Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Best engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (onefstek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used torco for a while, but I just dont' like it the way it stains your engine. Especially with fi cars. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is an "fi" car?

Will probably switch to whatever full synthetic is on sale after the break-in period as this might be better for 5k changes around 6 months.

About the "Eneos Oil", power gains are one thing, have you seen documentation that it is proven better at protecting engine parts long term? Is it good for he 5k changes?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Swifty1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swifty1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What is an "fi" car?

Will probably switch to whatever full synthetic is on sale after the break-in period as this might be better for 5k changes around 6 months.

About the "Eneos Oil", power gains are one thing, have you seen documentation that it is proven better at protecting engine parts long term? Is it good for he 5k changes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

FI = Forced Induction
Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best engine oil (HondaCVT)

5w20 you pick the make, doesnt really matter. youre not driving a race car now.
just change it every 3 to 5 thousand and youre good to go.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best engine oil (ucd_4_life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucd_4_life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5w20 you pick the make, doesnt really matter. youre not driving a race car now.
just change it every 3 to 5 thousand and youre good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it does matter what you are going to use.

it matters where you live, what kind of driving you do, how many times you start your car, how long you drive etc..........

it matters, cuz most of the damage to an egine is done on cold starts

it matters, cuz some oils brake down faster then others

it matters, cuz most oils don't protect over a certain point

it matters, cuz not all oils are made equal.

Call Porche dealer and ask them how long they recomend for oil changes.

Well they use 20,000 mile oil change intervals. Why you ask, because the oil needs time to perform its "duties". Changing it to early could be just as bad as changing it too late.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 AM

I'd stick with OE oil until the car is properly broken into.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Re: (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well they use 20,000 mile oil change intervals. Why you ask, because the oil needs time to perform its "duties". Changing it to early could be just as bad as changing it too late.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That change interval is a whole new dimension to this issue of best oil, for me. Does Porche OEM synthetic as I think BMW and Mercedes are loading their engines? I'd love to be able to load up my Fit with full synth. and let her go about 10k or more, but I feel better with about a 5k change.
What are the duties the oil needs to perform at longer change intervals?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swifty1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That change interval is a whole new dimension to this issue of best oil, for me. Does Porche OEM synthetic as I think BMW and Mercedes are loading their engines? I'd love to be able to load up my Fit with full synth. and let her go about 10k or more, but I feel better with about a 5k change.
What are the duties the oil needs to perform at longer change intervals?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I agree. 20k miles interval is a new concept but to say that you shouldn't do it earlier because the oil needs to finish some "duty' makes no sense.

Bottom line: If you need to ask what kind of oil is best for your Fit than any API spec M oil will do just fine - mineral or synthetic. That's what the manua says too so why sweat it. If you're a builder of racing engines or race your car on a track and treat it very harshly then you already know all about oils.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fitfokker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitfokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah I agree. 20k miles interval is a new concept but to say that you shouldn't do it earlier because the oil needs to finish some "duty' makes no sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It might make no sense, but its true. If you change an oil that its meant to last for 20,000 miles too soon it can be just as bad.

Even some manufactures tells you that in the owners manual that changing your oil too soon can be detremental to your engine.

So if when you choose your oil you are going to run in your car, make sure that you use it the way it was intended to be used.

ITS BEEN BEATEN INTO OUR HEADS FOR TOO LONG THAT WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL AT 3,000 MILES "OR ELSE"

Thats not ture anymore with the help of syntetic oils. Take Amsoil for an example, it has 7,000/25,000 and 35,000 mile oil. Its made to protect and last the ammount of miles they say it does.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It might make no sense, but its true. If you change an oil that its meant to last for 20,000 miles too soon it can be just as bad.

Even some manufactures tells you that in the owners manual that changing your oil too soon can be detremental to your engine.

So if when you choose your oil you are going to run in your car, make sure that you use it the way it was intended to be used.

ITS BEEN BEATEN INTO OUR HEADS FOR TOO LONG THAT WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL AT 3,000 MILES "OR ELSE"

Thats not ture anymore with the help of syntetic oils. Take Amsoil for an example, it has 7,000/25,000 and 35,000 mile oil. Its made to protect and last the ammount of miles they say it does. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If something doesn't make sense, and you can't provide reasoning for it, then don't take it for truth just because someone told you so. The only time it's not ok to change your oil is the original oil in a new engine that's spec'd by the manufacturer to provide the wear-in they're looking for in their engines. Once that's done, and someone tells you it's bad to change your oil after 5k miles they're nuts.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It might make no sense, but its true. If you change an oil that its meant to last for 20,000 miles too soon it can be just as bad.

Even some manufactures tells you that in the owners manual that changing your oil too soon can be detremental to your engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

onefstek, what specific evidence can you offer for the premise that changing oil " . . . too soon . . ." can be detrimental to an engine? I am really interested in any empirical data showing that changing oil, even synthetic, every 5k is detrimental in any way.

