Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Terrible Axle Vibration w/ Aftermarket - Which to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Terrible Axle Vibration w/ Aftermarket - Which to Buy?

I noticed some grease puking out of the pass. side CV boot, so I put a hose clamp where the factory clamp used to be. Then the drivers boot started puking a few days later, and noticed the innermost joint is sticking way out into the boot.

Got some new aftermarket axles from a buddy who works at a local auto parts warehouse. They were super cheap but thought I would give them a try. Well, get them installed and the barely noticeable shimmy caused from the factory ones is now a TON worse. It shakes and vibrates under load so bad its not even funny.

Thinking I may not have got seated, I uninstalled both sides and put everything back together. Still a terrible vibration under load. After countless hours of research, I have come to the conclusion that aftermarket axles are junk and OEM are $590/side. That's ridiculous and I wont spend that much on axles for a $4500 car.

Even though the factory units are leaking grease and the pass. unit's innermost joint is out under the boot, can I rebuild them with new joints or can someone local do this for me?

Please help guys I really need some decent axles that do not shake and vibrate!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Terrible Axle Vibration w/ Aftermarket - Which to Buy?

I'm installing one of these tomorrow. I'll let you know.

CV Joint Axle Shaft Front Passenger Side Right RH NEW for Honda Accord CR-V | eBay
Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would not bother with aftermarket at all...i work at a honda dealership and all the ones weve tried have all been junk like youve experienced. honda ones are expensive...but try looking at used ones or looking at your local junkyard!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, no go.

The whole vehicle still shakes. So I've got two, new, aftermarket front axles installed and the rear driveshaft removed. Can't pinpoint it because it shook the same before the axle replacement, so I can't really confirm the quality of the aftermarket axles. I have a thread of my own going fyi.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ugh, i went through this and it really sucked. for the passenger side, tried 2 car quest axles and both shook. being angry and pressed for time i opted for an oem axle. costed a lot but worked like butter. now that the passenger side stopped shaking, we could feel the driver side shaking. again, went through 2 car quest axles. ended up ordering brand new axles (not reman'd) from napa and those worked out great for me.