Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

I have a 07 fit that keeps blowing the IG fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 07 fit that keeps blowing the IG fuel pump fuse

I turned off the highway a few days ago and the car did not wanna go anywhere. I pushed the petal all the way to the floor but it wasn't going anywhere. Like the car wasn't getting fuel. I barley made it home. The following morning the car started fine but was doing the same thing w/ the gas. I tried to drive it to run an errand and I got to the store and I turned it off. And when I got back in the car the whole cabin was filled w/ a smoke that smelled like oil/fuel. I called AAA to tow me home and the driver and I found the IG fuel pump fuse was bad. Well I swapped the fuse w/ another 15amp fuse and I didn't even turn the car on. I just turned the keys all the way on and it blew the second fuse I put in spot #11 on the Interior fuse panel. I have no idea what the problem is and what is causing this problem. Please help
Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a 07 fit that keeps blowing the IG fuel pump fuse

It seems like something is causing a short circuit in the harness protected by your #11 fuse. Check for rodent damage under the hood on all wires that you can see and feel. I suggest that you try to find a local independent (NOT a dealer) that specializes in electrical problems. I live in a small town, and there are several auto electrical repair shops within 15 miles.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the inside and outside harnesses and can't find damage to the wires. That's why I didn't know if maybe it was something dealing w/ the fuel pump itself and thanks will check into those.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If old age and bearing wear caused the fuel pump to freeze up, it could cause it to require enough excess current to blow the fuse. If the pump is dead (located in the fuel tank), and if you have access to the GD Fit shop manual, it would be possible for you to replace the pump yourself and save a lot of money. Good luck, but you probably won't need it.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the GD fit manual? Like a Haines manual? The big ones you can buy from local auto parts stores? And is there an access panel to the top of the fuel pump in the tank? Or do I have to drop the tank to get to it? Cause I've replaced fuel pumps before in my Beamers and that had an access panel one in the trunk the other under the back seat. I went looking for the one in the fit today and couldn't find one. And do you know if the fuel pump in the tank has terminals on it? Because I'm wondering if it's a bad ground somewhere from the fuel pump to the main fuse panel under the steering wheel. Thanks for all the help man!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pump is inside the fuel tank which is located below the shifter console. there are only a few screws holding the console in place remove them and look at the floor there. there is a big round ring with slots aroubnd it holding the pump assembly in place. There is a special tool to remove it but it can be done with blocks of wood and a hammer to spin it off.

The whole assembly comes out the top and the pump is part of the larger assembly.

go here but note the photos open using IE but NOT firefox.

Fuel Pump/Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Replacement (Without ETCS)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for thatl link! That is a huge help!! But what gets me is how can the fuel pump be under the little center console and the E-brake? That is a super weird place for it. After the tech at the local Honda dealership here in Orlando told me it was inside of the gas tank itself... But again thanks for that. Will go digging into it when j can.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 07fiit
What is the GD fit manual? Like a Haines manual? The big ones you can buy from local auto parts stores? And is there an access panel to the top of the fuel pump in the tank? Or do I have to drop the tank to get to it? Cause I've replaced fuel pumps before in my Beamers and that had an access panel one in the trunk the other under the back seat. I went looking for the one in the fit today and couldn't find one. And do you know if the fuel pump in the tank has terminals on it? Because I'm wondering if it's a bad ground somewhere from the fuel pump to the main fuse panel under the steering wheel. Thanks for all the help man!!!
Your Fit is of the production age designated by the letters "GD" in the first few digits in your VIN. Helm Inc. publishes the shop repair manuals for all Honda Fits. Look on-line for HELM repair manuals for Fits. You will find the same info. that dealer mechanics use for Fit repairs. You are lucky- the GD Helm manuals are much more clear and easy to use than the manuals for the next generation "GE" Fit manuals. I owned a GD Fit (wrecked) and now own a GE Fit. Hate the GE Helm repair manual, but it's better than any other manual.

"GD, GE, and the current generation GK" is the Honda classification of the chassis of each generation of Fits. You have the first generation chassis, I have the second, and newer buyers with GK chassis have the third.

