Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Fuel Mileage thread (Tips + Complaints)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (kusojiji)

yes sir, eL is the moderator of Fit forum. His word is bond.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (Sturmmann)

Roger that. What was the thread originally about? Only joking!

Bond is a nice group btw.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kusojiji)

I finally got 37.6 MPG this fillup on my automatic
I was constantly getting 29-31 MPG

Fuel used: Mobil 87 ocatane
Oil life: 80%
Mileage: 34,500
Aftermarket items: K&N Typhoon SRI, Magnaflow cat-back, Royal Purple Synthetic oil, 490kg Rays(Vesta) wheels 15x7

These are the things I did differently this time around.

1) Filled up with the gas pump on low setting.
2) Rarely shifted above 3000RPM (take it easy on the gas)
3) Kept the car at a constant speed never above 70MPH
4) Kept braking to a minimum and applied the brakes softly(ahead of time) when coming to a stop.
5) Always kept the windows closed

I'll keep trying other things to try to help increase my fuel economy
Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fitfreak3)

was that all city mileage?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Evil overlord #1

Fuel mileage tips

1. Don't buy an auto! (unless you live in a market that gets the CVT)
2. Run tyres at at least 36psi all round
3. Upchange before 2krpms where possible.

Driving my cousins Jazz with the 1.5 5 speed I average around 45-49 US mpg...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (07ssmfit916)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 07ssmfit916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was that all city mileage?</TD></TR></TABLE>
About 75% was highway, 25% city
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Re: BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!! READ!!!!

My wife and I have the same exact problem- getting about 26 MPG consistently - regardless of who is driving.

The driving tips posted before all seem like they might make a few mpg difference, but a 30% difference?

Is it possible that 1 in a hundred fits, or maybe all form 1 plant, have a defect that causes this problem? Has anyone who had this problem found a way to fix it?

Thanks
Mat
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (IB Adrian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IB Adrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fuel mileage tips

1. Don't buy an auto! (unless you live in a market that gets the CVT)
2. Run tyres at at least 36psi all round
3. Upchange before 2krpms where possible.

Driving my cousins Jazz with the 1.5 5 speed I average around 45-49 US mpg...</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!! READ!!!! (bucky4d4s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bucky4d4s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife and I have the same exact problem- getting about 26 MPG consistently - regardless of who is driving.

The driving tips posted before all seem like they might make a few mpg difference, but a 30% difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, driving habits can make a 30% difference in mileage, especially since you're in the "abnormally low" spectrum. If you're only getting 26mpg in a Fit, then you're either driving in conditions not conducive to fuel efficiency, or doing something drastically wrong. I get 26mpg in my 4WD AT CR-V.

I would imagine it's been cold up there in MA up until this point. A cold engine runs rich and burns more fuel, and takes much longer to warm up in cold weather. This can put a significant dent in your mileage. Do you let the car sit and idle to warm up on cold starts? Do you sit in traffic often or do most of your driving in stop-and-go conditions? All of these things will work against you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it possible that 1 in a hundred fits, or maybe all form 1 plant, have a defect that causes this problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone who had this problem found a way to fix it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Every time I find my mileage slipping, I watch and adjust my driving habits, and mileage improves to normal.

For example, I only averaged 32mpg for a recent tank in my '91 Civic STD. I carefully watched my driving habits and made sure to run the car in a fuel-efficient manner, and mileage rose back up to the normal 40mpg for the next tank. Depending on your perspective, that's either a 25% improvement, or a 20% loss that was recovered.

Modified by Targa250R at 3:49 PM 4/20/2008
Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!! READ!!!! (Targa250R)

do window visors and sunroof deflectors decrease mpg by ruining the aerodynamics?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BAD GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!! READ!!!! (dawanandonly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawanandonly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do window visors and sunroof deflectors decrease mpg by ruining the aerodynamics?</TD></TR></TABLE>the fit has aerodynamics of a brick, its not a prius or a f1 car.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Fuel Mileage thread (Tips + Complaints)

I also have a 2007 Fit Sport, auto tranny- with Horrible gas mileage...

