Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Key won't turn in ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Key won't turn in ignition.

The key won't turn in my ignition. Honda Element 2011. Anybody got any idea on what I need to do??
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Key won't turn in ignition.

Have you tried turning the wheel back and forth slightly while attempting to turn the key?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^

Its a trait of honda's. If the key wont turn, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and it'll turn.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LDForget
Its a trait of honda's. If the key wont turn, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and it'll turn.
It's not just Hondas I've seen it in a lot of other stuff too.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It's not just Hondas I've seen it in a lot of other stuff too.
Ive seen it in other vehicles as well, but it happens just about every time in a honda when the steering wheel locks. Im assuming its a security measure.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all cars have this function. it's called steering lock. and when the wheel is locked and turned all the way against the lock, you can't turn the ignition without turning the wheel away from the edge of the lock.

now, whether this is or isn't what this guy is experiencing, who knows?
his lack of reply tells me it is the case though. he should be embarrassed.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The Chazzer

all cars have this function. it's called steering lock. and when the wheel is locked and turned all the way against the lock, you can't turn the ignition without turning the wheel away from the edge of the lock.

now, whether this is or isn't what this guy is experiencing, who knows?
his lack of reply tells me it is the case though. he should be embarrassed.
Not all steering lock, locks the ignition as well. Impala's for instance have steering lock that does not effect the ignition.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDForget
Not all steering lock, locks the ignition as well. Impala's for instance have steering lock that does not effect the ignition.
omg. of course there will be exceptions. here's another one: cars with push-button start.

that's not the point. in general, cars have this type of column. it's not a "Honda feature" or anything asinine like that.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The Chazzer
omg. of course there will be exceptions. here's another one: cars with push-button start.

that's not the point. in general, cars have this type of column. it's not a "Honda feature" or anything asinine like that.
Lol, losen your panties. It is a feature of honda's, as all hondas do this.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

either the steering lock is on or its not in park

try turning the steering wheel while turning the key and make sure its in park
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...or the key is worn out after 10-15 years of use.

Typically you can replace the key and be ok. Haven't had to replace the ignition lock in many cars. See if the key is hard to turn in the door or hatch, or see if your valet key or other seldom-used spare key easily turns the ignition. If it is the key get one cut by vin at dealer,trace cutting it at ace or wherever will Ger you nowhere.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, 10-15 years of use in his 2011 Honda Element.

Though yes the rest of the post should still hold true, try another key.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=MonkeyMagic;47106076]...or the key is worn out after 10-15 years of use.

2022-2027
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oops, failed to see that it was a 2011!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old post, but I had this problem in a 2004 Honda Accord recently. Thought I would post this in case it can help someone else. The key would go in just fine, the steering wheel was loose (not locked), and the key would not turn. Sometimes after 10-20 tries it might turn. Using 3 different keys, same problem. Very frustrating. The problem turned out to be that one of the wafers in the lock cylinder was worn and sticking up slightly, making it so that they cylinder could not turn. The reason that it occasionally worked was that if the wafer just happened to be jiggled into a slightly different position, it would maybe be clear and allow the cylinder to turn. I ended up removing the offending wafer. I took some pictures of the process here:

https://practicalmechanic.com/2017/10/07/2004-honda-accord-key-will-not-turn-overhaul-the-ignition-switch/

I hope it can help someone out there who may be having this issue!

Last edited by hond-a; 02-13-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by hond-a
Old post, but I had this problem in a 2004 Honda Accord recently. Thought I would post this in case it can help someone else. The key would go in just fine, the steering wheel was loose (not locked), and the key would not turn. Sometimes after 10-20 tries it might turn. Using 3 different keys, same problem. Very frustrating. The problem turned out to be that one of the wafers in the lock cylinder was worn and sticking up slightly, making it so that they cylinder could not turn. The reason that it occasionally worked was that if the wafer just happened to be jiggled into a slightly different position, it would maybe be clear and allow the cylinder to turn. I ended up removing the offending wafer. I took some pictures of the process here:

https://manicmechanics.wordpress.com...nition-switch/

Thanks for the info. I'm having this exact same problem in 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm going to try the wafer removing trick you posted!
Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I'm having this exact same problem in 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm going to try the wafer removing trick you posted!
Cool, good luck! There are 2 parts to this that are tricky. The first is removing the 2 "headless bolts" to get the assembly off of the steering column. I used a screwdriver, but a chisel would also work. Just position the screwdriver so that when you tap on the end of it with a hammer, it starts to loosen the bolt. It will make little dents or notches in the bolt head, that you can then use as "grip" for the screwdriver to push against. The bolts are not super tight. Mine were standard threads, so loosened counter clockwise. I've heard some of these are opposite threads, though, so watch out for that.

The other tricky part is later on, getting the small pin out, so that you can remove the cylinder. What finally worked well for me was to use a very small drill bit, small enough to fit into the center of the pin, then lightly drill into the center of it, then pull out the pin when it is attached to the drill bit.

The wafers have little springs inside as well, so make sure you get those out too, so they don't get jammed in there somewhere!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Trial User

Icon5 Re: Key won't turn in ignition.

Originally Posted by hond-a

https://manicmechanics.wordpress.com...nition-switch/

when u cleaned it did you just wipe it then apply the grease or you washed it then apply. feel i wanna just get a q-tip, clean it, and then apply. thx for the post also.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geraldo Chavez
when u cleaned it did you just wipe it then apply the grease or you washed it then apply. feel i wanna just get a q-tip, clean it, and then apply. thx for the post also.
Yeah, I wanted to clean it all out, too. I actually washed all the pieces out with soap and water to get all the grit out. I think that was part of why it was getting clogged, so it really helped to clean it really well. Once it's clean and dry be sure to use some light grease to lubricate the cylinder before re-assembly.