Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2007 CRV Check Engine Light after Throttle Body, MAF Sensor cleaning

Old 10-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 CRV Check Engine Light after Throttle Body, MAF Sensor cleaning

Howdy... First post here. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

I'm hoping I didn't screw up my throttle body or throttle position sensor just now. I have cleaned a lot of throttle body assemblies but never a newer Honda. My wife's CRV was in desperate need of maintenance. So I changed both the cabin and intake air filters, and cleaned the throttle body and mass airflow sensor. I did not realize that Honda does not recommend cleaning the throttle body while installed. So I had my wife sit in the car with the ignition on so that she could actuate the throttle plate and I cleaned the throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner and a clean shop towel. Once I was done with that, cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Hooked everything back up, started the car, and now I have a check engine light and my idle is a bit screwy. Seems to want to hunt for the idle. So after a bit of searching I see that I should have removed the throttle body before cleaning. I also see that the PCM memory should be reset, and an idle relearn procedure needs to be followed.
Is it normal for the check engine light to be on after cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor? How likely is it that I just destroyed the throttle body? This is pretty bad timing considering that I loaned my dad my OBDII scanner and it's not likely to get back to me in the mail until Wednesday. I'm supposed to be leaving early Friday morning for a 500 mile drive to a wedding!

I appreciate any help you might be able to offer!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 CRV Check Engine Light after Throttle Body, MAF Sensor cleaning

On the crv owners club forum, I got this response:

Try the 'idle relearn procedure' before anything else. After cleaning the 'throttle plate' it usually returns to a different closed position and causes idle speed problems.
Here's what I would try:
1)have radio code
2)unhook battery cables and 'then' short the cables together (no battery connection allowed ) for a couple of seconds.
3)reconnect battery cables and do the 'idle relearn procedure' correctly (no radio, no opening and closing doors, no raising and lowering windows, etc)
4)restart vehicle and put the radio code in
5)hopefully enjoy your trip

I did this, using this idle relearn procedure:

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
2. Reset the PCM with the PCS.
3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
4. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in P or N) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the coolant temperature reaches 194 degrees F. (90 degrees C).
5. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

NOTE: I the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes."

I *think* this worked. After disconnecting the battery and starting the car, the check engine light was no longer on. I went through the idle relearn procedure and then took it for a drive. Everything seems ok, but I'm still not 100% sure that the idle is correct. I'm going to link to a video showing the tach behavior. It seems to be settling into idle at 750-800 RPM, which I believe is normal. What I'm not sure is the way it's revving up and then settling. Doesn't seem to be as smooth as it should be. Maybe I'm imagining things. I should have paid closer attention to these characteristics before actually doing the work.

video of startup tach behavior is here:

After the video was shot, I let the car cool for about 90 minutes, and then went out and restarted it. Initially it starts and hits about 2000 rpm and then settles pretty smoothly to 1000. It sat there for about 30-45 seconds and then surged briefly to 1400 or so and then back down to 1000, before slowly settling down to about 800, now it seems to be fluttering between 800-850. Still no check engine light.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 CRV Check Engine Light after Throttle Body, MAF Sensor cleaning

Ok, so this second video is after another cool down, roughly an hour, and you'll clearly see it surge while idling, and I never touch the accelerator.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi my 08 CRV does the same exact thing , after I made the mistake of cleaning the throttle body ! Did you ever get it repaird and if so can you say what was done to correct the problem ? I tried the relearn procedure it works for a bit at about 750 rpm and then , back to the high idles , and surging.. I installed another throttle body , relearn and again the same issue..Thanks please let me know it is driving me crazy !! I have a old Honda HDS that works intermittently and I was thinking if I can use it to reflash the Ecu... Not sure if the program is in there , also just ordered the HIM , hopefully it is in that units program...does anyone know if Honda has a recall on this issue with the ECU's ? ���� we appreciate any help from anybody ?!? Thanks..

Last edited by CHIBA280; 11-04-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: 2007 CRV Check Engine Light after Throttle Body, MAF Sensor cleaning

::hey I finally got he vehicle running at the correct idle.. Geez ! I read it Here on the forum , by NPAPANIK .. He said to reset the computer and do a TPS calibration..I connected my snap on verus , reset the computer and did a relearn. Got the engine to idle at 750-800 rpm's. Drove it for about 11 miles , parked went shopping , drove it back home and Bam ! It started acting up again , it was to good to be true.. Okay, so I went had dinner at home got pissed of and went at it again.So I read NPAPANIK AND HE SAID why is everybody crying about the idle issue with the Honda CR-V , this is what you do ! Connected the snap on verus ,I searched for for the TPS reset and or TPS recalibration ! I found it. Went thru the procedure, and Wow ! I achieved the 650 rpm idle.. It's been a few days now and it runs like a champ..I could not have done it without a scan tool ! I tried resetting the Ecu , by unplugging the battery, with the scanner, and removing fuses along with a relearn and only to achive temporary results. The TPS ( Trohttle position sensors ) A and B must be reset..or readjusted . The only way is with a scanner, does not have to be with expensive snap on verus ,anyone that has a TPS reset..I hope this helps you with your high idle situation as well. Thanks to NPAPANIK here in the forum , I was able to repair the issue with the annoying hunting and high idle...good luck.

Last edited by CHIBA280; 11-08-2015 at 08:54 PM.