Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Seeking older CR-V (1st -2nd Gen's) what to watch out for -mileage wise, etc??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking older CR-V (1st -2nd Gen's) what to watch out for -mileage wise, etc??

We bought our son a 2001 CR-V last year... I think we got a really Great deal...$3,500 ... I think it had like 150,000 miles on it.. hardly any rust.. but some ... he did drop a piece of the plastic funnel into the oil reserve early on.. this never seemed to cause any issues.. thankfully.

He loves that thing.. and now I want one too!!.. (I'm the wife by the way)..

Was looking at one yesterday.. 2002...chip in the windshield.. trunk doesn't shut all the way, so the trunk light remains on.. 186,000 miles but runs beautifully... then the dealer had trouble opening up the door.. (only 1 key).. it also had a "knock sensor" code... that he did right there in front of us... since the Engine light was on... we wasn't about to buy it until , at the very least the key worked fine to get the door opened !! so I guess they will be changing the cylinder.. the Price $3,900... No lowering it..

So Owners of Older CRV's... can you please give us advice to what to look out for - when purchasing a USED , over 150,000 miles CR-V...

1. When is the mileage TOO MUCH ??

2. What is the BEST year.. (and why?).. I recall reading somewhere that CAR & DRIVER awared the 2002 CR-V the best vehicle ever built?? True?

3. What problems have you had .. hitting X amount of miles.... generally speaking?

ANY and all advice would be greatly appreciated.. my husband is purely a CHEVY man... he has done a lot of work on OLDER Chevy trucks.. but Hondas are a whole different animal... we like to do as much of our own repairs as we can.. another reason we like Older..

I started this same thread in the General discussion area... lots of responses but seems it should have been in THIS area all along..

>> https://honda-tech.com/general-discu...alers-3271702/

Thank you all
Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seeking older CR-V (1st -2nd Gen's) what to watch out for -mileage wise, etc??

96-01 is gen 1. 02-06 are gen 2. Biggest difference besides body style is they changed the engine from a 2.0 b series to a 2.0 (later 2.4) k series engine. Heres a couple links to some good reads. The second link has a ton of things to look for in the middle of the page.

Reliability of a 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen?

https://honda-tech.com/honda-element...k-out-2791188/
Old 03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Seeking older CR-V (1st -2nd Gen's) what to watch out for -mileage wise, etc??

I just picked up a 1999 CRV LX, Black, 5 Speed, 3 owner with 113k miles, super clean no rust for 1600$ but I don't ever expect to find another deal like that around.

I checked for top end noise, bottom end noise, make sure the thermostat cycles, ac works (too cold here in VT for that anyways), heat, no odd smells, rust (around the fenders, quarters, and beneath the side skirts), clutch engage distance, checked power windows, locks etc.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From another thread about purchasing a CRV...

Originally Posted by Boosted Power
- Rust usually occurs at the bottom of doors, and rear quarter panels (typical Honda spots). Assuming you're going to look at a CRV from up North.
- Clock. If the clock is dead. It will need a new assembly. $5-$20 from junkyards if you can find a working one. $100+ if you order one.
- Front mudflaps. It's always a plus. Trust me.
- Timing belt and waterpump. Valve adjust. Can be a $600+ job if you have someone else do it.
- Rear diff fluid service and all other maintenance fluids. Trans, coolant, etc.
- Oil pan gasket. Usually leaks on most used CRVs of this era.
- Oil pressure switch leaks. Pretty much like the oil pan.
- Inspect radiator for leaks. A good place to start is the coolant overflow reservoir. If it's empty, or not, inspect the radiator for leaks. Inspect for coolant residue that may have dried up on the engine, intake piping/covers, etc.
- Inspect front and rear wiper condition and functions. Make sure they operate accordingly. Front wiper arms should not bang against eachother or the side of the windshield mouldings. Make sure the rear wiper arm works accordingly. It should be easy to pull the rear arm away from the tailgate glass and when you let go of it, it should want to slam back onto the glass. If not, it's going to need a new arm. If the whole arm is loose and just slops around. It probably just needs the arm nut tightened down.
- Inspect brakes. Rears would be harder to check, being drums, but the fronts are discs. Just take a quick look. It's usually the inner pads the wear out first, but an outter with 8mm pad thickness usually means the pads are still "newer". Test drive and make sure there isn't any abnormal pulsation from the front. If there is, it may just need a good front rotor resurface, but it could also mean you may need new front brake rotors also.
- Tires and abnormal wear. Can pretty much speak for itself. Alignment. Look for tires with low tire pressure, low amount of air. (Punctures, nails, bead seal, etc.)
- Test drive vehicle for pulls, drifts. (alignment and or tire issues)
- Seat belts. If a seat belt buckle doesn't buckle, or seat belt isn't retracting, etc. you can always talk the vehicle price down and bring it to your local Honda and get it replaced by Honda with OEM Honda parts for free.
- Test drive the vehicle. Most CRVs have some slight shake all the time. But if you feel something abnormal coming from the front/center/rear of the vehicle. It may be due to the driveshaft (AWD) or the front axles. The way the engine sits on the V, the front axles sit at a high angle. Causing the axles to wear out and start vibrating after a long time. Very common thing that most customers do not notice, or care for. Very costly.
- Listen and or feel for abnormal noises, vibrations, etc.. Wheel bearings, rear diff, axles, control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer bar end links/bushings, brakes, exhausts, excessive wind noises, doors (checker/detent rod, misalignment, door lock actuators, hinges, etc.), windows (regulators, run channels, hard/slow moving windows), etc. etc.
- Good heat, AC, rear defrost and make sure all lights, accessories, gauges, etc. work.
- I can go on, but this is what I remember as of the moment. I safety used cars quite a bit at work and this would be what I would look for.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ haha thats the link to thread i had posted