Notices

WTF!!! 😐I think the wiring diagrams are wrong

Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!!! 😐I think the wiring diagrams are wrong

Purchased a 91 lx sedan a month back, had some weak *** janky head unit installed. Anyway I've been sitting on this brand new Pioneer unit I've had for a year or two and thought about installing it, but it's old skool and I wanted something Bluetooth capable. No one uses CDs anymore right?!? Lol. Anyway found a pioneer deck on sale the other day, DEH-380bt something like that anyway no CD player, just radio and Bluetooth. Well this isn't my first install by any means. If I know how to do anything, I know how to install a deck, should have made a living out of it. Well to my surprise, pulling the old deck out I seen the wonderful hack job of electrical tape and wires nuts coming from the deck into the factory harness. (Ghetto Fabulous as some say) I swear some people have no sense. So now I'm out a factory radio plug. Anyway I order everything to make it somewhat right and clean, ordered The plug for factory harness and got the plug end for the deck, some shrink tube ( to busy for solder lol) and found a little bit of time do it. Well long story short, I followed a wiring diagram that I found online and after searching about 20 different ones, they were all the same. Well got everything connected, heat shrinked and ready for install. Well got it all plugged,went to turn key before button up and well..... Nothing....messed with it awhile everything seemed good, thought maybe a faulty unit, so lucky enough my old (new) unit had the same plug, I tried that and that to...nothing. I'm confused because the janky unit worked and it was all rigged up. And now I think and are pretty sure that every wire is with its mate and I'm getting no fire?!?!? Anyway my question, according to the diagrams the illumination is red/blk, orange on deck. I noticed when wiring the "Honda" plug in that red/blk coming from the harness had two red/blk then it went into one red/blk?!?! I think but haven't tried, got dark out, but could it be possible that those wires are the ignition? I've ran my test light but only getting light from the yellow(constant). Should my ignition light the tester when on?Could it be possible that my ignition and illumination be crossed from the factory? Should I at least be getting power to unit with just the yellow(constant) and ground anyway?!?! I'm confused. Another thing, I do remember many many years ago on a si hatch that I on i owned, it seems that I came across this very same problem but at the same time not 100% sure the fix. I know this is a novel and I apologize. Just sometime hard to explain anything in text form. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a long quite hour drive on the way to the grind in the a.m. Thanks fellas!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:40 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WTF!!! 😐I think the wiring diagrams are wrong

very difficult to read without sentence and paragraph structure.

i THINK you tried to solder a factory plug on to the hacked harness or was it a plug for the head unit?

my fix is usually go to the junkyard and get a plug from the same year car and then go color to color of the factory plug, and then get the adapter harness from scosche (or similar) and never have had an issue before...
Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the structure, writing this from a phone at the same time trying to feed two angry kids. Anyway, that's the thing, I ordered a factory plug and the harness adapter. I searched many wiring diagrams and found they were all the same. Hell the factory (aftermarket) plug came with a link to a 88-91 ef wiring diagram as well. I used no solder, just twist and the heat shrink. The thing is, I followed the diagram(s) and connecting the harness adapter is pretty straight forward to the deck and still getting nothing? It's relatively a very simple process.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand about the phone and kids lol

Is it possible that there is more damage elsewhere? Checked fuses as well?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. Yeah and the kiddos always seem to be hungry to lol!!! And this daylight saving time is no fun when the sun sets to damn early. Anyway, yeah I've double checked everything. All fuses are good, everything seems to be working as it should. The car is basically all stock. Do or would you know, if I ground my test light, probe it to the switched ignition, should the light be dead and then with the key to on, should it light up? My guess as if I might be wrong, I believe that my illumination wire coming from the car harness is wrong and is maybe the switch ignition wire, and vise versa. Speaking of the illumination wire coming from the cars harness is red with black stripe, but looking at it, it's two wires running together to a fancy little connector that makes it a single wire to the factory plug.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a test light
First put clamp to a positive of battery then check for ur ground
Second put clamp to ground test all wires to plug to see if one is positive all time signal
last turn key on find ur switched positive
If u have that then it's ur radio if missing one signal then repair as necessary my guess is ur fuse under dash
Old 01-28-2016, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oldschoolmaster
Use a test light
First put clamp to a positive of battery then check for ur ground
Second put clamp to ground test all wires to plug to see if one is positive all time signal
last turn key on find ur switched positive
If u have that then it's ur radio if missing one signal then repair as necessary my guess is ur fuse under dash

Thanks bro. That's been in my head all morning. That's exactly what I was going to do when I get home. If I have any daylight that is. I'll keep you guys posted. Have a great day!!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ

Ronj you the man bro!! That's exactly the it!! Anyway, I got it before I got this. I was able to figure it out. Got it all in working order and are happy now! I wish I would've got the info you sent sooner, but it ended being no big deal. But as I stated earlier, every where I looked for a diagram, they were all the same and for me, they were wrong. I suggest anyone that may experience this should refer to RonJ post. Thanks again bro!!

This is the info I was getting everywhere and like I stated are wrong.