Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Honda CRV Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CRV Brake question

Hi,

I am replacing the front brake pads on my 2006 CRV. One side is successfully completed, but I'm having a little trouble with the other side. After pushing the piston back into the caliper with a C clamp, I found that the rubber seal around the piston did not fully retract in with the piston. With the piston fully retracted, the rubber seal is bulged about 1/8" above the surface of the piston (this occurs around about half, or 180 degrees of the circular seal). If I gently try to push the seal in, it is under some pressure and it just pops out in another location. I don't want put the caliper (with new pads) back in with it that way for fear of tearing the rubber seal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda CRV Brake question

Firstly, you can gently push the brake pedal to force the piston back out to reshape the rubber seal, THEN, while pushing the piston back in, you can manipulate the rubber dust boot back into place little by little.

Realistically, the caliper (both of them) need rebuilt. This boot has contamination and it is swollen due to the contamination and it does not want to fit back into its proper location. There is no real way to prove if the contamination came from within or from the outside so since brakes are the number one safety issue, I highly recommend rebuilding them or trading them in for rebuilt ones. Since you already have pads, ask for non-loaded rebuilt calipers. Bleed 100% of all the old brake fluid out, did I say all of it.