Modified by Swifty1 at 6:56 PM 10/10/2006

Modified by Swifty1 at 6:57 PM 10/10/2006
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swifty1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am really interested in any empirical data showing that changing oil, even synthetic, every 5k is detrimental in any way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have any studies to share?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Porche maintenance intervals

General Motors Theory

Independent Test

Modified by onefstek at 12:18 AM 10/11/2006
Old 10-10-2006, 03:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Porche maintenance intervals

General Motors Theory

Independent Test

Modified by onefstek at 12:18 AM 10/11/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Need time to review the Independent Test.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Porche maintenance intervals

General Motors Theory

Independent Test

Modified by onefstek at 12:18 AM 10/11/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nowhere does it say it's detrimental to change the oil more often. Those write-ups simply stated that it's ok to go longer.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitfokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nowhere does it say it's detrimental to change the oil more often. Those write-ups simply stated that it's ok to go longer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, and you will not find many places that is going to say that. But in some manufactures owner manuals it will say that.

Im not saying that it will ruin your engine if you do it onece or twice, but over extensive period of time, it could. Especially with synthetic oils.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True, and you will not find many places that is going to say that. But in some manufactures owner manuals it will say that.
Im not saying that it will ruin your engine if you do it onece or twice, but over extensive period of time, it could. Especially with synthetic oils. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would changing synthetic oils at any interval other than too long adversely affect an engine?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would use the 0w20 or 5w20. at our dealership (norm reeves honda in cerritos) we sell: ams oil, mobil 1, eneos (#1 oil in japan, also seen on billboards in the notorious game, Gran Turismo 4), torco, and of course the factory honda oil.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would changing synthetic oils at any interval other than too long adversely affect an engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't explain it verry good, but this is the way I understand it and it has to do with the additives in the oil. Changing it too soon it does not allow all the addititves to wear out and once you change the oil and add new oil with new additives then you have too much additives in the oil.

Addititves in the oil will cling to enging parts and form a film, last defence for your motor to prevent metal to metal contact. If you have too much of the additives then it will add up over time and could affect the cleareances in your motor. Then oil will not be able to form a nice film between your eng parts.

I hope this makes sence to you guys.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't explain it verry good, but this is the way I understand it and it has to do with the additives in the oil. Changing it too soon it does not allow all the addititves to wear out and once you change the oil and add new oil with new additives then you have too much additives in the oil.

Addititves in the oil will cling to enging parts and form a film, last defence for your motor to prevent metal to metal contact. If you have too much of the additives then it will add up over time and could affect the cleareances in your motor. Then oil will not be able to form a nice film between your eng parts.

I hope this makes sence to you guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you've explained your reasons not to change the oil too often. So that clears that up. But now I'm curious about what additives in a synthetic oil would cling to metal parts. That would assume there's something in the oil that's suspended and not in solution with the oil. I thought additives in oil were to keep if from breaking down and also to control viscosity (as in to create the 0w20 rating or whatever). Please post references.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Amsoil Additives
Old 10-14-2006, 04:15 AM

Default Re: (kyeguy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyeguy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would use the 0w20 or 5w20. at our dealership (norm reeves honda in cerritos) we sell: ams oil, mobil 1, eneos (#1 oil in japan, also seen on billboards in the notorious game, Gran Turismo 4), torco, and of course the factory honda oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Interesting that a dealer sells various synthetics - neat. I'll probably use Mobil1 or equivalent then after the recommended break-in period with the oem oil, then change @5k, I do a some short runs and not much highway on the Fit - course that's when I actually do get one!

What's better and recommended for middle northern latitudes in the USA? This 0w and 5W-20 is new to me, my other newer cars all used 5W-30, and of course the old '86 Civic was 10w-30 or the like I think. Guess thinner oil is better now.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 0w20 is what we recommend for the lower emission vehicles. it's keyed as the "ultimate fuel saving" oil grade, by the certain maunfacturer (probably am going to get flamed by Fitfokker, but oh well). Its made/suited for hybrids and lev's.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Just use any oil with an API spec of "SM". That is the latest SAE specification for cars and it supercedes earlier designations of SJ or SL. An oil with an SM rating can be mineral or synthetic. You'll see a circular stamp like this http://api-ep.api.org/quality/...00000. The API spec is on top and the viscosity is in the middle. You should use the Honda recommended viscosity of 5w20.

Humm, FYI, API ratings are in most part a MINIMUM standard. It is in place so that cheap petro companies cannot go any LOWER in Quality. There are some API tests that also have a Maximum level, Such as Phos which will contaminate the cat and even leave deposits on the O2 sensor if the level is to high. (I am not convinced that SM is the best for HIGH PERFORMANCE over SL.) High quality oil companies that have a reputation to uphold do not play at the API MIN levels. (maximums of course are watched)
If you are convinced that the people posting here drive like wimps and never push their engine past the range of "normal driving" then any API SM SYN oil is OK.
SO, to say just use any SM is like saying all z rated tires perform the same be it a RADIAL, directional or not.... Or how about brake fluids, DOT 4 says minimum dry boil is 446F but I use RBF600 which is a DOT 4 and has a dry boil of 594F. SAME DOT Spec but way past in high temp performance keeping me a little safer when I am driving a bit past "normal"
Just my 2 cents... regards