Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Best engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine oil

Whats the best oil/Grade you have used on your Honda FIT gents?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Best engine oil (HondaCVT)

Kinda like asking what kind of soap you use to wash your car. It hardly matters. If you use the correct API spec oil quoted in the owners manual you will not go wrong. Some wacky people, including myself, require 20x overkill and use Mobil 1 or some other even more expensive synthetic. Unless you've got a oil cooled turbo engine in your Fit (I do not) that you beat the crap out of on a track then any properly specified mineral oil will do more than enough.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
ED7

Default Re: Best engine oil (HondaCVT)

Look in your owners manual and do what that says.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best engine oil (ED7)

I'm sticking with OE Honda on my Fit. They actually recommend 5w-20.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can give Amsoil a try. you won't be dissapointed.

they have 100% Synthetic oil for every car.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best engine oil (SuzukaBlueAP2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuzukaBlueAP2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sticking with OE Honda on my Fit. They actually recommend 5w-20.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Best engine oil (jo3blo3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jo3blo3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys are talking about 2 different things. Oil weight and oil specification. Oil weight, like "5w20", has nothing to do with the API specification of the oil. It's that spec that's important. The weight, or viscosity, tells you what ambient temperatures you can operate your car in. 5w20 covers pretty much any temperature you're likely to see between the north pole and south pole.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should call Honda and ask them about Synthetic oil for the Fit
Old 08-19-2006, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onefstek)

im a honda tech... 5w-20... all honda 4 cyl take 5w-20 full syn...
Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (honda head)

5w20 Mobil1 is the best. hands down. do I use it? no, it's to expensive but Mobile1 is the best oil you can buy, it's proven. it's the only oil certain car manufactures use by name. pop the hood of a vette sometime... right on the cap it says use ONLY Mobile1.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5w20 Mobil1 is the best. hands down. do I use it? no, it's to expensive but Mobile1 is the best oil you can buy, it's proven. it's the only oil certain car manufactures use by name. pop the hood of a vette sometime... right on the cap it says use ONLY Mobile1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh it is? You're either a shill or an aspiring shill... or just dumbass. What does "it's proven" mean? I hate people who write **** about things they don't know squat about for the purpose of obtaining some kind of net-notariety. Amsoil thinks they're the best and so do a lot of people in the racing industry. http://www.lubes-n-filters.com....html What kind of research besides lifting the hood of a Vette have you done to convince us "hands down" Mobile 1 is the best?

Just use any oil with an API spec of "SM". That is the latest SAE specification for cars and it supercedes earlier designations of SJ or SL. An oil with an SM rating can be mineral or synthetic. You'll see a circular stamp like this http://api-ep.api.org/quality/...00000. The API spec is on top and the viscosity is in the middle. You should use the Honda recommended viscosity of 5w20.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (Fitfokker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitfokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh it is? You're either a shill or an aspiring shill... or just dumbass. What does "it's proven" mean? I hate people who write **** about things they don't know squat about for the purpose of obtaining some kind of net-notariety. Amsoil thinks they're the best and so do a lot of people in the racing industry. http://www.lubes-n-filters.com....html What kind of research besides lifting the hood of a Vette have you done to convince us "hands down" Mobile 1 is the best? </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

your a funny guy

keeping it short... I work for Honda and have been to training just last month on this exact subject. Mobil1 leads in most catagories and has been proven to be the leader in synthetic oils

carefull who you TRY to flame noob
Old 08-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol

your a funny guy

keeping it short... I work for Honda and have been to training just last month on this exact subject. Mobil1 leads in most catagories and has been proven to be the leader in synthetic oils

carefull who you TRY to flame noob </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't work for any oil company and neither do you. If you said you were the cheif chemist I Chevron then that might be interesting.

If you do your research you'll find most oil companies will happily provide their own test data to back up their conclusions that their product is the best. Amsoil, Mobile 1, Castrol, etc... all do that. Mobile 1 is a good product as you allude to but there are plenty of others. And as I've posted before, a Fit's engine components will not come close to the test conditions these companies subject their oil tests to. That's why I suggested to just stick to an API "M" specification and 5w20 weight and one can't go wrong.

Also keep in mind that business partnerships play a role in what Honda is going to tell you about the oil brand they use.

I'm not a noob and best wishes with your job at Honda.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Royal Purple Synthetic motor oil
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda Japan recommended Honda's Ultra GOLD engine oil 5w40 for high performance usuage so I will give that a try.

Motul 0W30 will be my second choice.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 AM

Honda OE 5w20, i'll send it to Blackstone for testing, then either stick with it, or switch to something comparable. I'd like to see how the OE synthetics compare to GC 0w30 and M1 5w20.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are a lot of differences between the conventional oil and synthetic oils.

"Motor oil is the primary determinant in the durability of an engine. It contains
two basic components: base stocks and additives.

Base Stocks
The base stock is the bulk of the oil.
The base stock lubricates internal moving parts, removes heat and seals piston rings.

Motor oil base stocks can be made from: 1) Petroleum, 2) chemically synthesized materials, 3) a combination of synthetics and petroleum (called para-synthetic, semisynthetic or synthetic blend.)

