Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Oil pan leaking...

Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan leaking...

I've read the past posts but want to review what I've done before replacing gasket for the third time. First time just followed my common sense but after it leaked I researched. I used a brush on gasket sealer (permatex high tack sealer) on each side (after thoroughly cleaning surfaces) and torqued it using the order and torque specified by Honda. I had everything out of the way and felt I had done it well. I did note though that after filling with oil and starting that some oil was leaking down from the filter. Using wrench I got it tighter just to see if that stopped it and it did. All seemed well for a day and leaking had started again.

I got under and it seemed the gasket had actually blown out in several places. Notably at both corners by flywheel but also several places along side towards the rear. I double checked PVC and it was pulling vacuum and not clogged.

I did not use a Honda gasket or sealant but it was a high quality rubber gasket I got from Rock auto. It sure seems like something is causing pressure to build (had to more than hand tighten filter along with several apparent "blow out areas" of gasket. The engine has 170,000 but compression still at 155-160 psi.

Anything regarding pressure build up I should be considering before I try one more time using Honda materials (gasket & sealant), double checking flatness of pan (did not use straight edge), and make sure no spacer inserts from original gasket is still on studs.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan leaking...

should have indicated it is a 99 CRV
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you did everything right up until the point where you decided to fill with oil and turn on the engine. Do everything you just did again, your gasket should be fine. Do not add oil and do not turn on the engine. Just let it cure.

Permatex silicone (or whatever you bought) needs time to set and dry. I like to give it 8-16 hours on a summer day, but since it's winter give it a full 24 hours to set. The directions on the side of the tube will give the manufacturer recommendation.

The best way to be sure if the silicone is cured is to run an inch bead on your work bench or something. When that bead is cured its a pretty good bet so is the stuff you sealed your motor with.

Remember to add oil before turning it on.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll add that this time. I did let I set for a while but certainly not that long. thanks
Old 01-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That Honda gasket sealer is some sticky stuff so if that doesn't hold, nothing will. Found my issue though and it was left over gasket material that I never got off. I thought it strange that the dimples on the pan were a mix of perfectly round ones and many were diamond shaped. When I picked at them this last time I noted one corner of one fractured off and that is when I realized they weren't part of the pan but leftover material. I literally had to chisel it off. The consistency of the shape just fooled me and normal wire brushing hadn't exposed the material. Its done and I plan to let it sit for several days before filling with oil. The gasket sealer recommended a long time depending on temperature.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You're suppose to clean both surfaces COMPLETELY off of any old gasket material, including the Hondabond.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No expert exists that isn't defined by how they've learned from their mistakes. Good luck and happy learning.