Gen1 CRV Vtec Pinouts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen1 CRV Vtec Pinouts?

Base Vehicle: 1999 CRV - Automatic w/OD - AWD

New Parts:
* B16 - VTEC Head (intake, fuel rail, etc)
* ZERG - LS VTEC B20 GSR B16 B18C High Comp Head Gasket - 84MM
* UPGR8 - Oil Filter "Sandwich" - U8105-0103B
* Honda Civic Si - ECU ECM - B16A2 - OBD2
* DOHC VTEC GSR Intake/Exhaust Camshafts, Camgears, Distributor and Timing Belt
* NGK Plug Wire Set - 8018
* NGK Plugs - 2756/BKR6E-11

Any thoughts on where to source the correct pinouts?

Last edited by WAARHEID; 04-20-2017 at 06:43 AM. Reason: detail
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gen1 CRV Vtec Pinouts?

Well, as you know the CR-V had no VTEC so there is no VTEC pinout for the CR-V. The source would be the from the engine/harness/ECU you are using. If I were doing a VTEC on my B20Z I would use the harness from the Si and just mod that where needed for it to interface with the CR-V's chassis harness. I happen to have the FSM and ETMs for the 97-00 CR-V and the 96-00 Civics so I could look that up.

Other problem is that auto trans. The Si ECU does not know how to control it and it will not work right. I'm unaware of a VTEC B-series OBD-2 ECU that works with that transmission. Could be one, but I've never looked.

Last edited by ControlNode; 04-19-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ControlNode
If I were doing a VTEC on my B20Z I would use the harness from the Si and just mod that where needed for it to interface with the CR-V's chassis harness.
When I bought the ECU it was just the box, they didn't include the harness

I happen to have the FSM and ETMs for the 97-00 CR-V and the 96-00 Civics so I could look that up.
"You're a daisy if you do..."

Other problem is that auto trans. The Si ECU does not know how to control it and it will not work right. I'm unaware of a VTEC B-series OBD-2 ECU that works with that transmission. Could be one, but I've never looked.
Yeah, this is definitely a "thing", but not insurmountable as I know this swap has been done on an auto, I just don't know what kind of dark magic has been employed to pull it off. Guess I was hoping for a ECU/TCU/harness hack that someone here may just happen to know of or know where to find the guys that have done one successfully.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAARHEID
When I bought the ECU it was just the box, they didn't include the harness

"You're a daisy if you do..."

Yeah, this is definitely a "thing", but not insurmountable as I know this swap has been done on an auto, I just don't know what kind of dark magic has been employed to pull it off. Guess I was hoping for a ECU/TCU/harness hack that someone here may just happen to know of or know where to find the guys that have done one successfully.
Im in the same boat here. Did you get it figured out? I'm going with the v-afcii route.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have asked my new mechanic for his thoughts on using any one of the external v-tec controlers listed here:

https://www.swapshopracing.com/conte...ntrollers.html

his response:

“Yeah we could do the external controller but without tuning the ecu you wouldn't have the proper fuel table to make more power in v tec”

So, instead he’s thinking a that hondata on a stock ecu (with a factory vtec controller) is probably a better way to go. He’s trying to price that out at the moment. I’m hopeful, but I don’t know that he’ll be able to source what he wants. either at all, or at a reasonable cost.

Would the airflow converter you mentioned (v-afcii) do something to address his proper fuel utilization concerns?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAARHEID
I have asked my new mechanic for his thoughts on using any one of the external v-tec controlers listed here:

https://www.swapshopracing.com/conte...ntrollers.html

his response:

“Yeah we could do the external controller but without tuning the ecu you wouldn't have the proper fuel table to make more power in v tec”

So, instead he’s thinking a that hondata on a stock ecu (with a factory vtec controller) is probably a better way to go. He’s trying to price that out at the moment. I’m hopeful, but I don’t know that he’ll be able to source what he wants. either at all, or at a reasonable cost.

Would the airflow converter you mentioned (v-afcii) do something to address his proper fuel utilization concerns?
Yeah the v-afcii controls the VTEC and the fuel. It uses 2 base maps that it swithes between depending the VTEC engagement. The Apexi Neo, in your list, is the current generation and it does that and more. I was able to find an old v-afcii for a lot Cheeper.
Now, I haven't installed this yet. I was just looking for some wiring info when I found this post. Hope this helps.