Crankshaft pulley bolt - 98 CR-V - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Element & CR-V 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Crankshaft pulley bolt - 98 CR-V

Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Trial User

Default Crankshaft pulley bolt - 98 CR-V

Greetings. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

I'm a 42 year old carpenter working on my teenage son's vehicle. I am very comfortable turning wrenches and have tackled many automotive projects on several different cars over the years. In a nutshell, I'm not a newb when it comes to car repair..

Vehicle: 1998 CR-V with blown head gasket. I'm currently in the disassembly stage.

In addition to changing the head gasket, I'm changing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

I've been stuck for a couple of days (working on it in the evenings when not at my real job) trying to get the crankshaft pulley bolt undone. I have the removal tool (hollow hexagon with 1/2 socket hole), numerous 1/2 extensions and breaker bars, and the 19 mm deep well impact socket for the actual crankshaft pulley bolt.

I was able to wedge the removal tool, on the end of a 1/2 breaker bar, against the ground to hold the crankshaft stationary. While set-up in this fashion, I was attempting to turn the bolt counter-clockwise (ccw) to loosen the bolt. Many videos and forums have confirmed that ccw is the direction needed to loosen the bolt. This lead to four 1/2 extensions being broken. I was applying steady pressure (I'm a big guy) and the extensions sheered off where the "nib" is affixed to the end of the extension.

I tried stepping down onto the breaker bar/extension set in a horizontal position. All this accomplished was me catching a breaker bar to the groin (ouch).

I have attempted to hold the crankshaft stationary with a chain wrapped around the motor mount above the crankshaft. I saw a video where this worked. I was not able to get the pulley and chain link up to even try the bolt.

I have a 1/2 impact gun (max 700 lb. torque) powered by a 21 gallon air compressor. This pairing had no effect on the bolt.

I have not attempted to lock the flywheel through the observation panel. I am unable to try to compress rope in a cylinder as the head is already off the top of the block.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Ryan
ryan67203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley bolt - 98 CR-V

Its just a pain in the ***. Ive done something similar with wedging the bar against something to hold the pulley, I had to put all my weight and power into my leg to break to bolt loose. you COULD heat up the bolt with a torch but you may damage to seal on the oil pump if you do that. Ive personally only used a torch, for this reason, to heat up a crank pulley bolt once. hope this helps and good luck with completing your task.
eh2_Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley bolt - 98 CR-V

I use a weighted 19mm socket and my 1/2" impact. I bought mine through our Cornwell dealer but you can order one similar here: http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=LIS77080&source=froogle&kw= LIS77080&gclid=CJOEo7LlqdACFZKBaQodivsDoQ
It has yet to let me down.
TyGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote