Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Brake light on CRV 05

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on CRV 05

Hi, I Have a Trouble, since a couple Days on my CRV the parking light comes ON, I checked the brake fluid and was ok, anyone know whats wrong or why it comes on? Thanks for your attention
Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake light on CRV 05

If you are referring to the parking brake light on the instrument cluster. As you know this light comes on when you use the parking brake or when the fluid level gets low. Either you have a bad float in the fluid tank or the switch for the parking brake is stuck and needs cleaning. Other than that, you have a shorted wire or Gremlins, I would look for Gremlins first.

I just re-read your post, dont trust your visual inspection of the brake fluid level, many times the float is not set very well at the factory, you would expect the fluid level to be good until it gets down to the fill line, but in many cases this is not fact, many times if the brake fluid level is about midway between the lines, the light will come on. Go ahead and break my golden rule and add fluid and see if the light goes out.

I never tell folks (normally) to add fluid for the brakes, as the brakes wear down, the fluid level goes down, thus telling you that it is time to do a brake pad change when the light comes on but yours seems to be premature. If adding fluid makes the light go out, then do a brake inspection. In your case when the light comes on again in the future, that may be the time to do a brake job. Of course we are assuming that adding fluid fixes the light and you have a poor float adjustment, which is not adjustable by you, dont worry about it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane_in_Japan
If you are referring to the parking brake light on the instrument cluster. As you know this light comes on when you use the parking brake or when the fluid level gets low. Either you have a bad float in the fluid tank or the switch for the parking brake is stuck and needs cleaning. Other than that, you have a shorted wire or Gremlins, I would look for Gremlins first.

I just re-read your post, dont trust your visual inspection of the brake fluid level, many times the float is not set very well at the factory, you would expect the fluid level to be good until it gets down to the fill line, but in many cases this is not fact, many times if the brake fluid level is about midway between the lines, the light will come on. Go ahead and break my golden rule and add fluid and see if the light goes out.

I never tell folks (normally) to add fluid for the brakes, as the brakes wear down, the fluid level goes down, thus telling you that it is time to do a brake pad change when the light comes on but yours seems to be premature. If adding fluid makes the light go out, then do a brake inspection. In your case when the light comes on again in the future, that may be the time to do a brake job. Of course we are assuming that adding fluid fixes the light and you have a poor float adjustment, which is not adjustable by you, dont worry about it.
Hey Thanks for your help, I leveled the fluid and the light keeps on, I will check the handbrake switch, if it is ok, it will be the brake tank float
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can test the float with a multimeter, the same as the brake switch on the parking brake.