A petroleum base stock consists of many different oil fractions that form the final product. Generally, molecules of a petroleum base stock are long carbon chains that can be sensitive to the stress of heat and boil off at relatively low temperatures.
Engine temperatures break down these molecular chains, changing the physical properties (such as viscosity) of the motor oil. The difference with synthetic base
stocks is that molecules are uniformly shaped, which makes them more resistant to the stress of heat.
Because AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils possess these uniformly shaped molecules, they have a low boil off rate. Thus, their physical properties (such as viscosity) do not change.

Additives

The various chemicals that comprise the additive system in motor oils function to provide anti-wear, antifoam, corrosion protection, acid neutralization, maintenance of viscosity, detergency and dispersancy. These are the chemicals that help modern motor oils meet the increasing demands of todays high-tech
engines. Their quality varies widely throughout the lubrication industry,
ranging from a bare minimum in some oils (to comply with certain requirements) to exceptionally high quality, as in all AMSOIL Motor Oils.

What a Motor Oil Must Do

Modern motor oil is a highly specialized product carefully developed by engineers and chemists to perform many essential functions.
A motor oil must:
Permit easy starting
Lubricate engine parts and prevent wear
Reduce friction Protect against rust and corrosion
Keep engine parts clean
Minimize combustion chamber deposits
Cool engine parts Seal combustion pressures
Be nonfoaming
Aid fuel economy

Improvements in Oil

The quality of motor oil has changed dramatically in the past 30 years and new demands on lubricants in modern engine design call for oils that meet stringent requirements.
Variations in an oil ability to meet the requirements determine which service classification rating and viscosity grade it receives.
Service classifications are determined by the American Petroleum Institute. Viscosity grades of oils are etermined by the Society of Automotive Engineers. These two organizations long have set industry standards for motor oils.

Viscosity

Viscosity, the most important property of an oil, refers to the oil resistance to flow.
The viscosity of oil varies with changes in temperature thinner when hot, thicker when cold.
An oil must be able to flow at cold temperatures to lubricate internal moving parts upon starting the engine. It must also remain viscous or enough to protect an engine at high operating temperatures. When an oil is used at a variety of temperatures, as it is in most engines, the change of viscosity with temperature variation should be as small as possible.
The measure of an oil viscosity change is called the Viscosity Index Number (VI); the higher the number, the smaller the viscosity change which means the better the oil protects the engine.
The number does not indicate the actual viscosity in high and low temperature extremes of the oil.
It represents the rate of viscosity change with temperature change. Viscosity Improvers are viscous chemical compounds called polymers or polymeric compounds that decrease the rate at which oils change viscosity with temperature. These viscosity modifiers extend a motor oil operating temperature range and make multigrade or allseason oils possible.
The VI is measured by comparing the viscosity of the oil at 40°C (104°F) with its viscosity at 100°C (212°F). VI can provide insight into an oil ability to perform at high and low temperatures. Petroleum-based motor oils require the use of viscosity improvers to meet the low temperature requirements of SAE 0W, 5W or 10W and the high temperature requirements of SAE 30 or heavier oil. Synthetic-based motor oils have a naturally high viscosity index and require less viscosity improver additive than petroleum oils.

SAE Viscosity Grade and Outdoor Temperature Choose winter oil according to the lowest temperature your region experiences and your summer oil according to the highest temperatures your region experiences."

Modified by onefstek at 3:56 PM 8/22/2006
Old 08-22-2006, 08:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are a lot of differences between the conventional oil and synthetic oils....

Modified by onefstek at 3:56 PM 8/22/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey wow, you can cut-and-paste useless information without even providing the references. Fabulous!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitfokker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey wow, you can cut-and-paste useless information without even providing the references. Fabulous!</TD></TR></TABLE>

and how did you determine that its "useless"??? did you actually take the time to read it??? if you did read it and came to the conclusion that its "useless" then you should just do some more research.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefstek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and how did you determine that its "useless"??? did you actually take the time to read it??? if you did read it and came to the conclusion that its "useless" then you should just do some more research. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Useless in the context of the OP.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 PM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Doesn't really answer your question, but that site contains more information about oil than I could ever absorb.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone finds that Mobil 1 runs at a high temperature and is more noisy when you rev the engine.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use Mobil 1 on all my cars. However, I'm about to make a switch from Mobil 1 to Eneos Oil(Nippon Oil Corporation). Its the #1 oil in Japan, and just like Torco oil, is proven for power gains! I work for Honda as well and this is a new brand of oil that we are starting to carry for the "performance-minded" guys/gals. Look Eneos up, trust me you won't be disappointed. If you don't know where to find this stuff, you can also come here, at Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA.

I switch off on 5w30 and 5w20. But do make sure that you stick with your "break-in oil" that comes already inside. This will ensure proper break-in by Honda's standards. After that, feel free to use any oil other there. Eneos is my oil of choice, Mobil 1 was, but I'm an enthusiast and I'm constantly on the prowl to improve every aspect of my cars.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Re: (kyeguy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyeguy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use Mobil 1 on all my cars. However, I'm about to make a switch from Mobil 1 to Eneos Oil(Nippon Oil Corporation). Its the #1 oil in Japan, and just like Torco oil, is proven for power gains! </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're another sucker for corporate marketing strategies.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used torco for a while, but I just dont' like it the way it stains your engine. Especially with fi cars.

Quick Reply: Best engine oil