Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Fit (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-fit-73/)
-   -   Fuel Mileage thread (Tips + Complaints) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-fit-73/fuel-mileage-thread-tips-complaints-1855324/)

wilsel 04-06-2007 05:38 AM

Re: (tehmarvin)

I think the main problem is people are not figuring their MPG the right way. You don't just say the gauge is at half a tank, and divide the miles driven by half the tank capacity. Gas gauges aren't all that accurate, not to mention there is a reserve of probably 2 gallons thats not indicated on the gauge.

You need to divide the miles driven by the amount of gallons it takes to fill it up again.

If your really getting less than 26mpg I feel bad. Cause I get that in our TL (and thats averaging 35 mph in city). I get 31-32 MPG on long highway trips. Thats with 270HP, and a lot more comfort.

eL 04-07-2007 12:06 AM

Im sure most of us at least know how to calculate mpg.

fitfreak3 04-07-2007 08:39 AM

Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im sure most of us at least know how to calculate mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

My fit was also getting 28-29 mpg, but the recent addition of a magnaflow muffler changed that to about 32.5 mpg. Hopefully the K&N intake will help me acheive better gas mileage as well https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

jrzy2nR 04-07-2007 03:28 PM

Re: (fitfreak3)

damn i just ordered my 07 blue fit sport MT two weeks ago i hope i can achieve its advertised mpg

DCKrnRacer 04-09-2007 08:39 AM

bad mileage

yeah my girl gets horible mileage with hers its for sure less than 25 prob closer to the 22ish city but even so high way isnt a whole lot better maybe just over 25 like at 26 or so

not to mention that my old gsr was getting better gas mileage than her fit
my is300 is getting just under and sometimes the same as the fit

Modified by DCKrnRacer at 2:36 PM 4/9/2007

eL 04-12-2007 10:31 PM

32.4mpg last fill up.

retroFIT 04-16-2007 06:35 PM

feck! I just got 26 last fill up.

I've been averaging 26 (past 2 fills)

Now I'm really looking into an intake, header and exhaust. http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif

fitfreak3 04-17-2007 02:30 PM

Re: (retroFIT)

Just wondering are you rolling on the stock rims or aftermarket?

vansprinkle 04-17-2007 04:07 PM

ive gotten between 31 and 33 mpg. that is with nearly all highway miles. i have put 1500 miles on the car in the 2 weeks i have had it.

and to the guy with the TL, that is funny because i have pulled 31 in my 04 S2K. i also thought it was kind of sad that my sports car got the same mpg as my commuter car.

i too am very dissapointed in the gas mileage. i have heard that toyota has had to change their rating on the prius because it was inaccurate. i wonder if honda will be forced to do the same?

retroFIT 04-17-2007 07:12 PM

stock rims.

I'm bummed https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif

fitfreak3 04-18-2007 09:40 AM

Re: (retroFIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by retroFIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock rims.

I'm bummed https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn that really sucks.

I was getting pretty much the same MPG as you but that was with my heavier 16" wheels.

retroFIT 04-18-2007 02:35 PM

At least you don't feel too bad since you had rims to look at https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

Payneful13 04-18-2007 02:43 PM

My worst MPG was 29.77 in all stop and go city driving with my 3500 watt system slamming the whole time.

Typical mix of highway/city driving to and from work and school runs me about 34ish MPG.

When I am light on the pedal and not rocketing from red lights...my personal best was 42.31 MPG.

I'll be adding a KnN air filter (might return it for the KnN intake system), opening up the exhaust soon and probably switching to HiPro plugs and wires...hopefully those will boost my MPG little by little. I'll let everyone know what I find when I find it.

eL 04-18-2007 06:18 PM

There's something fishy going on at Honda.

I drive very efficiently, as do other members here, and my all time best was 34mpg and 26 lowest with about 30-29mpg average.

This was the same deal with my 06 Civic... I couldn't get passed 32 with that thing with my average being 28mpg. Both were/are manual with me shifting at 3k and cruising the highway @ 60mph.

