Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2003 Element w/intermittent start problem

Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Element w/intermittent start problem

We are original owners of a 2003 Honda Element EX w/auto trans that began having an intermittent starting problem about 18 months ago. When trying to start the vehicle, the immobilizer system would appear not recognize our key, which prevents the vehicle from starting. After turning the key 20-30 times, the vehicle would eventually start. Problem could happen again the next time you had to start the car and also several times in a row, or disappear and not happen for weeks or even a couple of months initially. The problem now occurs with greater frequency and when the car does eventually start after immobilizer has acted up, we don't have any dash light or dash gauges, except the emergency brake light in on (even though the emergency brake lever is actually off). Sometimes the dash lights and gauges will come back on after 10-15 minutes, or they might stay off until the car is turned off and started again. No OBD-II codes are being thrown. Honda dealer has tried to help but it is a guessing game. We have replaced the immobilizer unit in the steering column, replaced all keys and replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch in the steering column - none of this helped. Battery has been tested according to Honda's protocol and is OK, as we thought perhaps it was not maintaining proper voltage. I've called Honda's 800 number for consumer problems but they more or less told me that you're on your own, as the car is out of warranty. District Service Rep for Honda didn't do much either. Can any one please help? Has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Element w/intermittent start problem

You should trade it in at your nearest Honda dealer..
That will teach them a lesson!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Trial User

I have experienced EXACTLY the same problems that you have for the last several months as original owner of my 03 element. I participate in the Element owners club forum and my posts are all over there. I googled my
problem and this forum with your post came up. Are you still around?? Please post a reply and we can share info here or on other forum. Go to element owners club and go to Problems and Issues forum and look for an active thread of mine saying immoblizer problems with key no where near ignition switch. I really have gotten no where so far. Any way, need to know if you are still there. Post here or register at EOC site. Look foreward to seeing your post as I need help also.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Trial User

We are still having problems but replaced our battery yesterday to see if perhaps this was the problem. This is a long shot, but our problem started just a few months after buying a Honda 100 month replacement battery at our dealer. On top of this, I have a friend who is a long-time mechanic (wrenches on makes other than Honda - high end European makes) and he has repeatedly told me to replace the battery, but I felt that this wasn't the right way to go, since battery tested OK at Honda dealer and I didn't really want to throw away another $100 on a hunch. What finally convinced me is that we've had a very cold winter (we're in Michigan) and the battery would barely start the car this past week and the battery is exactly 2 years old. There is also a Honda technical service bulletin out there that says problems can result w/immobilizer if battery voltage drops, which has stuck in the back of my mind even though our battery has checked out OK. New battery is a NAPA Legend in 51R case, as per original spec. Will have to see if this helps w/our problem, as it's only been 24 hours and problem is intermittent. Honda still has not helped us at all, just guessing, as problem will not occur while the Element is at the dealers.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Trial User

Glad to see you are still there
If you don't mind, I would recommend going on to the other forum as all my tale of woe is there plus some helpful stuff from one responder in particular.
As numerous members have viewed the situation, they would like to see your situation also and we may be able to get to the end of this tunnel. If you could repeat your two posts verbatum there, it would be very helpful to both of us. As you know, the situation is very unique and we need all the help we can get. If you read my posts, you will see that we seem to have exactly the same problem and very few options at the moment. I know what you have done now. It would be good for you to join up over there and we can proceed foreward on the same page. Same register and foremat. I was placed in "Problems and Issues" forum. The thread title is "immobilizer problems with key no where near ignition switch".
I am in So Cal beach area, so ambient temp is not relavant. My battery was only two months old when situation arose. My only actual action taken so far was to have my after market alarm/entry system taken out completely and all wires etc returned to original last wednesday. Please join up on other form and we can both be up to speed and solve this problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Trial User

I have had the same problem with my 2003 element. Is there any answers for this Problem???
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same problem here
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Trial User

I still have the immobilizer problem. Just occured first thing in the morning on Friday Aug 5th and sat Aug 6th. Never had problem two days in a row. Usually 7/8 days apart at first start of the day for the last nine months. I deal with it by turning key to start, immediately back to off,immediately to start again and engine will actually start. Then I wack the gage cluster above the odometer and my gage cluster comes back to life. No one anywhere has any idea what this problem is all about.
I approach my element, look inside and have no flashing key light. I insert key and unlock driver's side door, still no flashing green key light, I actually open dooor and that is when my immobilizer lite comes on! My key is never near the ignition to precipitate any of these occurences.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Trial User

