Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

won`t start after driving in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won`t start after driving in the heat

2007 CRV exl. After about a 3+ hour trip toYuma AZ, stopped for gas. Car woul not start at first. return trip one month later stopped for gas after about 3+ hours in Quartzite.AZ again, car would not start at first. Yesterday, car sat in the hot sun for 8 hours in Pomona Ca 45 min. drive stopped for gas, again car would not start at first. Finally did turn over. Is this related to the heat? What other problem could be causing this? Also I have a new 3 month old battery, and they checked the starter AAA as did Honda last time I was in. I have not gone out to try and start the car today yet today as locally this has not been a problem. Please help, as I am afraid of getting ripped off if the right diagnosis is not given.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: won`t start after driving in the heat

Just to clarify, when it wouldn't start...was the engine turning and turning and turning but would fire up? or did you turn the key and nothing would even happen to the engine?

if nothing happens at all (engine wont even crank):
Your CR-V has an immobilizer that senses when the correct key is in the ignition. sometimes this immobilizer gets finicky and doesn't recognize your key. I had a Honda Element that had a wacky key immobilizer and sometimes I would have to turn the key on and off maybe 5 or 6 times until it finally recognized my key and would fire up.

if your engine cranks but never fires up:
could be something as simple as a fuel pump going bad, or possible overheating and shutting down.

I'm not saying its one of these for sure, just basing it off of the info you've provided.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Suldy,Just to clarify, when it wouldn't start...was the engine turning and turning and turning but would fire up? or did you turn the key and nothing would even happen to the engine?

This has happened a couple more times locally. It always seems to happen at a gas station after putting gas in. At first the engine will not fire, then after a couple turns, it does.Than k God as I was at Cosco with a bunch of cars behind me. yesterday. It could not havebeen related to the ehat as I had only driven it a little bit when I stoppped for gas, but it was sitting in the sun all day. Any correlation to the sun or getting gas?
Also someone else mentioned the key idea, I brought another key with me just in case. I am fraid to go on a lengthy trip on the freeway and stop for gas and have it not start again at all.

Thank you for responding. I also am afraid of bringing it in to the dealers for a diagnostic. They may make something up.
Any other ideas would be appreciated..
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Next time it won't start up after re-fueling or driving in heat, press on the accelerator pedal and try to start it. If it starts in either or both situations, the issue may be due to the EVAP canister purge valve.
When fuel evaporates inside the gas tank, the excess fuel vapors are transferred to the charcoal canister. The fuel vapors are stored there until they can safely be transferred back to the engine to be burned with the normal air-fuel mixture. If the EVAP canister purge valve is stuck open, during refueling even more fuel vapors are allowed to enter the intake manifold. It may also be more fuel vapor are entering you intake manifold during heat. Your car becomes flooded. Pressing the accelerator pedal gets the car to start from the flooded situation.

In other words, the way the EVAP purge valve suppose to operate is to open while driving, so the engine can suck/purge fuel vapors out of the charcoal canister and use that to be burned with the normal air-fuel mixture. However, during refueling or when the car is off, it normally is closed.

The attached photo is the connector to the EVAP canister purge valve; it is included to show you the general location of the part.

Also, when the car does not start, is there a buzzing noise? If so, that may be a different issue; such as a faulty ignition switch (electrical portion) due to the contacts.

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so so much for this in depth analysis of the potential causes of the problem. I will print this and have it with m, if and when the start up issue happens again. I will get back to you and let you know if this was it.