Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Anybody ever SeaFoam a CRV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever SeaFoam a CRV?

Hey all,

Has anybody done a complete SeaFoam treatment on a first generation CRV? I took off my throttle body to clean out the gunk and realized my entire intake manifold and piston tops are covered with a good coating of black tar. My research indicates that SeaFoam is the stuff to get to clean out that carbon from my engine.

Anybody done this? Did it do what it said it does? Any pointers if I do decide to do it?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anybody ever SeaFoam a CRV?

I have done seafoam on tons of Hondas...there are a bunch of writeups on it if you search for it. Seafoam is great and so is deep creep, I would do both of those if you do it and then you can kind of hose down the intake manifold inside with deap creep
Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We have a 2011 CR-V and I'm going to start by adding a can to the gas. If that doesn't calm things down I may look into running it through a vacuum line. Not sure if the throttle body deep creep spray method is good with all the sensors on the newer models.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ian1006
I have done seafoam on tons of Hondas...there are a bunch of writeups on it if you search for it. Seafoam is great and so is deep creep, I would do both of those if you do it and then you can kind of hose down the intake manifold inside with deap creep
I plan on doing the full treatment with 1/3 can in the gas, 1/3 down the crank case, and the last 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line. Will I have to change my oil after I do this? The can says no, but people say that you should as it makes you oil crazy dirty with all that crud it cleaned off.

What is your experience with doing it this way and the whole oil change debate?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, absolutely change the oil. I usually run it for 50-60 miles, then change the oil. The sludge it cleans off really thickens the oil.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've also heard folks suggest changing plugs after running it through the vacuum lines/throttle intake. Apparently there've been cases of plugs getting fouled up.

You definitely want to change your oil after 50-100 mi. as it cleans things pretty well.

I ran it in my mower oil for 3 cuts a few years back and then changed the oil. Last 2 OCs it's looked very clean after a season of use.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Woody_
I've also heard folks suggest changing plugs after running it through the vacuum lines/throttle intake. Apparently there've been cases of plugs getting fouled up.

You definitely want to change your oil after 50-100 mi. as it cleans things pretty well.

I ran it in my mower oil for 3 cuts a few years back and then changed the oil. Last 2 OCs it's looked very clean after a season of use.
Yeah I also heard about changing the plugs, but that wasn't nearly as mentioned as changing the oil. Also anytime a change of plugs was mentioned it was only applicable to "old plugs". Not sure what they means, but I am running top of the line NGK Iridium plugs that are only 1-2 years old.

Should I not worry about them and see what happens or should I replace them when I run my ~50 miles before the oil change? Maybe I can buy some cheap *** plugs to run for that time, then put my good ones back?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, if I end up running it through my vacuum lines in the next month, I won't change my plugs unless the idle were to get worse. We only have 34K on the car. The reason I'm considering it is because the car has a rough idle and I've changed the air/cabin filters and cleaned the MAF sensor. The Sea Foam site says nothing about changing plugs after a vacuum line treatment. Going to run a bottle of Techron through the fuel system and see what that does before considering the Sea Foam treatment.

If you want to and feel comfortable changing them, by all means have at it. If things improve, I'd leave them alone.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Yes you have to change the spark plugs because it fouls them. For a CRV to have 34k and getting rough idle you might wanna look at other issues. EGR perhaps?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why change the plug? If it's fouled but still good you can clean the tip and reuse them. I clean mine every 20XXXkms with a soft steel brush, and then I regap and reuse for another 20XXXkms. And I repeat until the electrode is running thin, then I will replace.

If your car has 34K and runs rough, it's likely a basic maintenance that's been overlooked. I'd take it to the dealer for diagnose, or read the owners manual. Seems too new to have idle issues. Doesn't your warranty cover this?