Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

08 Fit low beam trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Fit low beam trouble shoot

So, my low beams do not work however my highbeams do. I have checked the fuses the relays and the bulbs. I took the car in to the dealership because I read about the low beam recall.My Vin number didn’t show that the recall was related to my vehicle. But they checked the switch anyways and said that it had power going from it. I really need to get my low beams fixed to pass inspection in order to switch my title from Georgia to Virginia.

If anybody could direct me on how to troubleshoot this problem it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 08 Fit low beam trouble shoot

The headlight switch provides the ground (-) to the low beam side of the circuit, not power (+). It provides ground to the headlight relay and ground to the headlight bulbs.

Do you have a multi-meter to test? If not, there is still another way to test. But, best to have a multi-meter to test both power (+) and ground (-).
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don’t have a multimeter but I’m sure I can get ahold of one. The actual connector( where the bulb plugs in is pretty rusty/corrosive, I’m going to clean it tomorrow and see if that helps...

i used a mumtimeter when I tested the fuses, so what you’re saying is that I should just check the grounds that ar connected to the switch.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess what I’m asking is how to test for the ground at the switch?

Thanks for for the help.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Global Moderator

If you have a multi-meter:
  • You can measure the voltage at the power wire at the headlight bulb connector (with the headlight switch turned on)
  • You can test for continuity to ground on the ground wire at the headlight bulb connector (with the headlight switch turned on)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Global Moderator

To measure voltage:
  1. Generally for most car components, unless your meter is auto-ranging, set the voltmeter to the 20 volts setting.
  2. With the voltmeter, touch the meter's red lead to the wire/component/etc. you want to measure/check the voltage; and the meter's black lead to body ground (bare metal; such as a ground bolt or bracket, etc.).
To test for continuity (testing if current flow through a wire or component):
  1. Set to either the "ohms" or the setting it will beep when you hold the two leads together.
  2. When you want to test a wire or component for continuity, touch one end of the meter's lead to one side of the wire/component; and the meter's other lead to the other end of the wire/component.
  • If your meter beeps, it means you have continuity.
  • If it is on ohms scale, you will have continuity when it reads close to 0 ohms.
  • If it doesn't beep , shows OL (open line) or a 1 (infinity ohms); it means you don't have continuity.
__________________________________________________ ___
  1. For the left headlight, measure the voltage at the Red/Yel (Red color insulation with Yellow stripe) power wire at the headlight bulb connector (with the headlight switch turned on)
  2. For the right headlight, measure the voltage at the Red (Solid Red color insulation) power wire at the headlight bulb connector (with the headlight switch turned on)
  3. Individually test for continuity to ground on the ground wires at the headlight bulb connector (with the headlight switch turned on). Low beam ground wires are the Red/White wires. Touch one of the meter's lead to the Red/White wire cavity terminal and the other meter's lead to the car's chassis body ground.