Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

00 CRV - Drum Brakes Squeak, especially in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 CRV - Drum Brakes Squeak, especially in Reverse

I recently replaced the entire rear brake system (high-quality NAPA wheel cylinders, Beck Arnley drums and shoes) to address a squeaking issue. I'm decent at drum brakes -- I have had good luck in the past setting them up on other Toyotas and Hondas, lubricating, and adjusting such that they work well without noise.

After a short amount of driving the noise returned. It is mostly apparent in reverse. Backing up with or without your foot on the brake you hear a little grinding chirp from the driver's side rear brake. The noise pulses at the frequency of the wheel rotation ("cheep, cheep, cheep").

When coming to a stop you can hear the same kind of noise when braking any harder than "very gentle." The noise typically shows up in the last 100 feet of stopping as the car is going more slowly.

I could try pulling the drum off and lubricating things AGAIN but I am starting to feel that it may be something else. Could this noise indicate excessive hub runout or a worn wheel bearing?

Any ideas appreciated... thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 CRV - Drum Brakes Squeak, especially in Reverse

Try taking the the drum off and rotating the hub. See if it feels uneven or sounds squeaky. If it does, its probably a bad bearing. Id try this first so you can eliminate that as a cause. If its all smooth, then continue to look at the brakes.

I had a similiar problem when I replaced my rear drum brakes. It didn't squeal as much as yours, but the last bit of braking vibrated the wheel really bad. Turns out my replacement drum was warped. Returned it for a new one, and have not had any issues since. I used the old brake drum as a "control" for testing this out, because it did not ever vibrate before.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I will see what I can determine about the hub. It's tricky because its an AWD version so there is the drag of the rear driveline.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So here I am more than 3 years later still dealing with the same weird brake issue on the CRV. And as I reread Ferret's response I am realizing that I have NOT confirmed if bearings are part of the issue or not but there are none of the usual symptoms like roaring during turns or anything.

I had a shop overhaul the rear brakes using all Honda parts. In a month the problem came back. They checked it, turned the drum again. Problem came back again, so I've just been living with it.

I did replace the center drive shaft since the u-joints were toast and had slack in them. This didn't change the drum brake noise at all. Also replaced rear lower control arms and all four struts (it needed it!) but no change to the brake noise.

Recently I took the drums off and adjusted the brakes again -- the adjusters had a little slack. The noise changed characteristics... at very light pedal pressure the brakes actually *knock* a little, and at slightly more pressure they start to do the pulsating squeak. At higher force there is no noise.

I guess I'll revisit the idea of rear wheel bearings to start. Any other ideas of things that could contribute and I may be overlooking?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Have you tried chamfering the leading edge of the friction brake material, also on the metal part of the brake shoes (where they touch on the back plate) put some high temperature copper slip to lubricate them too slip easy and not rub metal to metal.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack up the rear end, and give the tire/wheel combo a good shake down. If there is any bit of play then something is loose or the bearing is bad. Even the slightest bit of movement between where the wheel/brake turns and where the brake piston is mounted to the car will cause all kinds of weird noises and vibrations.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UK-Kev -- I have not tried chamfering the brake shoes, have you done this before with success? The little tabs that sit against the backing plate do have high-temp lubricant.

Ferret -- I tried my best to identify any slop in the rear wheel bearings. Couldn't find anything at all.

As I investigated more I determined the issue is coming from the passenger side only. When I turn the wheel I can feel it hit a spot once per rotation that has a bit more friction. If I run it in reverse it grabs much harder... again, once per rotation and for about 1/8th of a turn.

I tried indexing the brake drum. The grab point seemed to follow the drum but not exactly.

The drums are pretty new and have been turned at least twice in the process of trying to chase down this issue. I might try replacing the one on this side just to rule it out, or maybe swap pass/driver side drums and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to mention too -- I turned the hub without the brake drum on it and it felt smooth throughout the rotation.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

[QUOTE=JZiggy;51560633]UK-Kev -- I have not tried chamfering the brake shoes, have you done this before with success? The little tabs that sit against the backing plate do have high-temp lubricant.

Hi, to answer your question been chamfering the brake shoes and pads for many years - This is one of the tricks shown to me as an apprentice mechanic some 40 years ago and never had any issues.

You will note that new pads / shoes already come with a small chamfer, but wears off in no time at all.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Success! I got a used hub from eBay, swapped over my brake stuff, bolted it on, and all is well. The original bearing had the slightest grain in it but not bad. I think the hub may have been tweaked or something.