Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Door rattle solved...I think

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Door rattle solved...I think

2009 GE Fit. It's got 215K miles on it. I've owned it for a month or so. The drivers door has been rattling occasionally since I got it. I took the door panel off and because it sounded like the lock rods were rattling against each other. The GE doesn't have lock rods though I found out. It's cable operated. With the panel off it still rattled. I finally tracked it down to the mirror. Took the mirror off. It rattled like a child's toys. Pulled it apart and found a mud-dauber wasp nest rattling around inside. Cleaned that out and no more rattle. I'm not having much luck putting the mirror back together. I think I need a air dryer to heat up the glue so the clips can slide into place.

One thing I noticed is that the sound deadening foam on the door panel had all detached. Honda had mounted it all with hot melt glue, like some etsy project. It reminded me of my old E36. BMW just hot melt glued their panels together too. After 10 years, the glue just disintegrates. I used a caulk tube of RTV ultra black and some clamps to glue it all back together. It worked on the BMW and I expect it'll work on the Honda too.