Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2003 Element Reverse Lights Circuitry / Wiring Diagram

Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 2003 Element Reverse Lights Circuitry / Wiring Diagram

I have a 2003 Element with automatic transmission.
I found a current leak-to-ground in the circuitry fed by the Reverse Lights fuse (this is a fuse in the main fuse box under the hood). There was nearly a 0.3A leak to ground which disappeared when I removed the fuse.
I replaced the Automatic Transmission Position Sensor Switch (located on LHS of transmission, behind the LHS front wheel). I had found hints on-line that this was the cause of such a problem.
However in this case, it did not solve my problem. Even with a new OEM Honda position-sensor switch, there is the same leak-to-ground.
Now, I need to dig deeper.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram from Honda which covers the entire 2003 Honda Element circuit fed from this Reverse Lights fuse?
I have ordered an OEM Honda set of manuals, but I won't have them in-hand for a few weeks and I am getting antsy about having no backup lights (as required by law).

I just found (on Honda Element Owner's Club Website) this similar thread, which was posted years ago by a different person, and it is still unanswered. It reads...

"My 2003 Element's backup lights turn on when I have the headlights turned on. With the headlights off the backup lights are off, when the headlights go on so do the backup lights. They do brighten up a bit when I put it in reverse. Any ideas on a fix or a cause? All other electronics are in fine working order, I have checked the fuses that are associated with the backup lights and all are alright. I was wondering what the A/T Relay switch does behind the glovebox and if that might be the problem. It is an automatic transmission. "

Last edited by em gee; 10-15-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Additional information on a similar problem