Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   Wont start unless I rock-er back and fourth... (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/wont-start-unless-i-rock-er-back-fourth-3110761/)

3s0n3 12-15-2012 12:59 PM

Wont start unless I rock-er back and fourth...

Im still driving the same 1991 crx si with a 1997 gsr engine and trans that you all helped me build years and years ago. I have had zero problems until now. Sometimes it just does not want to start but if i leave it in first gear and rock the cara back and fourth it starts? I was thinking neutral safety switch? All battery cables, grounds, battery and ignition switch have been replaced or inspected. If you all think its the NSS, where is it on this trans?

00CiViC00 12-15-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Wont start unless I rock-er back and fourth...

sounds like your starter and flywheel are not lining up , kinda like one is missing teeth

90civichbsi 12-15-2012 04:58 PM

Does it turn over when it wont start or does the starter not turn at all? Is there a click when you turn the ignition? (solenoid)

If its not turning over at all and there is a click it's probably just a bad starter motor. Rocking the car back and forth probably just loosens the brushes and gets it to spin after its been sitting.

CoreyEX 12-16-2012 04:27 PM

had a similar issues with my B20V set up.

take the starter out, connect it to a jumper box and see if it is even working right..

Have you tried beating your starter with a hammer then attempt to start? i had to do that to mine for awhile LOL! Eventually stopped working, got a brand new OEM starter from honda, havnt failed me for almost a year.

CoreyEX 12-16-2012 04:28 PM

and yes i would have to rock mine back and forth ( foward and back in gear, to move the teeth around ) and it would start barely just enough were compression took it and started right up.

SlaminSohCivic 12-17-2012 10:54 AM

My EF B18B1 SWAP DOES SAME THING...What is issue?

3s0n3 12-17-2012 11:03 AM

Once I move the car back and fourth and jar everything around it starts right up no problem...

GPC91 12-17-2012 03:12 PM

i had a friend who had to do that with his truck. his flywheel was missing some teeth in a spot and had to move it around till the starter had teeth to grab

granted that it was an 80s f250 but it seems like this would work here also

3s0n3 12-30-2012 09:01 AM

The starter doesnt seem to do anything you hear a click but other than that nothing... once the engine and trans seem to be jolted back and fourth a bit it just starts right up. wtf

alex14 12-30-2012 10:22 AM

starter

trippsEF9 12-31-2012 01:22 PM

lol thats a honda for u i can imagine seeing someone rock a crx back and forth to get it started
sucks if u had a girl with u

Glowicki 01-02-2013 08:25 PM

I apologize for not being able to contribute any technical information. But two days after I bought my crx I was driving around in the rain during February with a girl and it died in the middle of traffic going up hill. The last post reminded me of the event. Hella embarrassing...

mtflyboy25 01-03-2013 05:52 AM

try whacking it with a hammer/rubber mallet preferably lol... it really does work if the brushes get stuck...

zrickety 01-03-2013 09:20 AM

Buy a starter.

4drEF 01-03-2013 09:39 AM

What is the logic behind rocking the car being associated to the starter?

Starter does no engage the flywheel until you turn the key.
Putting the car in gear engages the motor to the transmission and rocking the car back and forth can possibly turn the flywheel a little, but it is impossible for it to rotate the starter.

REXZACTLY904 01-03-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3s0n3 (Post 48232081)
Once I move the car back and fourth and jar everything around it starts right up no problem...

Check the Harness Ground right by the THERMOSTAT neck. That was my problem when I had the same problem! Hope that helps.