Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Myxal Reducing Diameter Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myxal Reducing Diameter Exhaust

I'm probably gonna catch some flack for this (Maybe a lot) but here it goes. Want to share an idea I have since I keep reading over and Over and OVER again that high revving Hondas make the most power with a 3" exhaust.

No...I am not going with 3". However, I do plan on going with 2.5"....sorta. I want to apply the same concept that I found works on the intake side with the exhaust side. I want to reduce the exhaust diameter by .25 every time it hits a 90 degree turn. This is to keep exhaust velocity high but avoid being restrictive from being to small. So this is what I want to do -->

I start with 2.5" 2nd cat (or just after it). Once it hits the 1st 90 degree turn, 2.25" piping. Hit 2nd 90 degree turn, 2" piping. Then through 2" resonator, then through muffler. I want to come to a compromise between top and and low end.

Any thoughts/feedback? :D

**Update** I'm already done with Stage 1 of this project. I couldn't get it out of my head so. Here is what I ended up with for the moment. I started with the 2nd cat, then opened the exhaust up to 2.5". It's 2.5" through both 90 degree bends then it goes to a 2.25" Resonator and a 2.25" Hi Pro Flow muffler.

And some pics of the setup. It's all 'crushed bend'. I know, I know....mandrel bends are the best. There are no mandrel benders out here and no aftermarket exhausts for this Fit yet so. Lets get her done!

The muffler used is a 2.25" Hi Pro Flow Max muffler. I had a 2" High Pro Flow Max on that I posted pics of. The car sounded now different than stock and it was a straight through muffler so I stuck with what worked. It's not pretty I know. Wasn't meant to be. When things get ugly, it's gonna look the part. hnoes: This ain't a show car.

The resonator I purchased was solely to keep exhaust gas velocity up but keep noise down. So I purchased a 2.25" Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. It was $91.50 from Verocious Motorsports. I drove down the street to pick it up to be installed.

Link to Resonator --> Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

I can't feel any loss of torque anywhere and it feels like the car can BREATHE. I'm doubting all my feelings on it and opinions. I need to record some runs and take it to the track to gather data. It's no longer quiet but a slight hum way in the background. Very low, deep! My wife didn't really notice it at all. No raspiness but the video I took of it makes it sound louder than what I thought it was. Doesn't sound like that from inside car. Will post up in a bit. It feels REALLY good though. Like it's faster but I call B.S. until I get real data.

This stage one. I have some testing to do than the 2nd cat may be replaced with a 2.5" unit or removed altogether.....NEXT WEEK. Stay tuned! :D

Gawd...the muffler sounds LOUD on here to me. Hahaha! I wonder who will win between it and the PRM intake you can hear in my other videos.

**Update 12-11-14**

Added a J'S RACING GK5 FIT3 SUS Circuit Converter AKA J's Racing Cat Delete. It bolted right up without any issues and came with a 'cap' to cap off the EGR.
The J's Racing cat delete pipe is 2" in diameter.

The J's Racing cat delete outlet flares up to about 2.25". This is important to know because if you bolt it up to the stock piping, the exhaust gases will come into contact wiyh the stock 'B' pipe inlet at the flange. This can cause some raspiness my mechanic told me. It'll definitely cause some turbulence and interrupt the exhaust flow somewhat. I'm not mechanic or expert but I'd recommend at least having a 2.25" B pipe (Mid-pipe) to connect to the J's racing cat delete. I had the flange widened up to 2.5". Please look at my pic above at the 2nd cat converter flange that mates up to the 'B' pipe. Look at the 'B' pipe's inlet and you'll notice how small it is before it opens up to 2.5". Then look at this.

Eliminating the cat converters brings out a LOT of exhaust noise. I already have a decent sized 2.25" Hi Pro Flo Max Muffler and 2.25" Ultra quiet Vibrant resonator and they both could not contain the beast. Loud is subjective and different with different people. My definition of loud exhaust is if you drive around for a while (Hours, Days, Weeks) and you still notice your exhaust, all the time, it's too loud. The whole 24hrs after J's racing cat pipe, I noticed the exhaust noise every moment of driving. I should've forgotten about it an hour or two after driving to think about other things and THEN notice the exhaust when my mind went back to it. Anyways.....I decided I needed another resonator added. So I picked up another Vibrant resonator BUT the exhaust shop suggested I go with a longer, slightly bigger muffler instead. So I compared the two.
Both are 2.25" in/out center. The top and left is a Xlerator muffler (Part# XS0425). The bottom and right is another 2.25" Vibrant Resonator. I chose to go with the muffler. It felt a little bit heavier so I was hesitant to get it but I reminded myself that I wanted to get rid of the high exhaust note. Both the resonator and muffler are straight through designs.

And before anyone says anything about adding restriction to the exhaust, just like Vibrant resonator that is already installed, the Xlerator muffler is a straight through design. It's not restrictive.

A close up look with the Ultra quiet Vibrant Resonator going into the Xlerator muffler.

A further out look of the whole exhaust, including the Hi Pro Flow Muffler.

Here is the whole exhaust breakdown!
1) 2" J's Racing Cat Delete Pipe,
2) 2.5" B-Pipe (Midpipe),
3) 2.25" Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator,
4) 2.25" Xlerator Muffler,
5) 2.25" Hi Pro Flow Max Muffler

I am totally and utterly happy. This is EXACTLY how I wanted my exhaust. I have no idea on how it performs. If I can test it at a track, I will as soon as I can (This weekend is last weekend track opens). I will be testing on my Android Torque software but I don't report those number. I'll know it works though by testing the 0-60, 1/4 mile time and hp/tq info as the software has been very consistent. So, I'm done with the exhaust. I still have a check engine code --> Check engine code read --> P0135 - Powertrain, O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1). I will work on that in due time.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 12-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Myxal Reducing Diameter Exhaust

This one will need testing. It's a fine balance between going small to keep up velocity balanced against just reducing back pressure. My thinking will be you are causing more restriction than you can gain by velocity as that far back the temperature drop of the gasses has reduced velocity anyway.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Myxal Reducing Diameter Exhaust

*12-11-14* Exhaust is now COMPLETE

Updated the first post with new parts to the exhaust. New parts include....
1) J's Racing Cat Delete,
2) 'B' Pipe (Midpipe) inlet flange modification,
3) 2.25" Xlerator Muffler added between Vibrant Resonator and Hi Pro Flow Max muffler.

Originally Posted by claymore
This one will need testing. It's a fine balance between going small to keep up velocity balanced against just reducing back pressure. My thinking will be you are causing more restriction than you can gain by velocity as that far back the temperature drop of the gasses has reduced velocity anyway.
Point taken! At this point though, I'm done investing in the exhaust for now. Perhaps If there is a forced induction setup that comes out.