Same as above, go about 100 miles per half tank...

Along with the mileage, also have issues with interior dome light running through bulbs in a few weeks, alarm/key sometimes doesn't work to lock/unlock my car, and the passenger air bag turns itself off/on whenever it wants... Scratchy tranny noises (did I mention the metal flakes when I changed the black tranny fluid out @30K mi.- from the factory)

Am totally fed up with my local Honda dealership, they have said my car gets 65, 50, & 40 MPG respectively in their MPG test... Also said the airbag can turn off/on based on the ''smarty pants" sensor in the seat, that can react to a cell phone on the seat, a passenger's movement or size, and outside electrical interfearance...

Am building a website dedicated to my lemon fit! Maybe become the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Am going to get a lawyer- to check out my/our options!!!

I am hoping to hear from others that have this issue, and that have resolved this issue. Please email me highOktane@hotmail.com, put honda fit in the subject line.

Respectfully,

Honda Lover

HighOktane
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Mileage thread (Tips + Complaints)

Hello HighOktane,

Speaking from the perspective of a service technician's point of view, (I have worked for Ford, Kia, and Mazda) it can be difficult to verify poor MPG performance when a customer complains of this. Why? For starters, I doubt that customers would appreciate driving their cars hundreds of miles to verify the problem, and wasting their gas. Secondly, who's gonna give the mechanic money to fill the car up twice in order to calculate gas mileage? Basically, we just have to take the customer's word for it.

Things I look for when trying to find a poor fuel economy culpit:

1. Underinflated tires - on my personal vehicle, I actually use a few PSI more than manufacturer recommended specs. I'm running 35 psi vs. the OEM specs of 32. I have found that this adds a bit to my MPG in exchange for a very slightly rougher ride.

2. Clogged air filters - this would be the second leading cause that I have found for poor MPG.

3. Any problem recognized by the engine computer (ECU) that is significant enough to cause a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to register in the computer's memory. Examples of sensor problems usually recognized by the computer that can reduce fuel economy: dirty oxygen sensors, faulty EGR sensors and dirty EGR valves, faulty mass air flow sensors, and faulty MAP sensors. Any time there is a problem with one of these paticular sensors, the ECU puts itself into a default mode until the problem is fixed. The default mode the computer operates under is preprogrammed to deliver more fuel to the engine to ensure it never runs lean, thereby preventing spark knock and possible engine damage. If you have a scan run of your OBDII ECU, and there are no DTC's in the ECU's memory, then you can consider your engine management system okay.

3. On rare occasions, I have seen catalytic converters break apart and clog exhaust systems, thereby reducing an engine's breathing capacity.

4. I have seen brake calipers and poorly adjusted drum brakes drag, causing a significant reduction in vehicle performance and MPG.

5. An alignment that is severely out of whack can affect mileage (and also wear your tires out quickly)

Regarding your comments on the passenger air bag warning light, it seems several manufacturer's are having issues with these things. When I was with both Kia and Mazda, this was also a common concern. Sometimes I had to replace the passenger weight sensor two or three times before I found one that was working correctly. Given that these new smart airbag systems are still a relatively new technology, I think it will take a bit of time for all the bugs to be worked out by the manufacturers. For Kia, we had issues with the warning light being too senstive, but all we had to do was reprogram the passenger air bag control module with new parameters that were not so senstive. Maybe there is something Honda can do for this also?

Regarding the key fob, have you tried to put a new battery in it? For most of my customers, new batteries resolve their concerns 99% of the time. Most times, it is not a defective fob. But every now and then, I do identify a bad fob.

As far as dome lights go, are you sure that the proper bulb is being replaced? Like, exactly the right part number? I have found that today's vehicles are more particular than ever regarding bulb replacement. If you're putting Auto Zone bulbs in, try a dome light bulb from the dealer and see what happens. (shouldnt be too much more expensive) Also, do you have a sound system in your car with amps and subs? I have found that for reasons unknown to me, that vehicles with serious sound systems tend to burn through a lot of small bulbs on their cars... parking lamps, dome lamps, third brake lamps, etc.

Hope this helps!