Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt change

I'm wanting to change my timing belt on my 01 CR-V because it is at the 105,000 mile mark. Is this a task that I could do with having some mechanical experience (I've done my 30k service and change my oil). Also I was going to change the water pump when I do this. In case I can't I called a shop in my local area and the estimate was $850, is this a reasonable price? I've heard that with even one tooth off the engine will run rough and is it tricky to make sure the timing is correct when putting on the new timing belt? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for any advice on doing this.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt change

It's not really tricky to get the timing set right as there are marks that you simply align and your good to go. The issue some people have is that the cam gears skip out of place after they are aligned when putting on the belt, so just be careful for that. Get yourself a Chiltons, Hayes,Climber etc service manual for your vehicle, and if you have a decent jack, jack stands, basic hand tools and a block of wood/old text book etc your set. You will also probably need a large breaker bar or compressor and impact gun. after you have all that together just follow the service write up and you will be good to go, it's not quite as simple as an oil change but far from rocket science.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tools, tools, tools

this is what you need first and foremost.

can you go a day without your car? what if something goes wrong do you need the car soon?

I know a lot of people will play a TB change off like it's a simple easy situations but it's really not especially if you don't have the tools.

The kinda of tools you'll need that you probably don't have.

Honda Crank Pulley removal tool (You really should have this if you don't have impact tools) you will need a 1/2"
breaker bar with it as well.
assortment of spanners and sockets ranging from 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm
Torque wrench capable of as low as 8 ft/lb
torque wrench capable of as high as 130ft/lb
or you can just throw the torque wrenches out the window and follow gud-n-tite specs

You need the following parts:
Timing belt
valve cover gasket set
water pump
Hondabond or RTV
new tensioner

You can find a PDF version of the factory service manual for 97-00 crv online with a google search.

I would say before you do anything try and find the youtube video by Eric the Car Guy on changing a Honda B series timing belt. I believe he demonstrates it in simple terms on a B18 non vtec engine which is essentially the same thing you'll be working on. If you can watch that video and still feel like you're in over your head with either skillset or tools then that shop price of $850 isn't that bad.

Parts are around $250 for OEM so you're paying mostly for the labor. You can find pre-compiled ebay kits for cheaper that use OEM parts for under $200.

If you do decide to do it yourself I can't say this enough. CHECK and RECHECK and RECHECK again your timing marks after hand rotating the engine and before you fire it up the first time. Also follow the correct tensioning specs don't force the tensioner, I say all of that from learning the hard way.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a tip, the B20 motor has holes in the cams and in the cam caps that allow you to insert a dowel to lock the cams in place and remove the timing belt.

I use drill bits that fit VERY snuggly into the holes to lock the cams. I have tried looser fitting bits and it doesnt work well and still allows one cam to move one tooth off.

Locking the cams in place makes changing the timing belt a no brainer 45 minute job for me to perform.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice guys, it is much appreciated My buddy owns an auto shop so I should be able to get all the tools (I'll rent the crank pulley removal tool). Thanks to dogbiscuit, the video by Eric was really helpful. Also I will definitely use the drill bits as jlk16188 suggested. Another quick question should I replace the seals such as the cams and oil seal?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Atauto
Thanks for the advice guys, it is much appreciated My buddy owns an auto shop so I should be able to get all the tools (I'll rent the crank pulley removal tool). Thanks to dogbiscuit, the video by Eric was really helpful. Also I will definitely use the drill bits as jlk16188 suggested. Another quick question should I replace the seals such as the cams and oil seal?
If the seals are not noticeably leaking, dont touch them. If you dont know what you are doing you can make the situation much worse and cause serious leaks. These seals are not difficult to change but for someone who has never touched them before, if they arent leaking dont touch them.

Just make a crank pulley removal tool. I bought one and made one and i like the homemade one much better
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you replace the seals make sure you wet the inside of the cam seals with some oil. they will burn up if you don't and leak like hell. I found that out the hard way as well.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks and cool DIY for the tool. I don't think I'll touch the seals because I don't see any leaks and I'd rather not learn the hard way haha.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just had a few more questions. So I changed my mind and bought the cam seals just in case I need to replace them, what is the best way to do this? Also do I need to put oil all over the seals or just on one side, along with this the diagram in the crv manual shows the crankshaft bolt threads need to be lubricated, what should I use? By the way any tricks to get the crankshaft bolt off in case it decides to be a sob?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use motor oil for the bolt thread lubing unless it states otherwise or thats what i do.

for the cam seals you must remove both gears and be sure to be careful when you do so you don't drop the keepers. the gears are held on with 12mm bolts. It's important when removing them that you don't turn the cams so be sure to use the drillbit/punch/screwdriver method in the first set of cam keepers to keep them locked in at TDC.

then you can see the seals behind the cam gear. you might have luck prying them out but I assumed they were under some pressure from the cam keepers on the end there so I removed both cam keepers. they are each held on with i think 4 or maybe 2 10mm bolts.

once those are off you can slide the cam seals off. Take some motor oil and dip your finger in it and then rub that on the inside of the cam seals where they mate with the cam and slide them on all the way.

You need to have some form of RTV. I usually buy the Honda stuff because I like it a lot any dealership or amazon or ebay will have it. it's called hondabond. you need to scrape off the old hondabond on the cam keepers and replace it in the spots specified in the factory service manual. you can find that manual in PDF form with a simple google search "97-00 honda crv service manual"

you should use that manual for the proper torque on the cam keepers (this has gotta be the wrong terminology) and the bolts holding on the cam gears.

I haven't had my coffee yet so I may have gotten some of the terms wrong.

Note: if you don't oil the inside of the cam seals they will burn up and it will leak oil all down the front of the engine. even if that does happen it's not the end of the world. the oil travels down the front of the engine behind the timing belt and drips around the drain plug. worst case scenario is you're stuck having to add oil periodically but the leak does worsen with time.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks your advice really helped