ImportechPerformance 04-19-2007 12:51 PM

Im telling you guys a 92vx hatch is where its all at! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

eL 04-19-2007 01:04 PM

...if you want to drive a 15-16yr old car https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

jetydosa 04-19-2007 03:00 PM

Re: (vansprinkle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vansprinkle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have heard that toyota has had to change their rating on the prius because it was inaccurate. i wonder if honda will be forced to do the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Toyota and Honda have nothing to do with mpg ratings. That info comes from the EPA not the vehicle manufacturer.

eL 04-19-2007 03:27 PM

If you're correct... and I'm not disputing that fact... why does the EPA seem to give such high mpg ratings over the real world numbers?

If I was to actually get 33/38 I'd be happy as hell.

TheMuffinMan 04-19-2007 04:02 PM

The EPA is changing their rating system I believe for the 08 models for all cars to be more accurate https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

elohel 04-23-2007 09:00 PM

Re: BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!! READ!!!! (1dumbassscreenname)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1dumbassscreenname &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, how many miles are on her car, early on many vehicles dont get very good gas mileage at all till the engine begins to break in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just a theory. I've never heard anyone offer a REASON for why breaking in the motor would induce better gas mileage. My civic has had the same shitty gas mileage since day one. At 8300ish miles, the engine is broken in.

JDM_CRX_PLEASE 04-24-2007 01:16 AM

maybe she has a heavy foot when taking off from a stop

i remember my friend use to do that when he first got his licnse and then one day he said outta nowhere...

"i need to stop flooring it from 0 - 45 , im wasting so much gas"

we were in highschool haha goodtimes driving around in his 88 seden corolla.

Payneful13 04-30-2007 03:19 PM

Better MPG

My K&N drop in filter raised my average MPG by about 1.5 - 2....so after 15k miles it will have paid for itself. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif lol

Hey eL, try shifting between 2k-2.5k RPM. Obviously dont impeed traffic on the highways...use common sence but try shifting before 2.5k RPM's. I try to keep mine under 2.5k, it's A/T with the paddle shift so when I hit 2.5k, I usually hit the paddle and make it shift. If it forces a downshift then I let off the gas a little bit.

eL 04-30-2007 05:26 PM

Re: Better MPG (Payneful13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Payneful13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My K&N drop in filter raised my average MPG by about 1.5 - 2....so after 15k miles it will have paid for itself. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif lol

Hey eL, try shifting between 2k-2.5k RPM. Obviously dont impeed traffic on the highways...use common sence but try shifting before 2.5k RPM's. I try to keep mine under 2.5k, it's A/T with the paddle shift so when I hit 2.5k, I usually hit the paddle and make it shift. If it forces a downshift then I let off the gas a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing there would be a difference in power @ 2,500 RPM on your auto and my manual. I think 2500 might be a tad bit low.

utnorris 04-30-2007 06:59 PM

Re: Better MPG (eL)

My first tank of gas is 35mpg and I wasn't driving to conservatively just enough to break the engine in like the owners manual states. I am tracking it and I think I will be able to hit 36mpg on average. I have MT and I have read that they get better gas mileage than AT Fits. Consumer Reports stated their average was 34 also, so I believe this should be the norm depending on your driving habits. I do admit it is hard not to want to get up and go in the Fit since its pretty fun to drive, even stock.

Utnorris

5gcivicsleeper 05-04-2007 03:10 AM

I'm getting 35 city, 38-40 highway. I shift around 3k and I drive 70 mph on the freeway. 2k rpm is a bit too low, I'd suggest 2.5k to 3k and accelerate smoothly and slow enough to not impede traffic.

Nice Fit 05-05-2007 10:30 PM

I have the Manual Sport with about 2200 miles, and using the cruise control and setting it at 60 mph, I can get 41 mpg on the highway. I had issues when I first got it, and learned to tweak the thingee to lean out the fuel delivery. Its called the gas pedal.

retroFIT 05-06-2007 04:28 AM

Re: (Nice Fit)

Just filled up the other day and had 27.5mpg (my best ever http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif )

I think I'm just not driving enough...

