Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2006 CRV A/C compressor conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 CRV A/C compressor conversion

I have an 06 CRV with the K20A engine. As is common with this model year, the AC compressor does not last very long and always wants to seem to tear itself apart. I am now on my 2nd compressor and its showing signs of imminent failure. Someone told me that there is Denso model that can be made to work with this model year.

Anyone tried this setup? If so, what is the model/part number?

Any recommendations for a better replacement brand from original?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 CRV A/C compressor conversion

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it's the exact question I have (except I have a 2004). I just bought my CRV with 75,000 miles, but want to preemptively replace the compressor so I don't have to worry about it for a while.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, four days after purchase, my CR-V is in the shop for A/C issues. I guess I should have changed the compressor the day I got it. I find out tomorrow what all damage is done.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up replacing mine with a Denso unit from a Honda model that is only available in Japan. The shop sourced it for me and according to them this is always the model they put on CR-V's that have compressor issues and it seems to work better than stock. I've had it for more than a year now and it still works flawlessly. I remember the OEM one, even when brand new, would start to have a whining/grinding noise a few months after installation and would basically eat itself up after about a year or so. My A/C is as cold as ever, quiet and reliable. The shop says this model is also plug-and-play as all the attachment holes and ridges on the pulley for the serpentine belt line up perfectly. Here is a photo of the actual unit they installed on mine: (Just flip the image over) Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that's pretty valuable information. I looked it up and found this which shows P/N 447260-4162 as an Accord 2.4L compressor. I guess they are interchangeable parts.

I also got some useful information from Action Air at (866) 772-5502. There are other compressors that use the same body (10S17C) as the stock unit but are piston operated instead of the rotary vane (scroll). The rotary vane operated compressors are the ones prone to send garbage through the system when they fail. Action Air has Omega (their brand) piston operated kits (compressor and condenser with built in dryer) for under $300. It also appears that Omega actually manufactures compressors for some of the big names.

I'm waiting on the mechanic to give me word on what all is messed up, but it looks like I have a way forward. I just wish I would have figured this out a little earlier.

Last edited by ONe21; 02-19-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lcn584
I have an 06 CRV with the K20A engine. As is common with this model year, the AC compressor does not last very long and always wants to seem to tear itself apart.
This was true of gen 2 (02-04), with Gen 2.5 (05-06) Honda was aware and used a fixed supplier for the compressor. It's likely if you're having problems with the compressor, it's unrelated to the compressor failure issue. Or Honda lied or someone sent you an old part. Haha. Sorry about your issues. I think I need to replace my compressor soon as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Good info in this thread!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ONe21
Thanks, that's pretty valuable information. I looked it up and found this which shows P/N 447260-4162 as an Accord 2.4L compressor. I guess they are interchangeable parts.

I also got some useful information from Action Air at (866) 772-5502. There are other compressors that use the same body (10S17C) as the stock unit but are piston operated instead of the rotary vein (scroll). The rotary vein operated compressors are the ones prone to send garbage through the system when they fail. Action Air has Omega (their brand) piston operated kits (compressor and condenser with built in dryer) for under $300. It also appears that Omega actually manufactures compressors for some of the big names.

I'm waiting on the mechanic to give me word on what all is messed up, but it looks like I have a way forward. I just wish I would have figured this out a little earlier.
You're welcome and I hope it works well for you.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Info, I'll be needing this myself in time
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Occidentalis
This was true of gen 2 (02-04), with Gen 2.5 (05-06) Honda was aware and used a fixed supplier for the compressor. It's likely if you're having problems with the compressor, it's unrelated to the compressor failure issue. Or Honda lied or someone sent you an old part. Haha. Sorry about your issues. I think I need to replace my compressor soon as well.
I couldn't verify this, but I know the problem is far less frequent on the 05-06' CRVs. From my understanding, the new models are still rotary vane which causes "black death" if the compressor fails - it just occurs far less often because of the better quality unit.

Well, the mechanic called and said that everything is fine and the A/C in my CRV functions perfectly. I'm a bit confused, but thankful. I took it in for inspection because the A/C went warm when my wife was driving and, when I checked it, it was making loud noises. I'm going to go ahead and replace the unit with an Omega a preventative action, since it'll end up being cheaper in the end.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 11:37 PM
Trial User

Hi there so the denso you never ended up buying? If not whats the part number of the omega brand ? And how long it last you do you recommend it? I would like to know if the denso one would be a better option.

Originally Posted by lcn584
I ended up replacing mine with a Denso unit from a Honda model that is only available in Japan. The shop sourced it for me and according to them this is always the model they put on CR-V's that have compressor issues and it seems to work better than stock. I've had it for more than a year now and it still works flawlessly. I remember the OEM one, even when brand new, would start to have a whining/grinding noise a few months after installation and would basically eat itself up after about a year or so. My A/C is as cold as ever, quiet and reliable. The shop says this model is also plug-and-play as all the attachment holes and ridges on the pulley for the serpentine belt line up perfectly. Here is a photo of the actual unit they installed on mine: (Just flip the image over) Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by ONe21
I couldn't verify this, but I know the problem is far less frequent on the 05-06' CRVs. From my understanding, the new models are still rotary vane which causes "black death" if the compressor fails - it just occurs far less often because of the better quality unit.

Well, the mechanic called and said that everything is fine and the A/C in my CRV functions perfectly. I'm a bit confused, but thankful. I took it in for inspection because the A/C went warm when my wife was driving and, when I checked it, it was making loud noises. I'm going to go ahead and replace the unit with an Omega a preventative action, since it'll end up being cheaper in the end.