Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CR-V & Element (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-cr-v-element-156/)
-   -   Key won't turn in ignition. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-cr-v-element-156/key-wont-turn-ignition-3030998/)

Alice Jones 02-25-2012 08:54 AM

Key won't turn in ignition.

The key won't turn in my ignition. Honda Element 2011. Anybody got any idea on what I need to do??

94EG8 02-25-2012 02:57 PM

Re: Key won't turn in ignition.

Have you tried turning the wheel back and forth slightly while attempting to turn the key?

LDForget 02-25-2012 03:59 PM

^^

Its a trait of honda's. If the key wont turn, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and it'll turn.

94EG8 02-25-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by LDForget (Post 46926432)
Its a trait of honda's. If the key wont turn, wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and it'll turn.

It's not just Hondas I've seen it in a lot of other stuff too.

LDForget 02-25-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 46926532)
It's not just Hondas I've seen it in a lot of other stuff too.

Ive seen it in other vehicles as well, but it happens just about every time in a honda when the steering wheel locks. Im assuming its a security measure.

The Chazzer 02-26-2012 04:32 AM

:rolleyes:
all cars have this function. it's called steering lock. and when the wheel is locked and turned all the way against the lock, you can't turn the ignition without turning the wheel away from the edge of the lock.

now, whether this is or isn't what this guy is experiencing, who knows?
his lack of reply tells me it is the case though. he should be embarrassed. :wave:

LDForget 02-26-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Chazzer (Post 46928321)
:rolleyes:
all cars have this function. it's called steering lock. and when the wheel is locked and turned all the way against the lock, you can't turn the ignition without turning the wheel away from the edge of the lock.

now, whether this is or isn't what this guy is experiencing, who knows?
his lack of reply tells me it is the case though. he should be embarrassed. :wave:

Not all steering lock, locks the ignition as well. Impala's for instance have steering lock that does not effect the ignition.

The Chazzer 02-26-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by LDForget (Post 46928661)
Not all steering lock, locks the ignition as well. Impala's for instance have steering lock that does not effect the ignition.

omg. of course there will be exceptions. here's another one: cars with push-button start.

that's not the point. in general, cars have this type of column. it's not a "Honda feature" or anything asinine like that.

LDForget 02-27-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Chazzer (Post 46929525)
omg. of course there will be exceptions. here's another one: cars with push-button start.

that's not the point. in general, cars have this type of column. it's not a "Honda feature" or anything asinine like that.

Lol, losen your panties. It is a feature of honda's, as all hondas do this.

thephilosopher 03-24-2012 09:50 AM

either the steering lock is on or its not in park

try turning the steering wheel while turning the key and make sure its in park

MonkeyMagic 03-29-2012 04:58 AM

...or the key is worn out after 10-15 years of use. :hammer:

Typically you can replace the key and be ok. Haven't had to replace the ignition lock in many cars. See if the key is hard to turn in the door or hatch, or see if your valet key or other seldom-used spare key easily turns the ignition. If it is the key get one cut by vin at dealer,trace cutting it at ace or wherever will Ger you nowhere.

c0alition 03-29-2012 05:14 AM

Yes, 10-15 years of use in his 2011 Honda Element.

Though yes the rest of the post should still hold true, try another key.

Maluko 03-29-2012 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=MonkeyMagic;47106076]...or the key is worn out after 10-15 years of use. :hammer:

2022-2027

MonkeyMagic 03-30-2012 07:04 AM

Oops, failed to see that it was a 2011!

hond-a 10-24-2017 02:25 AM

Old post, but I had this problem in a 2004 Honda Accord recently. Thought I would post this in case it can help someone else. The key would go in just fine, the steering wheel was loose (not locked), and the key would not turn. Sometimes after 10-20 tries it might turn. Using 3 different keys, same problem. Very frustrating. The problem turned out to be that one of the wafers in the lock cylinder was worn and sticking up slightly, making it so that they cylinder could not turn. The reason that it occasionally worked was that if the wafer just happened to be jiggled into a slightly different position, it would maybe be clear and allow the cylinder to turn. I ended up removing the offending wafer. I took some pictures of the process here:

https://practicalmechanic.com/2017/10/07/2004-honda-accord-key-will-not-turn-overhaul-the-ignition-switch/

I hope it can help someone out there who may be having this issue!

Natalia Rubrum 10-30-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by hond-a (Post 51454520)
Old post, but I had this problem in a 2004 Honda Accord recently. Thought I would post this in case it can help someone else. The key would go in just fine, the steering wheel was loose (not locked), and the key would not turn. Sometimes after 10-20 tries it might turn. Using 3 different keys, same problem. Very frustrating. The problem turned out to be that one of the wafers in the lock cylinder was worn and sticking up slightly, making it so that they cylinder could not turn. The reason that it occasionally worked was that if the wafer just happened to be jiggled into a slightly different position, it would maybe be clear and allow the cylinder to turn. I ended up removing the offending wafer. I took some pictures of the process here:

https://manicmechanics.wordpress.com...nition-switch/

Thanks for the info. I'm having this exact same problem in 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm going to try the wafer removing trick you posted!

hond-a 10-31-2017 05:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm having this exact same problem in 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm going to try the wafer removing trick you posted!
Cool, good luck! There are 2 parts to this that are tricky. The first is removing the 2 "headless bolts" to get the assembly off of the steering column. I used a screwdriver, but a chisel would also work. Just position the screwdriver so that when you tap on the end of it with a hammer, it starts to loosen the bolt. It will make little dents or notches in the bolt head, that you can then use as "grip" for the screwdriver to push against. The bolts are not super tight. Mine were standard threads, so loosened counter clockwise. I've heard some of these are opposite threads, though, so watch out for that.

The other tricky part is later on, getting the small pin out, so that you can remove the cylinder. What finally worked well for me was to use a very small drill bit, small enough to fit into the center of the pin, then lightly drill into the center of it, then pull out the pin when it is attached to the drill bit.

The wafers have little springs inside as well, so make sure you get those out too, so they don't get jammed in there somewhere!

Let us know how it goes!

Geraldo Chavez 01-26-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by hond-a (Post 51454520)

https://manicmechanics.wordpress.com...nition-switch/

when u cleaned it did you just wipe it then apply the grease or you washed it then apply. feel i wanna just get a q-tip, clean it, and then apply. thx for the post also.

hond-a 01-26-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geraldo Chavez (Post 51543016)
when u cleaned it did you just wipe it then apply the grease or you washed it then apply. feel i wanna just get a q-tip, clean it, and then apply. thx for the post also.

Yeah, I wanted to clean it all out, too. I actually washed all the pieces out with soap and water to get all the grit out. I think that was part of why it was getting clogged, so it really helped to clean it really well. Once it's clean and dry be sure to use some light grease to lubricate the cylinder before re-assembly.