2 miles to school and 2 miles back a day then prob 5 miles anywhere else.

Is everyone else getting 30+ from highway? What about the short commuters?

diskodave 05-07-2007 11:27 AM

I just burned my first tank off gas. I drive a MT Sport w/ 700 miles. I usually drive 50/50 city/highway shifting from 3-3.5k rpm. I got slightly over 35MPG on my first tank. That is about 10MPG more then my old Toyota. I'm happy with the Fit's gas consumption, it meets the dealers MPG spec. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

eL 05-09-2007 01:58 AM

Took a trip from Philadelphia to Boston yesterday and with 90% Highway [cruising @65mph] and 10% city driving [Boston traffic sucks] I FINALLY reached a decent mpg rating of 37.2mpg.

diskodave 05-09-2007 09:41 AM

Well that is accurate since EPA states 38MPG for highway...

vansprinkle 05-09-2007 10:44 AM

Re: (diskodave)

yeah, last week i got 35 mpg on one tank, 34.6 on the other. and then this week i have gotten about 38 mpg. i did notice an improvement with the k&n drop in filter. for $33, you cant beat it. i also notice a small bump in power. it seems easier to climb hills and merge on to the highway now than it did before.

i think either this weekend or next i will get my first oil change and see what happens. i have around 3800 miles on the car now, and wouldnt mind getting the oil changed before the first 5k miles just to be on the safe side.

after my first 3 free oil changes are up ~15k miles, i will switch to mobil 1 and see what happens. 1-2 more horsepower and possibly 1-2 more mpgs.

eL 05-09-2007 01:10 PM

Re: (diskodave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diskodave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well that is accurate since EPA states 38MPG for highway...</TD></TR></TABLE>

My point is that even while driving as conservatively as possible on the streets I get crappy mileage, but on long highway trips the mileage is on point. When I mix highway/city, the mileage is still low.

The only way for me to get EPA numbers is by cruising 60-65mph and for hundreds of miles.

Fitfokker 05-09-2007 03:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vansprinkle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, last week i got 35 mpg on one tank, 34.6 on the other. and then this week i have gotten about 38 mpg. i did notice an improvement with the k&n drop in filter. for $33, you cant beat it. i also notice a small bump in power. it seems easier to climb hills and merge on to the highway now than it did before.

i think either this weekend or next i will get my first oil change and see what happens. i have around 3800 miles on the car now, and wouldnt mind getting the oil changed before the first 5k miles just to be on the safe side.

after my first 3 free oil changes are up ~15k miles, i will switch to mobil 1 and see what happens. 1-2 more horsepower and possibly 1-2 more mpgs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Getting better gas mileage by putting in a different, even less restrictive intake system will not give you better mileage. The physics just doesn't allow it. All you're doing is maybe increasing volumetric efficiency at wide open throttle which will then allow the motor to produce more torque and thus more hp. For any other throttle position the air/fuel demand is the same (at least to the cpu) and not restricted by the intake system. So yes, perhaps more top end power but not better fuel efficiency. Don't buy into the marketing hype. Same goes for pulleys. All bs.

You're playing on the danger side if you replace your oil before 5k. Read the manual. The engine is desinged to have a 'break in" with a particular oil for a particular amount of time that the manufacturer of your motor has spent lots of time and money concluding.

Mobile 1 will not give you better gas mileage than any other mineral or synthetic oil. It will allow you to increase your change interval though because it doesn't break down as fast as mineral oil. It has higher temp capacity too but the Fit motor will not push the limits of that oil (or probably any other oil).

vansprinkle 05-10-2007 03:18 PM

Re: (Fitfokker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitfokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Getting better gas mileage by putting in a different, even less restrictive intake system will not give you better mileage. The physics just doesn't allow it. All you're doing is maybe increasing volumetric efficiency at wide open throttle which will then allow the motor to produce more torque and thus more hp. For any other throttle position the air/fuel demand is the same (at least to the cpu) and not restricted by the intake system. So yes, perhaps more top end power but not better fuel efficiency. Don't buy into the marketing hype. Same goes for pulleys. All bs.

