Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

hey guys, has anyone ever bought and tried one of those chips off ebaymotors? this power seller gt_plus has chips that can increase fuel economy by around 20%, also increase horsepower and torque, sounds very promising. I was wondering if anyone here ever got one.

my winter driving has been normal, i am getting mid to high 30s MPG, sometimes i find it too much work to coast and shutting the engine off at long red lights, etc.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking at that chip and there wasn't any neg/neutral feedback that couldn't of been resolved I saw that a couple of fit owners bought it so the best thing i can do is message them threw ebay and ask how it works for them
Old 02-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did find this about the gt tunerbox nothing from anyone who actually used it though

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ncy-issue.html
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what octane/ gas station is everyone using?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man
Old 03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. 87 octane is the best for the fit. and to add on to the whole 60mpg to a tank im sorry i cant buy it. Im sure that Honda in all their wisdom tested the fit on so many conditions to figure out that the mpg on the sticker is what you get. unless your being towed or surprisingly your car is moving on its own with the without the gears being engaged (which would be impressive) i cant buy it. i do get that the 30+ mpg is reasonable and way better than any USDM car out there.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 AM
New User

Hey there,
I have a customer here at my Automotive Reconditioning shop, located in Montclair, NJ. He has an 07 Fit with a broken gas tank door... apparently one of our gas pump attendants got a little 'strong' with the door, snapped it right off and bent the tank door. I am wondering if the Fit tank door and assembly is the same from any other honda product or even Acura for that matter. The dealership quoted him at just under $400 for replacement, paint, and installation! Ouch. If you have any info please let me know.

Shane Dresser

Paint Perfections
Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true thanks tips do help..
Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDGD3kid
yeah. 87 octane is the best for the fit.
How do you figure?

And there is no way people are getting 60+MPG. I don't care what "trick" you say that you found, it isn't happening unless you push the car 300 miles.

Last edited by JDM-97CX; 06-21-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM
New User

Icon2 Re: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

In almost a year I have never, ever, ever broken past 18 mpg or gone over about 200 on a full tank on the odometer!

I'll give you the full story so someone can maybe identify something I haven't thought of yet. Please read and offer any advice/tips/help you can. Thanks!

Bought my 08' Automatic Fit Sport in August of 2008.
It only registered 30 test-driven miles on it, being brand new.
The dealership was a good hour from my house, and they filled up the tank all the way, and I drove it all the way home on the freeway, averaging between 55-70 the whole way.
Even then I wasn't that excited about the gas mileage.
The next day, I was almost broadsided by some jerk who was going about 150 and going into my lane. I had no choice but to slam on the breaks and swerve left and right really fast so I wouldn't hit the car next to me, avoiding him.
That incident balded my tires a bit, and I think my car eventually got out of alignment from that.

I was a little suspicious of the dealership because they were selling another color of the new '08 Fit and it had custom tinting on all the windows... the Fits don't come that way.. so what gives, were they selling a returned one and saying it was new?

Ok... thats the sum total of the negative forces (that I'm aware of) that have impacted my car.
I've only done 1 oil change, and theres less than 6,000 miles on it now, almost a year later. I've only EVER put in Mobil or Chevron, and never used the cheapo gasses. On this recent oil change, I put in a synthetic Mobil1 oil filter. I changed the air filter and cabin filter, even though it was way under the time needed, obviously.

I took it to another dealership and told them my story and had their service department check it over. They (said) they checked it top to bottom; no faults or codes on the computers, the breaks aren't sticking (thereby causing extra friction which I was suspicious of). They offered to have one of their technicians drive it an hour away and back and check the mileage but I told him I've done that over and over and over. They said they didn't know what to tell me. They offered stories of salespeople who own the Honda Pilot and they were very displeased with the mileage until after about 15,000 miles the gas mileage suddenly went up, apparently after the engine was broken in.

Eh.

I don't drag race it, I don't drive it like its a sports car, and even when I've done entire tanks driving like a very cautious old lady, the mileage is pretty much the same. Whether I drive 90% freeway or 90% city, the mileage is the same. Whether I have lots of passengers or just myself, the mileage is the same.

When the dealership says they can't find anything wrong with it.. .what am I supposed to do?

I'm a young single guy and I could've bought a Mustang for this kind of mileage. I tried to be wise and sensible and I wanted to save more money on gas in the longrun than look cool and impress people. I test drove the Yaris, the Nissan Versa, and the Fit. I had to go with the Fit because of the safety rating, the cheaper auto insurance, and the overall features and kudos/awards from all the car magazines.

I know, this was a very long story and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to give you the full details so y'all wouldn't have to ask for them later.

My parents drive a 6-cylinder GMC Jimmy SUV thats from 2001 and it gets... 18-20 mpg... the same as my damn Fit!!

