Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

99 crv cranks, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 crv cranks, but won't start

i have a 99 crv that was running perfect, never given me any problems till a few days ago. i was running low on gas, so i put about 5 gallons in, drove about 30 miles then parked it. the next morning i tried to start it and it cranked fine, but wouldn't start.

so far i checked:

fuel - loosened fuel filter, it sprayed out when i turned the key to II, so the fuel pump works.
spark - sparks on all cylinders but possibly weak..also i just added new plus, no difference
timing - put engine at top dead center, cam gears are lined up perfectly.
exhaust - blows exhaust when cranking, smells strongly of gas
battery - never been a problem till i tried cranking it over and over, so i put it on the charger overnight. seems to be fine.

also, sprayed starter fluid in the intake while cranking, nothing happened.

so it doesn't seem to be fuel, i'm guessing it must be spark related. what's my next step? distributor? possibly bad gas??
Old 10-02-2016, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 99 crv cranks, but won't start

ignition tune up. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Changing out your fuel filter probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you cant remember when the last time it was changed. I have a question, why mention the tdc if you were just driving the car? That has nothing to do with the engine starting unless you just did a timing belt change
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eh2_Trav
ignition tune up. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Changing out your fuel filter probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you cant remember when the last time it was changed. I have a question, why mention the tdc if you were just driving the car? That has nothing to do with the engine starting unless you just did a timing belt change
good question. i did the timing belt about a year ago, and i did have spark and fuel...i just didn't realize the spark was THAT weak. so in my mind, the logical next step was to check and make sure the timing belt didn't slip, since that was literally the only thing i'd ever fixed on the car since i've owned it. so it really was the weak spark that was confusing me...i should prob get a better spark tester

oh yeah btw, i fixed it. it was the distributor. not sure if it was ignitor or coil, because i just replace the whole thing. i'm guessing probably the coil, since i was getting spark, just a little weak.

Last edited by thecorey; 10-02-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thecorey
good question. i did the timing belt about a year ago, and i did have spark and fuel...i just didn't realize the spark was THAT weak. so in my mind, the logical next step was to check and make sure the timing belt didn't slip, since that was literally the only thing i'd ever fixed on the car since i've owned it. so it really was the weak spark that was confusing me...i should prob get a better spark tester

oh yeah btw, i fixed it. it was the distributor. not sure if it was ignitor or coil, because i just replace the whole thing. i'm guessing probably the coil, since i was getting spark, just a little weak.
Sweeeet. yeah it sounded like a ignition issue since it was just driving the day before.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thecorey
i have a 99 crv that was running perfect, never given me any problems till a few days ago. i was running low on gas, so i put about 5 gallons in, drove about 30 miles then parked it. the next morning i tried to start it and it cranked fine, but wouldn't start.

so far i checked:

fuel - loosened fuel filter, it sprayed out when i turned the key to II, so the fuel pump works.
spark - sparks on all cylinders but possibly weak..also i just added new plus, no difference
timing - put engine at top dead center, cam gears are lined up perfectly.
exhaust - blows exhaust when cranking, smells strongly of gas
battery - never been a problem till i tried cranking it over and over, so i put it on the charger overnight. seems to be fine.

also, sprayed starter fluid in the intake while cranking, nothing happened.

so it doesn't seem to be fuel, i'm guessing it must be spark related. what's my next step? distributor? possibly bad gas??

Hi, im asking for some help, please I'm having almost the same issue with my Honda CRV 99, sometines start, but after driving for a while when i shut down the car and start it again, doesnt want to start and i have replace the:
spark plugs, fuel filter, i have replace the distribuitor.
i have spark and fuel, the car crak but dont start and smell gasoline, i have been battling with this issue since december the mecanic said he doesnt know whats the problem.

thanks for your comments
Old 01-06-2021, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you have spark? Check main relay operation
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2021, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davey7847
Do you have spark? Check main relay operation
Thanks, yes I do have spark. I heard about the main relay and I found it, yesterday the car started in the afternoon and I was driving for a little while and when I touch that relay it was very Hot.

Is it something with it? I don't know how to tested it!!
Old 01-06-2021, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG Videos
Thanks, yes I do have spark. I heard about the main relay and I found it, yesterday the car started in the afternoon and I was driving for a little while and when I touch that relay it was very Hot.

it either works or it doesn't. To test it, you remove it and apply 12 volts to the coil of the relayand listen if it clicks.. however it's not a definitive test because the contacts may be burned and not conducting electricity regardless if they're closed ...get it out of the car and you can pry the cover off and check for burned contacts. If the coil is clising the contacts and they are burned, its possible to clean them. Back in the day when we worked on a lot of these cars we just used to have one sitting on a bench that we knew worked and we would pop it in and the car would start and then we would just put a new one in.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG Videos

it either works or it doesn't. To test it, you remove it and apply 12 volts to the coil of the relayand listen if it clicks.. however it's not a definitive test because the contacts may be burned and not conducting electricity regardless if they're closed ...get it out of the car and you can pry the cover off and check for burned contacts. If the coil is clising the contacts and they are burned, its possible to clean them. Back in the day when we worked on a lot of these cars we just used to have one sitting on a bench that we knew worked and we would pop it in and the car would start and then we would just put a new one in. It sounds like its on its way out. It should not be "hot."

Old 01-06-2021, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davey7847
it either works or it doesn't. To test it, you remove it and apply 12 volts to the coil of the relayand listen if it clicks.. however it's not a definitive test because the contacts may be burned and not conducting electricity regardless if they're closed ...get it out of the car and you can pry the cover off and check for burned contacts. If the coil is clising the contacts and they are burned, its possible to clean them. Back in the day when we worked on a lot of these cars we just used to have one sitting on a bench that we knew worked and we would pop it in and the car would start and then we would just put a new one in. It sounds like its on its way out. It should not be "hot."
Bro, thanks a lot I appreciate it, I will replace it and see how it goes, I found one but is second hand.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Trial User

NEED HELP 1999 Honda CR-v turns of well running have tu pull over to try and turn back on but it takes me up to five minutes or longer to start
it cranks but won’t turn on after a wail I’ll turn back on but I’ll start driving and dies again and have to do same thing all over again
Main relay replaced
cap and rotor replaced
wires and spark plug replaced
fuel filter replaced
cleaned throttlebody and still have that problem help ple