You're playing on the danger side if you replace your oil before 5k. Read the manual. The engine is desinged to have a 'break in" with a particular oil for a particular amount of time that the manufacturer of your motor has spent lots of time and money concluding.

Mobile 1 will not give you better gas mileage than any other mineral or synthetic oil. It will allow you to increase your change interval though because it doesn't break down as fast as mineral oil. It has higher temp capacity too but the Fit motor will not push the limits of that oil (or probably any other oil).</TD></TR></TABLE>

i could understand the hype, and it not helping really on the highway, but 100% of my driving is not highway. 75-80% is probably highway. so, why would a better air filter not work? i have honestly 100% truly noticed that my gas mileage went from a steady 33mpg for probably 5 tanks of gas, to 35 mpg after the air filter.

also, not oils are the same. one breaking down differently than the others is not the only difference between oils. some do protect better, and some can give equal or even greater protection while being thinner and allowing parts to move more easily. a lot of people have noticed better gas mileage with things like intakes(filters) and synthetic oil.

after changing the transmission oil and rear diff oil in my s2000 to amsoil, i have noticed better gas mileage.

indigo_dave 05-11-2007 07:02 AM

I haven't noticed anyone mention whether they use the AC when they are measuring their MPG. A year or two back I saw a piece on (I think) ABC's 2020 about mileage. They had a segment with an engineer from Consumer Reports. They said that mileage was better when you roll your windows down and leave the AC off. They said that the gas savings from not running the AC outweighed the wind drag from having the windows down.

At any rate, I drive a 97 Civic DX hatchback. I'm thinking seriously about either a Fit, Scion XD or Yaris hatchback this fall. Gas mileage is the MAJOR consideration for me. I expect it's becoming more of a consideration for many people as we see gas prices rise.

diskodave 05-11-2007 08:58 AM

Re: (indigo_dave)

I always drive with my windows down and never really use the A/C. First tank I got about 35.5mpg. The second tank I used my A/C several times to see if my mpg dropped and I got 33.5mpg. This is with the same driving patterns and route.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by indigo_dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't noticed anyone mention whether they use the AC when they are measuring their MPG. A year or two back I saw a piece on (I think) ABC's 2020 about mileage. They had a segment with an engineer from Consumer Reports. They said that mileage was better when you roll your windows down and leave the AC off. They said that the gas savings from not running the AC outweighed the wind drag from having the windows down.

At any rate, I drive a 97 Civic DX hatchback. I'm thinking seriously about either a Fit, Scion XD or Yaris hatchback this fall. Gas mileage is the MAJOR consideration for me. I expect it's becoming more of a consideration for many people as we see gas prices rise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BenB 05-12-2007 07:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My point is that even while driving as conservatively as possible on the streets I get crappy mileage, but on long highway trips the mileage is on point. When I mix highway/city, the mileage is still low.

The only way for me to get EPA numbers is by cruising 60-65mph and for hundreds of miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The EPA ratings are always a result of ideal conditions, in a perfect environment, doing everything possible to conserve gasoline.

I don't think anyone, in any make or model sees their EPA ratings on a daily basis. We are human and we do things like stomp the gas to pass, run the A/C full blast, etc.

In the end, I drive a super economical car with great reliability, so I am happy.

07ssmfit916 05-12-2007 10:16 AM

Re: (BenB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BenB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think anyone, in any make or model sees their EPA ratings on a daily basis. We are human and we do things like stomp the gas to pass, run the A/C full blast, etc.