I came home from a 10 day vacation and my 2003 element wouldn't start. I replaced the battery and still nothing. No noise, no power, no nothing. The only electrical that works in the entire vehicle are the hazard lights and the horn. Is this the immobilizer? Does anyone know why this would happen? I've spoken with several mechanics and none of them have a clue. Even the Honda dealer. Does something need to be reset? Please help...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello, Did anyone get answers to the ignition problem, I have the same problem as Shaggy77. Thank You to all.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Trial User

I was having your problems myself. I took the steering column apart and investigated what may be the problem. My problem turned out that the key tumbler wasn't turning the ignition switch far enough, just barely not enough. I added .10 shim were the tumbler and the ignition switch go together. And the car starts every time now. I was getting a relay under the dash that was chattering when the car didn't want to start before as well as the same thing everyone else was describing. Hope this is everyone elses problem also, cheap and easy to fix.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see anywhere on this thread that suggests replacing the starter? I had an 03 element with 256,000 miles on original starter that would just click when turning the key, I banged the starter while someone held the key to run and it cranked right up
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely it's the ignition switch. Although I have not owned an Element, I do have a Honda ignition switch on my Honda. They do go bad and fail intermitently with the symptoms described here.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Trial User

Sounds like the same problem I have with my 2003 Element. It will crank but won't start. the dash would go crazy. If you try turning on the lights during this episode, the dash will really go crazy... flickering all the warning lights. There will also be times that the dash will completely go blank while driving. all the dash lights go dark and all gauges stop working but the engine will still run. I have found a way to make it start every time when it does this... although it is, in NO way a fix, I can get the car started every time and it works when the gauges go out. I simply turn the key to the on position just before the crank position. If you leave it there and the fuel gauge comes up to the actual fuel level, then it's fine. It will start normally. BUT if the fuel gauge doe not come up off the bottom, then it is having the "issue". All i do is simply whack the top of the dash where the gas gauge is with my fist. A good whack while blurting out some four letter words do the trick. I would love to find out the actual problem that's causing this but in the meantime, this works for me 100% of the time.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the instrument cluster which needs replacing, others have said this also.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: 2003 Element w/intermittent start problem

Originally Posted by wildwood
I was having your problems myself. I took the steering column apart and investigated what may be the problem. My problem turned out that the key tumbler wasn't turning the ignition switch far enough, just barely not enough. I added .10 shim were the tumbler and the ignition switch go together. And the car starts every time now. I was getting a relay under the dash that was chattering when the car didn't want to start before as well as the same thing everyone else was describing. Hope this is everyone elses problem also, cheap and easy to fix.
The idea of adding a shim is brilliant! Wish I read this sooner and wonder why Honda engineered something so close to the edge.

I've suffered a very similar problem on a 2005 Odyssey. It went from infrequent starting problems with no attempt to engage the starter gear or starter motor to getting towed home. The repair that made the greatest difference in my case was replacing the electrical contacts on the end of the ignition assembly ~$55 part. As long as you're comfortable pulling the steering wheel, not a bad DIY fix. However, we're still experiencing the occasional failure to start - I suspect most often when the key isn't being rotated fast enough upon starting. This makes me think we're only thousandths of an inch in wear or a few tens of degrees temperature change until the next real failure.

I experienced the buzz that sounds like it's coming from under the driver's side dash after the new switch was in when turning the key very slowly toward start, and in this case the buzz seems to be relay contacts on the STARTER CUT RELAY in the driver's under dash fuse block (integrated with the fuse block but requires removal of trim to access). For others describing this problem, I believe it's symptomatic of failure to be able to rotate the ignition switch sufficiently to get clean contact on the start contacts of this switch. On my vehicle, and I suspect on many, the immobilizer appears to affect the fuel pump and it does not show up in the starting circuit. The only items between battery positive and ground on the starter cut relay coil circuit are two fuses, the start switch contact, the transmission range switch (which ensures it only starts when in P or N), and the relay coil itself. In my case, some crazy troubleshooting clues led to a change of each of these components as well as the starter itself ending with the ignition switch contact. Doh!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Trial User

@Hanni23 - I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd kiss you man! THANK YOU.