I saw a guy today driving the 2009 Fit Sport and I asked him what kind of mileage he is getting and he looked on his dash and said it was reading 33, and he said thats about right.

That's when I decided enough is enough.

The fact that it needs an alignment and the tires are slightly balded a little can't possibly kill the mileage by 10 mpg or more??? I've checked and re-checked everything over and over. The air pressure in my tires is correct. Like I said, I've never used cheap gas. Its only had 1 oil change. All the filters are brand new in it since I changed them a few weeks ago. I run the AC alot but so do others who live around here, including that guy who gets 33 mpg average.

I need some advice/help on who to contact.. Honda corporate? I have absolutely no idea who I would call or email there.... maybe contact a consumer advocate to put on the heat? the dealership I bought the car from?? I want to start getting the 27/33 mileage this car is rated for, or I want a different car.

I'm sick of this. I'm tired of throwing my money away. Maybe I should've bought a Prius like I was thinking. I know, I know... you end up paying about 7,000 more in the long run. But I could *REALLY* use that immediate gas savings in my wallet right here and now!

Someone, anyone... please help me figure this out... shed some light on this!

P.S. Thanks for listening
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

billbofett, that sucks man. Most of us here don't know what to tell you just as the Honda dealership people.

How do you measure your MPG by the way?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually looking to buy a VW TDI as a commuter. I checked out some TDI forums and to my surprise, their only averaging 44mpg.

I get 35MPG on my 98 Civic coupe. That's with full exhaust, headers and a drop-in K&N. Regularly check the tires and kept the speedo under 70.

Knowing this, I'm keeping my civic... lol
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm happy to report that my gas mileage has been increased to 42+MPG highway
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bilbofett
In almost a year I have never, ever, ever broken past 18 mpg or gone over about 200 on a full tank on the odometer!

I'll give you the full story so someone can maybe identify something I haven't thought of yet. Please read and offer any advice/tips/help you can. Thanks!

Bought my 08' Automatic Fit Sport in August of 2008.
It only registered 30 test-driven miles on it, being brand new.
The dealership was a good hour from my house, and they filled up the tank all the way, and I drove it all the way home on the freeway, averaging between 55-70 the whole way.
Even then I wasn't that excited about the gas mileage.
The next day, I was almost broadsided by some jerk who was going about 150 and going into my lane. I had no choice but to slam on the breaks and swerve left and right really fast so I wouldn't hit the car next to me, avoiding him.
That incident balded my tires a bit, and I think my car eventually got out of alignment from that.

I was a little suspicious of the dealership because they were selling another color of the new '08 Fit and it had custom tinting on all the windows... the Fits don't come that way.. so what gives, were they selling a returned one and saying it was new?

Ok... thats the sum total of the negative forces (that I'm aware of) that have impacted my car.
I've only done 1 oil change, and theres less than 6,000 miles on it now, almost a year later. I've only EVER put in Mobil or Chevron, and never used the cheapo gasses. On this recent oil change, I put in a synthetic Mobil1 oil filter. I changed the air filter and cabin filter, even though it was way under the time needed, obviously.

I took it to another dealership and told them my story and had their service department check it over. They (said) they checked it top to bottom; no faults or codes on the computers, the breaks aren't sticking (thereby causing extra friction which I was suspicious of). They offered to have one of their technicians drive it an hour away and back and check the mileage but I told him I've done that over and over and over. They said they didn't know what to tell me. They offered stories of salespeople who own the Honda Pilot and they were very displeased with the mileage until after about 15,000 miles the gas mileage suddenly went up, apparently after the engine was broken in.

Eh.

I don't drag race it, I don't drive it like its a sports car, and even when I've done entire tanks driving like a very cautious old lady, the mileage is pretty much the same. Whether I drive 90% freeway or 90% city, the mileage is the same. Whether I have lots of passengers or just myself, the mileage is the same.

When the dealership says they can't find anything wrong with it.. .what am I supposed to do?

I'm a young single guy and I could've bought a Mustang for this kind of mileage. I tried to be wise and sensible and I wanted to save more money on gas in the longrun than look cool and impress people. I test drove the Yaris, the Nissan Versa, and the Fit. I had to go with the Fit because of the safety rating, the cheaper auto insurance, and the overall features and kudos/awards from all the car magazines.

I know, this was a very long story and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to give you the full details so y'all wouldn't have to ask for them later.

My parents drive a 6-cylinder GMC Jimmy SUV thats from 2001 and it gets... 18-20 mpg... the same as my damn Fit!!

I saw a guy today driving the 2009 Fit Sport and I asked him what kind of mileage he is getting and he looked on his dash and said it was reading 33, and he said thats about right.

That's when I decided enough is enough.

