Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Brake line freezes during first winter snow after flooding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line freezes during first winter snow after flooding

I use to park my manual transmission 2013 Fit in a 3rd level sub-basement. There was flooding, which reached 2 inches above the floor. Insurance cover remediation by a Honda service centre, which involved replacing the carpet and all electronics at that level. I got the car back in March/April time frame, well after winter.

My city got its real taste of winter last week, with slush and snow. The parking brake line froze, which I don't recall from previous years. It seems to have abated, but I wonder whether it is worth taking a look at to see if it is related to the flooding?

I wouldn't think that the current problem is related to the flooding, given the passage of time since the flood. But I'm not sure how these brake line systems are designed. Maybe it is possible for water to stay in them for so long a time. Are the cables made of rust-proof metals, with water allowed to drain out of the protective sheath, or is the encasement relied upon to be water resistant (and hence, probably water retaining)?

Last edited by newFitOwner; 11-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brake line freezes during first winter snow after flooding

You must be talking about your parking brake cables. The regular brakes are SEALED hydraulic systems. And enough time has passed that any water from the flooding in your parking brake cables has long since disappeared.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I am in fact talking about my parking brakes, as I drive a manual transmission. I've updated my original post accordingly.

Thanks for your explanation that the cables should be free of any water from the flooding. It must be the weather these days, which seems to fluctuate above and below freezing.

However, I've never noticed this problem in past winters. What kind of problem would give rise to this?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you use it frequently? The more it is used the more the cables move and are less prone to freezing. I would suggest pulling it up just enough to prevent unwanted movement of the Fit if you set it very tight it makes it that much harder to release if it becomes frozen.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, use the parking brake whenever I'm idling. I only pull it up enough to stop the car from rolling. Thanks.