Notices

1990 Civic Owner; Wants To Upgrade, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Civic Owner; Wants To Upgrade, Need Help!

Good afternoon.
I have owned my civic for about 10 years, most of which i could not legally drive, now that i can i would like to upgrade the hell out of it.
I am curious what any knowledgeable people would suggest for good sites to buy parts off of, and any good suggestions on engine and transmission upgrades.
I currently have a 4 speed manual, and would like to move to a 5 speed, but would also like to potentially upgrade the engine to be a bit quicker.
Both run very well for its age and mileage so its not too high on my list until i get some of the other items.
Everything else has basically been replaced, mechanically, with the exception of the rear suspension and cosmetic items.
My interior was in great shape until i realized moisture has been accumulating under my rear cover above my spare tire and has been growing mold, which has spread to my backseat.
Now it appears i will be replacing most of, if not all, of my interior, and its a shame because the grey leather is in near perfect condition except for my drivers seat.
Any help with some of my issues would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: 1990 Civic Owner; Wants To Upgrade, Need Help!

This particular area of the site is for 1992 to 2000 models. The 1990 model is considerably different.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

How many miles? What trim level? With it being a 4-speed, I'm guessing it's a STD, so I'd recommend doing the MPFI swap. You could look around for a used trans, or you could give Synchrotech a call and just buy a rebuilt 5-speed from them. Focus on getting all the maintenance items in good shape before you start buying bolt-ons. Intake and exhaust upgrades may wake up a few extra ponies, but don't expect anything drastic. Did you replace all your suspension bushings yet? That makes the car handle / feel much better.

The hatch seals start leaking on these cars - see if you can pinpoint the leak and get it fixed. Interiors aren't as plentiful as they once were - consider getting yours reupholstered. Or pull it out and all apart and give it a good wash/scrub...it may clean up.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies for the post being in the wrong area.
i have 248k miles however it runs quite well and have had zero issues with the motor.
What do you mean by maintenance items?
not sure of the trim level but i think its pretty basic with a standard transmission.
I have no AC, no power anything of any kind, including power steering.
I have basically replaced every system aside from motor, transmission, and rear suspension.
I have replaced the bushings on the front end and plan to when i replace the rear suspension in the next few weeks.
I didnt expect anything drastic from the current motor however when i replace the motor and transmission i would like it to be fairly quick over top speed as the roads in the state i live in are terrible and going 150 mph isnt very feasible.
Any ideas on the best way to replace the seals, does anyone sell a seal replacement kit or is this something i will have to do custom?
I know since the cash for clunkers deal went on, a lot of older model cars are a lot harder to find and i havent had much luck finding anything i could buy for parts so i was pretty much settled on reupholstering.

i greatly appreciate all your thoughts and time helping me with this situation, thank you!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
This particular area of the site is for 1992 to 2000 models. The 1990 model is considerably different.
This site is for 88-91 civics according to the heading above. That includes 1990 models.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

other than the mold, what are you looking to change or upgrade? you have the most base model civic hatch, your options are still endless.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And what's your budget, of course.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend swapping in a D16A6 engine which is the stock engine for the 89-91 Civic Si engine. You need to change to MPFI (wire in 2 injectors and resistor box) , and get a new ecu to match. Some bolt ons will make it more then enough power for you. (If you are in California make sure these are all CARB legal -- cold air intake, intake manifold, 4-1 exhaust manifold, cat back exhaust etc)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You owned it for 10 years but couldn't drive it

So I am thinking either you are a teenager or you were waiting out a DUI conviction
Either way...

I want to throw some water on your fire.. 99% of the others in this group will give you all the information you need to swap in a B20 with a super charger and intercooler but ... I really have to say this because I wish someone had said it to me when I was a teen.

You are going to eat up all of your money and you are going to be left with a vehicle that doesn't perform as well as you want it to and doesn't look as great as you want it to... and your time is going to be gone.. your money is going to be gone.. and in the end its not going to make you the happiest guy in the world.

I have a 90 CRX its got a b15 with an Automatic.. try finding one of them..
I am the second owner and it has just over 150k .. the interior is fine the rest of the car is fine....

I went through this phase where I wanted to get the largest engine and cram it in and try to make it a runner.

It is just not worth it.. and it wasn't worth it 15 years ago when I was thinking of doing it .. back when there were tons of parts in junkyards

Today the two closest junkyards to my have shut down.. I don't know why i think it is the EPA going after them
wrecks around here get taken 50 miles north to the city and then crushed... they don't care it could be a 68 shelby mustang they will crush it for scrap

But if you are going to do this you have to have a plan
And what you really need to find to be sucessful in these restorations is taking over someone elses failed project.
when they say they have had enough of it.. have dumped tons of cash in it .. and still its not done and they just have to get rid of it

If not then you need a few parts cars.. really hard to find... and if you can find them people want a premium for them because they are insane

But honestly I don't know.. is this going to be worth it in the end for you?

I am not your mom I am not your dad.. I am not your buddy...
I am just a guy telling you that you can end up dumping huge amounts of money into suspension, brakes, wheels, engine parts and on and on and on

And at some point you are going to say to yourself you need a new car
or you need a car that is less than 5 years old
to drive to college or work or for your family or whatever

Then you are going to try to sell it on ebay for $35,000 and HA right

The point is... there are people out there.. companies that sell stuff..
they are more than happy to empty your pockets and they will sleep just fine at night

And in the end you probably could have found a 2012 something and been much happier

If I am the only one that says it.. then good.. but someone has to say these things.

Its like I use to always hear people saying I am going to get an Acura and pop the engine out and put it in my CRX or Hatchback

and I am thinking... Just buy the acura and drive it ...

and you could buy a CR-Z for $5k to 10k and it would be a clean driver and it would be newish and clean

Just sayin.. ok .. think it all through
and this is coming from someone who has owned a CRX over 20 years... but its not my only car
Old 11-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey! i know its been a while, and i considered all the tips and concerns and since my transmission has stopped working, i recently purchased a 2019 honda civic coupe sport, seeing as that was the only model of civic coupes that supported a manual transmission unfortunately.
I do appreciate all of your time and help with my concerns on my 1990.
I am going to keep it and in the slowly try and find a transmission/engine combo to beef it up a bit.
Dare i ask if anyone has any suggestions on cheap/powerful performance upgrades for my 2019 coupe sport, or should i start a new thread and begin anew?
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i totally get what you are saying but for me there something about the body and design of my 1990 honda civic hatch that makes me sympathize with the owners who want to pop the engine out of an acura.
but i did take your advice and for now, got the new car, because at the end of the day i cant afford to spend the time searching and working on my main car (the 1990 at the time) and still try and juggle working 60 hours a week.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jared patton
Dare i ask if anyone has any suggestions on cheap/powerful performance upgrades for my 2019 coupe sport, or should i start a new thread and begin anew?
You should start your question in the forum or your year/model of car.
Great upgrade for the Sport is to return it and get an Si.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the 1st generation CRXs are gone because people tried to mod them or "build" them and ended up ruining them. They ended up in junkyards over the years. Now they are so rare I can't even find parts for my stock 1987 crx. Not at the junkyard and often not even on ebay. Them same thing happened with all the nice 80s and early 90s hondas.