The fact that it needs an alignment and the tires are slightly balded a little can't possibly kill the mileage by 10 mpg or more??? I've checked and re-checked everything over and over. The air pressure in my tires is correct. Like I said, I've never used cheap gas. Its only had 1 oil change. All the filters are brand new in it since I changed them a few weeks ago. I run the AC alot but so do others who live around here, including that guy who gets 33 mpg average.

I need some advice/help on who to contact.. Honda corporate? I have absolutely no idea who I would call or email there.... maybe contact a consumer advocate to put on the heat? the dealership I bought the car from?? I want to start getting the 27/33 mileage this car is rated for, or I want a different car.

I'm sick of this. I'm tired of throwing my money away. Maybe I should've bought a Prius like I was thinking. I know, I know... you end up paying about 7,000 more in the long run. But I could *REALLY* use that immediate gas savings in my wallet right here and now!

Someone, anyone... please help me figure this out... shed some light on this!

P.S. Thanks for listening
I'm in the same boat, well not quit as bad as your but, I average about 25mpg city and 30hwy...but have encountered sub 20mpg tanks frequently (too frequently) I have an '08 base with the auto also. (driving syle is mild and I keep it under 3500 rpm on the streets)

ohh yea, my car has very little pick up after 40mph and I need to rev very high (4500-6000) to keep up while merging into traffic.

your not alone...my fit is NO
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 not sure if this was mentioned/discussed

Is it true that basic bolt on's (i/h/e) will increase MPG?
Every company advertises an increase in hp, tq and mpg.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: not sure if this was mentioned/discussed

Originally Posted by Stillo
Is it true that basic bolt on's (i/h/e) will increase MPG?
Every company advertises an increase in hp, tq and mpg.
Sometimes they can but generally the more power you're making, the more fuel you're burning.

On a recent trip from St. Louis to Chicago in the Fit I managed 53mpg with about 35-40 miles of stop and go driving. On and this was an 07 Fit Sport auto
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more air and fuel you get the less you have to open the throttle to move at the same speed. More efficient performance doesn't necessarily lead to less fuel mileage. Lower fuel mileage comes from THE OPERATOR using the throttle more than before to feel the better performance.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can safely inflate your tires to the pressure indicated on the sidewall especially if your tires are already at a pressure higher than 35psi. Why? Because 35psi is the maximum pressure to which the tire's load index is rated at. This means that to safely use a tire's maximum load capacity, you only have to inflate to 35psi. The reason the DOT allows for a margin of pressure beyond this point is literally because of the fuel economy benefits of doing so. There are three standardized pressure limits, 35, 44 and 51 psi, as determined by the DOT.

By the way, if you're going to inflate your tires, always inflate them when they're cold, which means they haven't been driven on within 12 hours. If you have to drive on them to pressurize them, measure the pressure before you drive on them and measure again when you're about to inflate them, then inflate the difference.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Trial User

Default Re: "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (sb foto)

Originally Posted by dbrd
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sb foto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

leaving it in gear cuts fuel. leaving it in neutral puts it in idle and uses fuel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess only Honda can give the definitive answer to this question, but I don't believe it is true. If it were, why do CVT's ramp the engine rpm down to idle when you get off the gas?

One of the key techniques for good fuel mileage is to avoid burning off energy with your brakes, when possible. In other words, drive with the throttle in anticipation of needs to slow or stop. With a MT push in the clutch and coast as you approach a turn or stop. Leaving it in gear results in undesirable engine braking, wasting your momentum. However, I don't know if selecting neutral is wise with a regular AT.

With CVT's, I understand there is a selection where you can get engine braking when desired, such as in the mountains.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Trial User

I believe that if you are coasting with engine in excess of 2k fuel will delivery will be shut off. Under 2k fuel delivery resumes coasting or at idle. Neutral may have an edge below 2k assuming the few RPM coasting speed actually effects fuel flow, which is doubtful. This applies with AT or MT. Coasting with AT in neutral has no negative effects in a Honda. That's why it is a very popular vehicle for RV towing without having front wheels on dolly. Know what RPM your engine actuates the increased fuel flow intake valve operation would determine, where possible, the most efficient shift point. IE: i VTEC k24a4 operates as a 12 valve until 2200 and then actuates the very partial opened second intake valve for fuel swirl to normal opening for the increased demand for power.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (thisisntjared)

Originally Posted by Sahwn
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thisisntjared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems like you are skewing your numbers. isnt the tank less than 11 gallons? and why are you adding 3gallons? you should only calculate what you put in the tank, not what you hypothesize is left.

its best to keep the equation simple. the exact amount of gas pumped as the input and the exact miles as the output. no factoring in whatever else.

i have seen a gaslog before and i log my wife's fit's tanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, for the most part I agree.