Last edited by manxman; 05-24-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for thatl link! That is a huge help!! But what gets me is how can the fuel pump be under the little center console and the E-brake? That is a super weird place for it. After the tech at the local Honda dealership here in Orlando told me it was inside of the gas tank itself... But again thanks for that. Will go digging into it when j can.
It is inside the fuel tank which is located right there between the seats.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by claymore
It is inside the fuel tank which is located right there between the seats.
Hey so thanks for all the help. I have taken the time to look at the pump and I know it isn't bad. I took off the three hoses on the top of the pump and the hose running to the motor had fuel in the line. So knowing that I figured the pump wasn't bad because it had of been working before the car shut off. I got under the dash and found a blue a brown and a black set of three relays the blue one being the fuel pump relay. The brown being the FI main relay and I need to find out what the black one is. I can't see anything on the fuse block telling me what it is. I even checked the manual. It didn't say either. Well I just went and got the three relays new and got new 15 amp fuses and put them all in and the car started right up. I drove it up to orilleys to have them run the codes to see what my issue is. Well I'll explain the codes in a second but the car stalled out. Tried to turn it back on and once again the IG fuel pump fuse blew!! So I had new fuses I put them in and once again it blew. So I pulled out the blue fuel pump relay put a new fuse in and turned the keys over and it blew the fuse. So I pulled out the brown FI main relay and put a new fuse it and turned the key and it blew the fuse. So I took the black one out and that's the relay idk what it's for. And I put a new fuse in and turned the keys over and the fuse it didn't blow!!! So I put the blue fuel pump relay in and it didn't blow and i then put the brown FI main relay back in and it didn't blow and I finally with the keys turned over I put the black relay back in and it still didn't blow and I turned the car right on! So I need help please finding out what that relay is because that seams to be the issue. And back to the codes. It gave me out 4 codes one for the bad o2 sensor the up stream one. And a cylinder 2 miss fire and two codes the box for some reason couldn't tell me what these two meant one code was 61-1 and it said battery voltage not reading right... And also code 86-1 which said it was the computer area controller relation malfunction. So listen I'm not electric savy w/ cars. I don't know a lot. So whatever reply you do. Please make it as dumbed down as possible for me lol. Thanks a lot for everyone's help w/ fixing my car.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try these to figure out your relays. Looks like two for the fuel system but no mention of the third one.

Fuel Pump Circuit Troubleshooting

Fuel Supply System Component Location Index

the codes one means to replace your o2 sensor.

The misfire is PROBABLY a coil pac OR valves need adjusting. How many miles on the car?

The other two probably are related to that bad relay.

Any other symptoms ?
Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only other symptoms are a rough idle witch is from the o2 sensor and the miss fire but today it stated fine and I tinted it off and started it again and it worked. I did it 4 times and it started completely fine. I said okay let me drive it around the block and I did and it gassed fine. It picked up speed nice and good as it could because of the bad o2 sensor and then I stopped at a stop sign and it stalled out and the second it stalled out it blew the fuse I herd it instantly. I hadextra fuses with me and I tried to trick the system like I did yesterday and it kept blowing them no matter what. So I wasn't able to start the car So I had my chick come and tow me home. And now i wonder what is that black relay is for. I spoke to a local mechanic and he said the best he can figure is whatever circuit the black relay runs is causing a short in the system and it isn't all the time but not being all the time? How does that work? Like I said not that smart about car electronics. Also the codes yeah I figured they were because of the relay but that computer relation code really tripped me up
Try these to figure out your relays. Looks like two for the fuel system but no mention of the third one.

Fuel Pump Circuit Troubleshooting

Fuel Supply System Component Location Index

the codes one means to replace your o2 sensor.

The misfire is PROBABLY a coil pac OR valves need adjusting. How many miles on the car?

The other two probably are related to that bad relay.

Any other symptoms ?
Old 05-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have stalling and backfire that means you need to adjust your valve clearances
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And also the local mechanic told me that the car stalling out could be because the black relay had blown out because or the short in the system. And it's constantly blowing the fuse because the relay is bad and still causing it to short the ig fuel pump fuse-#11 fuse on the inside panel and right diagonal to the #11 fuse is the three relays and right next to the blue relay it says fuel pump and your first link help me find this brown FI main relay which is the fuel intake main relay and right above that one is the black relay that doesn't say nothing about what it is or what it goes to The inside fuse block does tell you it is the blue fuel pump and the brown FI main one des also but the black relay doesn't have anything next to it. On the fuse block. v
The only other symptoms are a rough idle witch is from the o2 sensor and the miss fire but today it stated fine and I tinted it off and started it again and it worked. I did it 4 times and it started completely fine. I said okay let me drive it around the block and I did and it gassed fine. It picked up speed nice and good as it could because of the bad o2 sensor and then I stopped at a stop sign and it stalled out and the second it stalled out it blew the fuse I herd it instantly. I hadextra fuses with me and I tried to trick the system like I did yesterday and it kept blowing them no matter what. So I wasn't able to start the car So I had my chick come and tow me home. And now i wonder what is that black relay is for. I spoke to a local mechanic and he said the best he can figure is whatever circuit the black relay runs is causing a short in the system and it isn't all the time but not being all the time? How does that work? Like I said not that smart about car electronics. Also the codes yeah I figured they were because of the relay but that computer relation code really tripped me up
Old 05-28-2016, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you by chance have an aftermarket alarm system installed?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No not at all. The car is completely stock. The only three things the car has ever had done to it. Was new tires, my gf slid it out on the highway and caused one of the air bags to deploy(the airbag that deployed was the passenger side one above the front window) i replaced that and the airbag controller but that wasn't near anything I'm dealing with now. And we got caught in a flood and the water level was at the middle of the doors and we flooded out and i waited to try to start it and it tried to start a couple times and then it died completely. Found out the head gasket blew. So we replaced the whole motor w/ a brand new one. And the new motor maybe has 10,000 miles max on it. But other than that the car is completely stock and brand new.

Do you by chance have an aftermarket alarm system installed?