In the end, I drive a super economical car with great reliability, so I am happy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can agree with that.. i do mostly city driving and i usually get 28 or 29.. and i do get on the gas more than i should.. but even driving conservatively i would get the exact same mileage with a 50/50 city/hwy split tank

Fitfokker 05-16-2007 02:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vansprinkle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i could understand the hype, and it not helping really on the highway, but 100% of my driving is not highway. 75-80% is probably highway. so, why would a better air filter not work? i have honestly 100% truly noticed that my gas mileage went from a steady 33mpg for probably 5 tanks of gas, to 35 mpg after the air filter.

also, not oils are the same. one breaking down differently than the others is not the only difference between oils. some do protect better, and some can give equal or even greater protection while being thinner and allowing parts to move more easily. a lot of people have noticed better gas mileage with things like intakes(filters) and synthetic oil.

after changing the transmission oil and rear diff oil in my s2000 to amsoil, i have noticed better gas mileage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry. But you are wrong. A different air filter cannot and does not increase the efficiency of an internal combustion engine keeping all other factors equal. It might only change your max torque or max hp curve at wide open throttle (but that would also mean using more fuel, of course). If you're still not convinced I suggest you do some research but don't suggest in a forum that you've concluded your air filter gives better gas mileage. That only perpetuates the myth.

However, many people see mpg improvement when they add these things to some cars: Some reasons for that are: 1. Their stock intake system was clogged/dirty and the MAF (or lack of one) was not accurate enough to compensate for the lower density air coming into the engine - producing an over-rich fuel air mixture. 2. The lack of a MAF (or an inaccurate one) will cause on over-lean mixture which uses less gas but produces more emissions and runs the engine hotter. Any combination of these factors is due to a change in the fuel air mixture the new filter has caused. This may or may not be diserable.

When you say a lot of people have noticed an increase in fuel economy when changing to a different oil or a different intake I wonder if the automobile industry people have noticed because they can then save billions of dollars by easily complying with federal regulations to increase gas mileage annually.

Modified by Fitfokker at 11:05 AM 5/17/2007

Payneful13 05-16-2007 03:42 PM

Re: (Fitfokker)

Miles - Gallons - MPG - Cost/Gal - Cost/Mile - Gas - Drive Style
308.9 - 8.238 - 37.50 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Cautious
292.6 - 8.325 - 35.15 - $2.80 - $0.08 - 93 - Idiotic (hit 100mph)
254.4 - 6.736 - 37.77 - $2.80 - $0.07 - 93 - Cautious
Less then 50% oil life
251.5 - 7.942 - 31.67 - $2.60 - $0.08 - 87 - Normal
262.1 - 8.394 - 31.22 - $2.60 - $0.08 - 87 - Normal
243.4 - 7.679 - 31.70 - $2.60 - $0.08 - 87 - Normal
237.3 - 7.746 - 30.64 - $2.60 - $0.08 - 87 - Aggressive
Changed oil
290.6 - 8.021 - 36.23 - $2.80 - $0.08 - 93 - Normal
273.6 - 7.278 - 37.59 - $2.80 - $0.07 - 93 - Cautious
K&N Air Filter added
278.9 - 7.452 - 37.43 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Normal
295.1 - 7.750 - 38.08 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Normal
308.1 - 8.5 00 - 36.25 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Normal
257.8 - 7.431 - 34.69 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Idiotic(ohio to wva-avg 85mph)
284.5 - 7.628 - 37.30 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Normal
294.8 - 8.354 - 35.29 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Aggressive
258.5 - 6.825 - 37.88 - $2.60 - $0.07 - 87 - Normal

I started keeping track of my MPG after I seen this thread. I have yet to match my best MPG as well as not hitting my worst MPG either.(both listed in my sig)

I had a string of 30-31 MPG when my oil life was below 50% and when the oil was changed, my MPG shot back up. One guy on here said oil can not help MPG....but my numbers show differently.

Modified by Payneful13 at 7:52 PM 5/16/2007

Modified by Payneful13 at 7:53 PM 5/16/2007