Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2007 CR-V Black Death or just the compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 CR-V Black Death or just the compressor?

Greetings All,
I have a 2007 CR-V. Three years ago, the a/c field coil went and wouldn't engage the clutch. I managed to replace the coil while everything was still on the car, avoiding the need to deal with the R134. Two years ago, the relay controlling that same coil burned out. Thankfully a simple fix. This year...now... the compressor finally went. Started off making a little ticking noise but by the time my wife got to work, the pulley face had sheared itself off. Was hoping it was just the clutch bearing and disassemble the unit again, while still on the car. The pulley is obviously shot, and the armature plate is fully baked. However, the clutch bear is just fine. Unfortunately when I spin the compressor shaft itself, it's grinding away. Short term, I put a shorter belt on to bypass the compressor and the car is back in action. Long term I know I need to replace the compressor. My question (finally) is, how do I know if I've suffered the infamous "black death" that is everywhere in the net? My plan is to have a shop reclaim the refrigerant, change the compressor myself, and have the shop charge the system... but do I need to replace other parts as well? Is there any way to test the other components? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. For those that wish to go the bypass route, I used Bando 7PK1405 - 7 Ribs x 1405 mm or 7 Ribs x 55.3 Inch
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2007 CR-V Black Death or just the compressor?

ugh.. you can bet that there are shavings in the oil. I would be willing to bet there is no refridgerant left in the system. Ac places will want to replace all of the lines and hoses and dryer to make sure no shavings are in the system.
The diy way to do it would be to remove all lines and hoses clean the hard lines to make sure they are clear buy all new o rings, hoses and dryer. Pick up a good used compressor put it all in and take it to get charged.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Trial User

Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you very much!!

Originally Posted by djmota
ugh.. you can bet that there are shavings in the oil. I would be willing to bet there is no refridgerant left in the system. Ac places will want to replace all of the lines and hoses and dryer to make sure no shavings are in the system.
The diy way to do it would be to remove all lines and hoses clean the hard lines to make sure they are clear buy all new o rings, hoses and dryer. Pick up a good used compressor put it all in and take it to get charged.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could you blow the lines with compressed air to clean them out?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by dogbiscuit
could you blow the lines with compressed air to clean them out?
No.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda knows about the AC problem as it has affected CRVs from 2002-2009. They did an extended warranty instead of a re-call. This AC problem isn't a cheap fix but Hondas attitude is not to admit to anything, at least on the dealer end. I have two CRVS, a 2005 and a 2007. Just had to do the coil set, temp control and clutch set in the AC on the '07. The service guy at the local dealer in Vestal NY refused to comprehend the TSB on the clutch. Funny how Honda does business. In essence it sticks it to the customer. I'm contacting Honda corporate today and plan on making a lot of noise about this somewhat forgotten issue. I'm looking at replacing the clutch on the 2005 for around $300 instead of waiting it to blow the whole system but be assured, I'll never buy another Honda again. All Honda owners MUST check for Service Bulletins on their cars. You may find out Honda isn't all that great. After all, they wont tell you if there's a problem until it breaks.