This fixed my car this morning. Just had starter replaced and battery too, but lost instruments while driving at night last week, then wouldn't start today.

Turned the ignition to "on" position, then whacked the dash - sure enough - all gauges responded normally then I was able to start the car no problem.

Thank God you posted this - was about to have the car towed to dealer.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Clay

Originally Posted by hanni23
Sounds like the same problem I have with my 2003 Element. It will crank but won't start. the dash would go crazy. If you try turning on the lights during this episode, the dash will really go crazy... flickering all the warning lights. There will also be times that the dash will completely go blank while driving. all the dash lights go dark and all gauges stop working but the engine will still run. I have found a way to make it start every time when it does this... although it is, in NO way a fix, I can get the car started every time and it works when the gauges go out. I simply turn the key to the on position just before the crank position. If you leave it there and the fuel gauge comes up to the actual fuel level, then it's fine. It will start normally. BUT if the fuel gauge doe not come up off the bottom, then it is having the "issue". All i do is simply whack the top of the dash where the gas gauge is with my fist. A good whack while blurting out some four letter words do the trick. I would love to find out the actual problem that's causing this but in the meantime, this works for me 100% of the time.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wished I would have read this post along time ago . . .
I have replaced, ignition switch, Tumbler, relays, replaced battery and nothing has worked . . but, a good "WHACK" does the trick!!

Thank you Hanni23 for the tip!

Originally Posted by hanni23
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wanted to say that a immobilizerkey can't stand being next to an other immo key ,or next to anything magnetic , even a magnetic card ( to open a door or gate) is enough to enable the key to do it's work. i have almost nothing hanging on my key ring to prevent interferrence and to prevent that the weight of everything hanging onthe key ring wears out the contact .A honda contact is quikly worn out if there is to much weight hanging on the key ring.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Trial User

I have a question regarding the starting issues that a lot of folks seem to be having on the '03 Element. We have an '03 Element that we bought new that now has 100000 miles on it. It has been excellently maintained and has never had an issue.

Having said that the car was recently brought in for an ignition recall that was performed by the dealer. Ever since the recall the starting symptoms that several folks are experiencing on this thread are getting more and more regular.

I read where someone had put a shim under the tumbler in the ignition and it eliminated the problem. I would appreciate it if the person that did this could provide an explanation of the fix in more detail.

I did contact a dealer about this and his response was that they have never heard of this starting problem on an '03 Element (interesting). I then asked him to explain exactly in detail, what the recall involved. After asking him every possible way I could the best explanation he could provide was "They pop in a piece of plastic. His explanation was so bad I expected him to say they put a thingy in a thingy.

I have noticed when the car acts up on starting it seems to create almost a pulsing in the starter motor or a cadence that would be created by a low battery as well as the alternator, starter, etc.

I would sincerely appreciate any feedback I can get.

Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Trial User

I had trouble with my 2003 Element starting for about a year. Took it to the dealer a few times always with them recommending me replacing starter, immobilizer, etc and quoting me a huge total. I never let them do anything, was just trying to get them to fix it for me.

Anyway, I found this video:

Ended up replacing my starter switch with an AIRTEX 1S6043 Ignition Starter Switch and now it starts with no problems.

So please any hands-off car people like me, try to replace this part before spending a ton of money at a dealer or garage.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blipsqueak
I had trouble with my 2003 Element starting for about a year. Took it to the dealer a few times always with them recommending me replacing starter, immobilizer, etc and quoting me a huge total. I never let them do anything, was just trying to get them to fix it for me.

Anyway, I found this video: Honda Element Starter problem - YouTube

Ended up replacing my starter switch with an AIRTEX 1S6043 Ignition Starter Switch and now it starts with no problems.

So please any hands-off car people like me, try to replace this part before spending a ton of money at a dealer or garage.
Thanks for the post; seems to me that your problem is slightly different to what is happening to me.

My issue is that the cluster panel does not turn on which is effecting my car not to start. the cluster panel sometimes turns on perfect and other times it doesn't.

I found out that some wires behind the cluster panel is not connecting right, so when it is not working i take the dash apart (it is pretty easy) and move the wires that connect to the panel. this turns on my cluster panel each time.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Trial User

Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Trial User

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Element w/intermittent start problem