Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Need advice with 2004 crv AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with 2004 crv AC issues

I bought a 2004 crv with 40,000 miles on it, in great condition, but the AC was not working. The car is for my 16 year old daughter. I have read about the compressor issues, and had planned on replacing the compressor, condenser, evaporator, both hoses, and o rings, when my daughter could afford to fix it. It's my understanding that everything needs to be replaced in order to remove all contamination.

A few months ago my ex wife decided to surprise my daughter by "fixing" her AC, without talking to me first. She took it to some random AC repair shop and they replaced the compressor for $900. Her AC worked fine for a few days, then it stopped working. The ex wife took it back to the place that fixed it. They charged her $300 to replace the evaporator. AC worked for a few weeks, and now it's out again.
I looked at it last night and it sounds like the compressor is bad. When the AC clutch engages, it makes a grinding sound.
Parts are under warranty, but not labor. I plan to take it back to the place that fixed it, and at least see what they say. If I do decided to have them fix it, again, should I have them replace all the other parts associated with the AC system? If I have them just replace the compressor, will I just be doing this again in a couple weeks, or months? Or should I take it somewhere I trust and eat the cost of the parts done in the original repair?
It seems to me the shop that did the work, should have know about the crv's compressor issues, and at least recommend all the parts be swapped.
This mess is now mine to clean up, I want to do it as cheaply as possible, but not waste any more money. Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need advice with 2004 crv AC issues

sounds like the compressor has seized or bearing gone out, either way, yes replace all components. if any metal shrapnel is left it will eventually ruin the system again. had a very similar thing happen to my 09 and now I am replacing every part to be sure it doesn't happen agian. the first replacement compressor lasted 23 day past the 1 yr warranty of the commpresor. the shop may be just a random car repair place and not know specifically about these crv issues. but I would take it to a new shop who has a local rep with hondas( ask around in forums) or if you are not able to the work yourself purchase all needed components and ask shop to install for you...may save some money that way.

Last edited by Justinmnhall; 07-09-2018 at 06:23 AM. Reason: adding content