Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Started 2014 CR-V with no oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started 2014 CR-V with no oil

Hi, So I made a horrible rookie mistake. I was changing the oil on a 2014 CR-V with 40K, and got distracted during the process. Long story short, I drained the oil and put in a new oil filter but forgot to put the new oil in. I started the car and it idled for about 40-50 seconds, before i realized and ran to shut off the car. I added oil and started the engine and thought the engine sounded louder as it was ticking. I watched tons of other CR-V idling videos and I guess they all sound like that.

@5:20

I am super paranoid right now, do you guys think I am okay?

thanks in advanced
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Started 2014 CR-V with no oil

Man that's a bummer. I've a done a few bonehead things myself that have cost me, I think most of us have at one time or another. The damage is done. Only time will tell, unfortunately. You may be able to get by, but your engine life is possibly shortened. There is still going to be a coating of oil on the bearing surfaces when the oil is drained, and you may not have run it long enough to do too much injury. If the damage was catastrophic, you would definitely have heard it and your engine would have seized.

One thing I would suggest - do another oil change immediately. The oil you just put in is probably already contaminated with metal shavings from your main, cam and piston bearings, and possible from piston rings and cylinder walls. Also, I know that Honda and many guys on this forum say to avoid engine oil flushes, but this may be one instance for an exception.

I'm not 100% sure, but it may be good to warm it up first as usual with an oil change to get the pieces into the filter.

For future reference-I line up my bottles of new oil right on top of the engine or the area over the top of the radiator as a reminder before I drain the old stuff out. It's easy to get distracted by the phone or getting called to dinner, etc.

Possibly do another oil change after 100 miles or so. Hard to say, but you may be able to minimize the damage. Baby the engine - no sudden acceleration.

Good Luck

Last edited by Collsj; 06-05-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Collsj
Man that's a bummer. I've a done a few bonehead things myself that have cost me, I think most of us have at one time or another. The damage is done. Only time will tell, unfortunately. You may be able to get by, but your engine life is possibly shortened. There is still going to be a coating of oil on the bearing surfaces when the oil is drained, and you may not have run it long enough to do too much injury. If the damage was catastrophic, you would definitely have heard it and your engine would have seized.

One thing I would suggest - do another oil change immediately. The oil you just put in is probably already contaminated with metal shavings from your main, cam and piston bearings, and possible from piston rings and cylinder walls. Also, I know that Honda and many guys on this forum say to avoid engine oil flushes, but this may be one instance for an exception.

I'm not 100% sure, but it may be good to warm it up first as usual with an oil change to get the pieces into the filter.

For future reference-I line up my bottles of new oil right on top of the engine or the area over the top of the radiator as a reminder before I drain the old stuff out. It's easy to get distracted by the phone or getting called to dinner, etc.

Possibly do another oil change after 100 miles or so. Hard to say, but you may be able to minimize the damage. Baby the engine - no sudden acceleration.

Good Luck
Hey Collsj,

Thanks for the reply, I think I will change it after 500 and hope for the best.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dth,

How is it going so far with the oil change situation?