Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal?

I'm looking to trade in a 2000 Honda Civic DX h/b for a Fit some time in the near distant future. We just had the 2000 stolen and recovered. Is it known at this time if the security measures on the Fit are enough to deter the common day thief?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any car can be stolen. I think what you're asking is will they be stolen right away? Who knows, I mean if the parts are interchangable with older EF/EG/EK Civics then i don't see wha not. Best bet is to get it anyway and secure it the best you can, that is all you can do. That is what insurance is for. o'll pay millions for insurance your entire life and you miht as well use it sometime.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (Noct)

Well both Fit Base and Fit Sport come with an ignition Immobilizer. The Fit Sport also comes with a security system. That's as good as it gets for an econobox.

Why was your 2000 Civic HB stolen? Was it modified in any way?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (corey415)

I remember the dealer pitching an option that gives you GPS tracking online, instant kill option via phone call and police notification. Seemed pretty interesting since you could track your car online and kill the engine! LOL
Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by corey415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well both Fit Base and Fit Sport come with an ignition Immobilizer. The Fit Sport also comes with a security system. That's as good as it gets for an econobox.

Why was your 2000 Civic HB stolen? Was it modified in any way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My wife's car is not modified in any way shape or form. The car is bone stock, not even tinted windows. We went to the mall and went in for less than an hour, came out and our car was gone. They thieves dumped it just a few rows down in the same parking structure due to being spooked by security. We did have a starter kill but she never uses it. Lesson learned though but still. Just knowing how easily someone can get in and start the car doesn't make me feel very secure. I'd rather invest in something that has a less risk of being stolen.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (dacalac*)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dacalac* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I remember the dealer pitching an option that gives you GPS tracking online, instant kill option via phone call and police notification. Seemed pretty interesting since you could track your car online and kill the engine! LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing is, this GPS brain would need some type of connectivity to the car. Otherwise how would it just shut the engine down you know? I'm guessing that the thieves, eventually, will learn where this device is and disable it upon stealing the car.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
We did have a starter kill but she never uses it. Lesson learned though but still. Just knowing how easily someone can get in and start the car doesn't make me feel very secure. I'd rather invest in something that has a less risk of being stolen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I dont think the 2000 Civic came with a factory immobilizer. That itself (on the Fit) should defeat the casual car theif. Did you HB have an alarm?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by corey415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I dont think the 2000 Civic came with a factory immobilizer. That itself (on the Fit) should defeat the casual car theif. Did you HB have an alarm?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortuantely the only thing the car had was a starter kill.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I guess the Fit Sport (with immobilizer and security system) would be harder to steal than your HB.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by corey415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I guess the Fit Sport (with immobilizer and security system) would be harder to steal than your HB. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My immobilizer is the only reason I still have my Integra.

It was parking on a busy street, directly under a street lamp, on a meter in front of a post office. They got in with a master key, tried to start it and couldn't. Tore out the rear seat looking for the fuel pump kill (there isn't one), pulled out the ECU, tried to pry it open for some reason, and left it in the car. Aparently, they eventually decided they couldn't drive it off, and just stole everything in the trunk and left the car. The ignition was still on, without a key in it, and no damage to any of the locks.

No, am immobilizer isn't the ultimate security measure. It did save my car though.

If none of the non-immobilized ECUs will run the Fit's engine, than thieves can't even bring their own ECU.

Nothing stops a flatbed though.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (TunerN00b)

any theft system can be overridden it just depends on how good the theifs are. GPS trackers cant help if the car is in a garage already getting torn apart for parts when you find it missing. As for the Fit I doubt it will get stolen too much because it doesnt come with anything that you would want to put in another vehicle unlike b series engines that seem to be in every fifth and sixth gen civics nowadays
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (CmptchAV6)

The fit is still new, barely on streets as we speak. For now, it should be pretty safe considering it has no desirable parts to use on other cars. The ones who need to worry are those who plan on swapping motors and dumping $$$ into their cars. I'm sure modified Fits will take hits sooner or later, it may be a couple yrs though. I highly doubt you will every have problems with a stock fit except maybe a broke window to steal a headunit or something.

For examples sake, think about RSX's. When they first came out, people were saying they wouldn't have issues. Now look at them, being vandalized/stolen quite often. I do understand it has more valuable parts than a Fit but I am using it to compare its security to a Fit's security. They both have pretty much the same systems. Breaking into a car, whether new or old is only a matter of time. Thieves will figure it out. Just get full coverage so you piece of mind.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: At this point and time, are the Fits easy to steal? (Nishant)

To the man up top... Read my signature.

Dude aint lying!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 AM

Not mine! I've got GPS tracking and I have it set to page me if it leaves my garage.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I miss Andrea.

I hope not...civics and tegs are taking all of that market