The book specs are 10.8 gallons. You can add more gas so that it fills to the top of the filler neck(you actually see the gas). This is what I did for the previous 2 tanks. I know that from the first click or auto shut off at the pump that I can put in another 3 gallons until it is about to pour out of the car. NOTE: I am not condoning this, it was experimental for capacity and variation in gas filling.

Now, I agree that you should count what you put in the tank. When I normally fill my tank I stop at the first click or auto shut off. However, you will need to take into consideration different gas stations and their pump along with the master pump control which can vary depending on how many vehicles are filling up at the same time you are. Thus, you can get variation from fill to fill just at the pump it self. Therefore, an average is the best actual mileage indicator or if you decide to fill to the top of the filler neck where you know you have filled to the exact same point as the previous fill.

Now, my last tank I only filled up to 9.2 gallons which was the first auto shut off or first click but the tank before that I filled to the top of the filler neck which was 13.2 gallons. The mileage off that 13.2 gallon fill was 629.8miles but I do not know how much gas I used unless I fill to the top but I did not do that. Instead I stopped at the first click. But according to what you are stating then I should of divided 629.8 by 9.2 which is 68.4mpg which would be incorrect(though I would love that mpg ). Also, If I used 629.8/13.2 gallons which would be 47.7 gallons that would be incorrect as well since I did not consume all 13.2 gallons,therefore, the only logical thing to do is use what I know. And what I know is 3 gallons to the top of the filler neck after the first click added to the 9.2 gallons = 12.2 gallons which yields my 51.6mpg

Also, I can tell what mpg I am achieving by looking at my fuel gauge within 2-3mpg do to various notes and correlations of my fills and driving habits.

If i read this right you are calculating your gas mileage wrong. take your miles traveled and divide it by the gallons you put in (read the pump). Sounds more like you are guessing on how much you put in it?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by upNover
I am actually looking to buy a VW TDI as a commuter. I checked out some TDI forums and to my surprise, their only averaging 44mpg.

I get 35MPG on my 98 Civic coupe. That's with full exhaust, headers and a drop-in K&N. Regularly check the tires and kept the speedo under 70.

Knowing this, I'm keeping my civic... lol

Please don't get a TDI. My wife and I have owned 6 VW's combined and will never go back. I've owned 2 TDI's, a 2000 VW Jetta TDI (ALH engine) and 2005.5 VW Jetta TDI (BRM engine). I recently traded the 2005.5 in for this 2010 Honda Fit Sport. The 2005.5 & 2006 has known camshaft, flywheel & EGR issues. I dumped the 2005.5 because of both reasons, it had 135k miles and had all 3 issues. Dealer quoted $5500 for repair!! An independent TDI specialist quoted $2400 with chipping. I almost traded it for the 2010 VW Jetta TDI (common rail - bluetec engine) but researched tdiclub forums and they've got a High Pressure Fuel Pump issue that could cost apprx. $10,000 to repair. Maintenance on VW's are EXPENSIVE and must have their maintenance in order to last. These Hondas can be dogged and maintenance schedules skipped (NOT RECOMMENDED) and still still last forever. Maintenance is also SO MUCH CHEAPER. In this case you DON"T get what you pay FOR.

VW=Loved driving it, Hated Owning it.

I averaged 38MPG on the 2005.5 TDI
I average 34.5 MPG on 2010 Fit Sport

TDI - 13.5 gallons @ 38MPG = 513 miles per tank
13.5 x $3 (Texas) diesel = $40.50 per fill up
$40.5 / 513miles = 7.89 cents per mile

Fit - 10 gallons @ 34.5MPG = 345 miles per tank
10 x $2.50 (Texas) 87 octane = $25 per fill up
$25 / 345 miles = 7.24 cents per mile

Its not all about MPG's, its about economical sense. Fit saves you more money per tank, per week, per month, etc.

RaabUSMC
Once a Marine, Always a Marine
Semper Fidelis
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Sensational

I drive 90% City and 10% Highway. I drive the speed limit, and only hit the accelerator if I need to pass someone. I coast as much as I can. I get 20-24 MPG.

2007 Honda Fit Sport A/T. Changed the air filter, spark plugs. Ugh.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CBXweb
I drive 90% City and 10% Highway. I drive the speed limit, and only hit the accelerator if I need to pass someone. I coast as much as I can. I get 20-24 MPG.

2007 Honda Fit Sport A/T. Changed the air filter, spark plugs. Ugh.
That's pretty horrible considering what the car is rated at 27mpg CITY. Where the F do you live and how cold is it there?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Sensational

Originally Posted by fleabag
That's pretty horrible considering what the car is rated at 27mpg CITY. Where the F do you live and how cold is it there?
I live in Los Angeles, speed limit is 35 in most parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)