Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Fit 2008 Has Hiccups and Stalled at Red Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit 2008 Has Hiccups and Stalled at Red Light

Hello everyone! I'm new here and it seems I've come to the right place.

I bought a used Honda Fit Sport (2008 Automatic) from a used car dealership here in San Diego exactly 3 months and 3 days ago, so there goes that 90 day warranty. Hurray. While I've gotten used to it downshifting at red lights, making kind of a *thump* noise and feeling, I've noticed over the past week or so that it almost seems like it has the hiccups when stopped at red lights. I counted over fifteen various *thumps* in about a five minute period. Otherwise, it runs perfectly so I thought maybe it was the drastic over 100 degree heat wave we just went through.

However, today as I was stopped, foot on only the brake, it died on me and the battery light and the oil light came on. I was in a panic, so I turned the engine completely off (there were people behind me) and back on. It started again fine, and I was able to get home.

Any idea what could cause this? The CarFax report was clean, and I got it from a certified dealership with killer Yelp reviews! Please help!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fit 2008 Has Hiccups and Stalled at Red Light

Your list of symptoms means that your used Fit needs some or all of the following: 1. valve clearance adjustment, 2. new spark plugs, 3. new coil packs.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by manxman
Your list of symptoms means that your used Fit needs some or all of the following: 1. valve clearance adjustment, 2. new spark plugs, 3. new coil packs.
Since all of that sounds completely Greek, would you recommend a dealership at this point (I'll be begging for the warranty tomorrow since they are closed today), or find a trustworthy auto shop nearby? Also, is it even drivable at this point?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrassRaven
Since all of that sounds completely Greek, would you recommend a dealership at this point (I'll be begging for the warranty tomorrow since they are closed today), or find a trustworthy auto shop nearby? Also, is it even drivable at this point?
All of the procedures that I listed are standard maintenance items for all Fits. All of your symptoms have been complained about by hundreds of other Fit owners on many different Fit forums. You can probably safely drive around in your Fit if you can put up with random stalling, though under certain circumstances, that can get you killed. If the selling dealer will do these repairs under your warranty, then great- get it done ASAP.

Most Fit owners do not trust dealership repairs or maintenance work because dealerships don't always do good work but always charge too much compared with quality independent shops.

If your Fit has 50K or more on the odometer and you do not have service paperwork showing that the valves have recently been adjusted, then getting them adjusted now will probably cure your symptoms. If it does not, then go on to the plugs and coil packs. You will probably need the plugs and coil packs by the time you get to 100K miles, but they can fail and cause engine misfires at any time with no guarantees on the lifespan of either plugs or coil packs. If you don't have the ability to do this work yourself, then you are looking at a pretty expensive repair bill. It is very unlikely that your selling dealer did any of this work before the sale.

Take a look at any other Fit forum and you will find hundreds of posts concerning the causes and cures for engine misfire (stuttering) conditions.

Good luck! After the engine work is done and the car runs fine again, you should plan on a brake fluid change, auto transmission fluid change, and radiator coolant change based on the age of the car.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by manxman
quick question, can these also contribute to lowish MPG?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Absolutely. Cylinder misfire/stuttering/stalling means that one or more cylinders are not producing the power to turn the crankshaft and unburned fuel is going out the exhaust system.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Trial User

I have similar problem with my 2007 Fit Sport. I have changed the spark plugs and coil packs, problem is still there. Now I need to connivance my mechanic to do a valve adjustment for me. Last time I told him about it, he said the valve adjustment has nothing to do with this problem.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your mechanic has never worked on a Fit I will bet. This is a COMMON problem and is easily cured by running the valves.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Trial User

Good to know, thanks for telling me. I will talk to my mechanic after the new year.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's really not hard to do yourself just a bit time consuming and you HAVE to follow directions.

DIY adjusting valve clearences GD - Honda Fit Forums
Old 12-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Trial User

I have the same problem - my Fit almost stalls when either the AC is on or the Defrost is on. I have alsready spent $600 on this at the dealer and it's still not fixed.