Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

'97 CRV Cold Start Fine; Hot/Warm Start is Spotty

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 CRV Cold Start Fine; Hot/Warm Start is Spotty

My '97 CRV has 169,000 miles on it. About a month ago, I was parked with my emergency blinkers on and after about 15-20 minutes, I started the car and noticed that the starting the car was sluggish – sounding ‘weak’ as in not a quick start. So, I had the battery replaced when I had an oil change a short while after. That seemed to clear it up. One other noticeable issue is that the CRV’s horn has been slowly getting weaker. However, since the battery replacement, we're experiencing the following:

These are cold winter days…
Cold Start: the engine turns over fine.
Hot/Warm Start: sometimes, the engine is not kicking on... If I am driving for a while and park - let's say to go shopping for maybe 15-45 minutes, I turn off the car. And then when starting it, the car sometimes starts to crank but doesn't turn over. I sit for a few seconds, try again, and again, until it does finally turn over. The check engine light does not go on. This is not happening all the time – but enough to make me bring it into my mechanic.

He wasn’t able to reproduce the problem…he drove it to get something. Parked it and it started fine, etc.

Any ideas on what is the likely culprit? It just happened last night again! And btw, there is no degradation of the driving/running experience. Once the engine is on, it runs very well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '97 CRV Cold Start Fine; Hot/Warm Start is Spotty

Someone else had a similar situation posted but theirs sounds more concrete to what I experienced in my old 1993 civic. Either way this is what the culprit was on mine. It seemed to only happen in the winter as well which is odd. But it was a faulty water temperature sensor for me (it did throw a CEL however)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-cr-v-element-156/crv-2001-start-problems-error-code-p0118-3125952/
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DB,

Thanks for the quick reply and additional link. I also found this link on another site:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Honda-Rep...e-starting.htm

I will pass on this information to my mechanic and hope that this will solve the problem. I will re-post when I have more follow-up status.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dogbiscuit
Someone else had a similar situation posted but theirs sounds more concrete to what I experienced in my old 1993 civic. Either way this is what the culprit was on mine. It seemed to only happen in the winter as well which is odd. But it was a faulty water temperature sensor for me (it did throw a CEL however)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3125952
DB: just confirming...is what you write "the water temperature sensor" the same as what appears in that other link you provided drawing - called "engine coolant temperature sensor"?

Thanks, VC
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah same one. thats my guess as to what the problem is