Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Wiring Question for JDM CRV RD1 (1997) Outside Air Temp sensor (Ambient)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Question for JDM CRV RD1 (1997) Outside Air Temp sensor (Ambient)

Howdy All, Russ here from New Zealand.

Have just purchased a fresh JDM clock and sensor for my 1997 CRV, but just cant make it work on the testbench.
Perm power and switched power and headlights and ground all OK.
Just that darn temp sensor.
Have tried all combinations of those last 3 wires but I get either VERY wrong temp (showing 45°C or - - °C) when its actually 25°C on the testbench.
Still unsure if the sensor goes from the pink wire at the clock to ground on the chassis, or if sensor should have 12VDC at 1 end and the sensor acts as a current limiter sensing current back to the clock and the chip onboard measures voltage across a resistor and converts to temp.
Anyone know how that sensor gets wired up?

On my testbench, I have A seperate +5VDC Supply connected to the brown wire on the OA Temp sensor, and the pink wire connected to the pink wire (Temp sensor input) on the clock.
I have shared the grounds from the 5VDC Power Supply and the 12VDC power supply, so i have 5VDC running thru the temp sensor and into the pink wire of at the clock.
Now I'm getting -30°C showing as my temp, on the clock.
with a NTC thermister, that would suggest either the temp sensor is open circuit (High resistance = low temp with NTC - Negative Temp Coefficient)
My Sensor is good, and my clock is good.
What am I missing?
Yes, i have checked the clock and the sensor seperately on a friends 97 CRV, so I'm sure the new clock and new sensor are both good.

Long story short, the 2 wires for the Outside Air Temp sensor, where do they go?
I ASSUME the pink wire goes back to the clock, but where does the brown wire go?
Is it the 5VDC supply from the climate control?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the wiring of the Outside Air Temp Sensor on JDM CRVs?
Love to know...

Many thanks
Russ
New Zealand.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiring Question for JDM CRV RD1 (1997) Outside Air Temp sensor (Ambient)

Having the same issue were you able to figure it out? I know you posted in 2018 I can’t find any info, auto climate control required?