Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Accessing Airbag Module in 2005 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessing Airbag Module in 2005 CRV

I have a 2005 Honda CRV, and dealer told me that the Airbag Module (SRS) was bad and I need a new one. Quoted me $1,027, but would knock off $150 since I'm such a nice guy.

I'm trying to access it myself to either swap for replacement or have it reset, but having trouble removing the panel in the center below the radio. Searched and searched and can't find diagram or instructions on removing it.

I got most of it (after snapping part of it, don't really care at this point about cosmetics) but I'm missing find a screw someplace or missing a step because it won't budge.

Anyone have any tips or a diagram showing where the screws and connectors are?

Also, looks like the screws for the SRS module needs a special tool, a star shaped screw driver?

Thanks
Dan
Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Accessing Airbag Module in 2005 CRV

Ok, to answer my own question looks like I finally found it. Link to the Service Manual.

SRS Unit Replacement - Honda CR-V 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Service Manual

I was trying to get the lower part out on its own, looks like you have to work from the top down. Although it looks like the instructions stop before you get to the bottom portion, I'll have to check it out later.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oy vey, so it's been two weeks...got the panels all out and exposed the SRS module, then proceeded to strip one of the torx bolts. Tried and tried to get it out, even bough a pair of Vampliers, $40.

Ended up going to a garage on my street I've never been to before, and then ended up cutting away part of the brackets to expose the bolt and unscrew it. $35, not bad. Then I discovered the third hidden screw, in the back of the unit.

Two mirrors, a flashlight, a ratchet with an extension, and about 30 minutes later got the bastard out.

Got another compatible module from a salvage place online. $60. Got it installed and plugged in and....can't get light to go out.

Was able to reset it using the paper clip method, but the warning light will stay out only until I turn the car off and start it again, then light is back on again.

$140 later and I'm no better than when I started. Do I need to go back to the dealer to have the salvaged one reprogrammed? I'm ready to give up.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I figured I'd put this to bed since it's been resolved and others may search on this in the future.

The airbag light is finally out. After removing the module on my "own" I sent it to Airbag Systems, Inc. in Texas and they repaired it. After that it was plug and play, i.e. there was no other dealer programming involved nor did I need to do the paperclip reset trick.

The cost of the repair was $60 odd dollars, and I paid $12 or so to mail it to them in the first place. So total for repair (not counting my time) would be ~$75, but...

I stripped one of the bolts on the module trying to get it out, and it's in such an awkward place that I couldn’t get it. Plus there are brackets on the sides of the bolts so it’s almost impossible to get any leverage. I bought $40 “Vampliers” that didn’t do the trick, I just couldn’t get enough access with the brackets. So I paid a mechanic down the street $35 to cut part of the bracket away to access the bolt to get it out.

And then….there’s another bolt behind the unit where you need a hand mirror and ratchet extension to reach. Honda doesn’t make it easy!

I also had contacted another airbag repair place and they said that they can only reset modules that were involved in accidents, and since that wasn’t my case I bought a module from a salvage place for $60 that I installed but didn’t work because it has to “talk” to the other units in the car (this from the guy at Airbag Systems, Inc.)

After ordering the salvage one I get a message from Airbag Systems, Inc. explaining that they could repair the original, and that the original was necessary because a new one wouldn’t be able to communicate with the other modules in the car.

Bottom line is that for a dealer quote of $1,027 (later lowered to $850 because of the trouble they put me through) I was able to exact a repair for about $200, including a $40 tool that I still have and can use, and a $60 salvage unit that I guess I could try to sell to someone else but will probably just toss.

Granted, the dealer repair would be a certified Honda product with a warranty, but my car is 12 years and over 100K miles and as long as I can get a couple more years out of it I’m good.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Trial User

Countless hours trying to diagnose my SRS problem. Ran codes at Advance Auto. Falsely replaced speed sensor due to a false code, or not? Took to Honda dealer who diagnosed 2 sensor codes, highly unlikely both sensors failed. Dealer said to replace SRS Control Module and 2 sensors for $2k. I found this thread and removed the unit myself. Harder than you think. Sent to Airbag Systems. They replaced capacitors that typically fail according to their tech and run system checks. $62 repair with shipping, great guys. They claim it should be plug and play. High confidence it will work thanks to the info here. I appreciate you taking the time to summarize this even after it worked for you
Old 02-23-2019, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mark Hurt
Countless hours trying to diagnose my SRS problem. Ran codes at Advance Auto. Falsely replaced speed sensor due to a false code, or not? Took to Honda dealer who diagnosed 2 sensor codes, highly unlikely both sensors failed. Dealer said to replace SRS Control Module and 2 sensors for $2k. I found this thread and removed the unit myself. Harder than you think. Sent to Airbag Systems. They replaced capacitors that typically fail according to their tech and run system checks. $62 repair with shipping, great guys. They claim it should be plug and play. High confidence it will work thanks to the info here. I appreciate you taking the time to summarize this even after it worked for you
Glad it helped! Had hoped that someone in the same situation would find it useful. I ended up blowing the transmission on that car over the summer and have another CR-V, but bought a 2015 with extended warranty this time.