Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2005 CR-V will not start anymore

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CR-V will not start anymore

About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed the car has been getting a little harder to start each day, Ive been working nonstop so haven't had a chance to fix it yet. I go to get in the other day to work and it bogs down on start up, but starts, I get 2 blocks down the road, stop to get gas, and it refused to start.

What it does: It acts like a dead battery, except when it stops turning over the starter doesn't click-click-click, everythings completely silent. Sometimes I could turn it off, leave it for 5-10 seconds, then try it again and it would be boggy, but if I could get that third turnover in it would start, but many times it'd just turn over twice and then stop. All electronics are fine, no dimming lights, no dimming cluster lights, no errors on the dash. If I try to start it now I get absolutely no response from the starter(lights, signals, fuel pump comes on without a problem).

I just cleaned the battery posts on the off chance it was a simple fix...nope haha...starter? starter relay? wire running to the starter? Anyone know what the likely culprit is? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 CR-V will not start anymore

Sounds like a starter if everything else works
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I thought....from what Im reading on the forum the starter is a PITA to change...going to have fun on a gravel driveway.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Thank you for your posts. I'm having the same issue with my 2004 Honda CRV. It's currently in the driveway waiting on a starter (which I ordered yesterday) and someone to install it. The most complicated work I've done of late is the replacement of a headlight bulb so this should be interesting.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bluey
Thank you for your posts. I'm having the same issue with my 2004 Honda CRV. It's currently in the driveway waiting on a starter (which I ordered yesterday) and someone to install it. The most complicated work I've done of late is the replacement of a headlight bulb so this should be interesting.
Its actually not too bad at all, I followed this video and it came out just fine, not sure of your mechanical skills, so heres a few tips I'd give myself if I had to do it over again.

The video skips the actual removal of the intake, when you do, wiggle it out from the hole created when you took the battery out, I had to disconnect the upper radiator hose, push that and the wiring harness down under the intake box when taking it out...its a really tight fit between the engine and radiator supports but it can be done without moving them...its a daunting task for just a starter, but its not that bad.

A few tips:
-- Make sure you get a gasket set before hand, there will probably be a thin aluminum gasket and 4 sets of rubber gaskets for the ports,...you dont need the aluminum gasket, its for the seal between the head and other piece of intake.
-- IMRC will get in your way when trying to take it out/put it in, make sure its the last to come out and first to go back in...don't try to remove it, it goes pretty far into the intake.
-- Make sure you tighten the intake bolts to the proper torque, 16 ft/lbs. Also tighten them in order: 4-2-1-3-5
-- My starter didnt have any shims, make sure if you have any shims present you put them back the way you found them.
-- Some people say move the radiator support back and that will allow you to rotate the intake up on its right side so you don't need to take it out, I suggest not doing this, as you need to take it out anyways to change the gaskets, you can also clean out the ports with some carb cleaner while its out..

Took me about 4-5 hours, but that was taking breaks every 10-15 minutes, did this on a gravel driveway on side of the road, all you need is a basic tool/ratchet set.

If you have any questions feel free to message me, faster would be text, Ill send you the number if you want it, PM me, I just did this 3 days ago so its still fresh in my mind.

Good luck!