Notices

Who wants proper installation information for the JDM Civic SiR Cluster…

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Who wants proper installation information for the JDM Civic SiR Cluster…

Just like the title says. Who would like a newer version of the JDM Civic SiR Cluster install?

I'm currently installing one in my White '90 Si - information will be based on this platform - due to past happenings and the installation of my spare B16A2 (OBD0 lookalike). Since the car doesn't have an engine in it - or front end on it - testing will have to wait unless I install it into my Black '90 Si.

Let me know either by IM or post to the thread.

I know the clusters are expensive and information is on the web, but since I've been working on this the information I'm looking for isn't out there...

I’ve already asked for permission to sticky this in the CRX & Civic FAQ Version 2.0 thread.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've got it just post it up - with searchable info in the thread title!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll post my info when I get it done assuming there's some demand for it. I don't like doing things in vain...
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump.

i wanna see too!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a quick update…

I've finished the wiring pin-out so it’s USDM friendly.

It’s currently in PDF, but if need be let me know if you find a mistake or have a question!

Link: http://trever.mcdermott.googlepages.com/jdmef9cluster

I have pictures coming!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM

bump picking mine up tmrrr a write up would be great!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who wants proper installation information for the JDM Civic SiR Cluster…

Update number two…

I’m 98% complete with my JDM EF9 gauge cluster install and have added a few pictures to my Google website showing the following:

EF9 gauge cluster after cleaning
EF7 dash harness still installed in the dash
ED7 dash harness still installed in the dash

http://trever.mcdermott.googlepages.com/jdmef9cluster

More to come…
Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who wants proper installation information for the JDM Civic SiR Cluster…

how do you reset the odometer?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't try!

They "person" I bought it from did some nasty things to the cluster...

I don't even know if it's going to work, but I have a spare if I need it.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update number three…

I uploaded all of my relative pictures

I’m going to try and finish all of my Excel work later this evening and should have it posted up tonight or so…
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update number four...

All of the pin outs are in PDF and have matching pictures in the http://trever.mcdermott.googlepages....mtousdmharness

This will be the last update for a bit, but if you have questions please ask!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's been a while, but I thought I'd post a picture of my 98% complete dash with cluster...

Last edited by 01-0041; 04-01-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: picture
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...looks like this died.

I thought it could use a picture.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 AM

damnit i want that cluster so bad. lookin good.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I am here just to admire your wiring skills. Great job. As for the PDF's I think it could be helpful if you could put it all together into one PDF (including pictures), and attach it here as well. That is in case your site goes down, or you retire. Just a suggestion...
Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by radex7
Man, I am here just to admire your wiring skills. Great job. As for the PDF's I think it could be helpful if you could put it all together into one PDF (including pictures), and attach it here as well. That is in case your site goes down, or you retire. Just a suggestion...

Thank you.

It's a good suggestion; I wanted to verify everything before I did that.

Now that things are getting close I should be able to have everything - except the low fuel light working by next weekend.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wanted to add a couple pictures to this...

I was able to check a few more things today...

The most important thing to note is the 4-pin plug that goes to the top view display. Since the wiring is correct for the RHD car you need to change how the cluster displays the open door.

If you don’t the “lights on warning tone” will sound for the passenger not you…

This is what it looks like from the factory…

This is what it needs to look like for a LHD car…

A few more pictures of the cluster…

Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man i wish i could find the info on swapping a jdm sir ek cluster into my hatch... looks sick tho man!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 PM

how is the writting going. i'm looking to do this to my crx but looks alittle more involved than i though. I was going to try to repin my cluster. Can that be done or do i have to strip all the harness?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey can you come to LA, CA do wiring in my 91 civic DX- 5 speed?? LOL Air fare on me.. =P

No seriously thou, I also admire you did the whole wiring thing.I'm just not electronic savvy.

You tell me to do custom interior or motor swapped..I can do it..but electronic just not my thing..

But I must say again you did Nice job.. (Thumbs up)

Just lil suggestion here, If I were you, i'll convert those KM onto MPH.
You want JDM look, you got the RPM - redline up to 8K but the KM gotta go man, to me just feel stupid using Kilometer in the U.S.Besides, sometimes when you drive in the local, your neigborhood you dont know how fast you going or the speed limit are... (Watch for cops, they want our $$$ ).

Well just .2 cents
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by getsome.crx
how is the writting going. i'm looking to do this to my crx but looks alittle more involved than i though. I was going to try to repin my cluster. Can that be done or do i have to strip all the harness?
I never finished this due to a lack of interest…

I thought it was a bit simpler to redo the harness as I had a JDM one to work with.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bmanuhutu
Hey can you come to LA, CA do wiring in my 91 civic DX- 5 speed?? LOL Air fare on me.. =P
Funny ;-)

No seriously thou, I also admire you did the whole wiring thing.I'm just not electronic savvy.

You tell me to do custom interior or motor swapped..I can do it..but electronic just not my thing..

But I must say again you did Nice job.. (Thumbs up)
Thank you.

Just lil suggestion here, If I were you, i'll convert those KM onto MPH.
You want JDM look, you got the RPM - redline up to 8K but the KM gotta go man, to me just feel stupid using Kilometer in the U.S.Besides, sometimes when you drive in the local, your neigborhood you dont know how fast you going or the speed limit are... (Watch for cops, they want our $$$ ).

Well just .2 cents
I’m not worried about the KPH as I know the conversion, but more importantly I don’t know how much I’ll drive the car once it’s finished.

Thank you for your concern. ;-)
Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished today swapping the EE9 EDM gauge cluster from a 1.6 VT civic into my 1990 Dx hatch. All went well but since there is no provision for a dimmer control on the EDM cluster the dimmer merely dims the HVAC which wasn't a problem because I left it on full bright all the time anyway.

I liked the EDM cluster because it is designed to go into a LHD car, reads in MPH to 150 and has a redline of 8k and also displays to roughly 9.5k rpm like the JDM. It also retains the cable driven speedo so no change has to be made to accept the electrial VSS output. I looked around forever for the info to do this and all I found was info for the JDM one. I had to swap 4 wires in connector "B" and 1 wire in connector "A" and then swap in the Auto seatbelt control from an Si model cluster. The display looks exactly like a standard USDM Si but with the higher redline and speed display.

There are also spots on the EDM cluster for ALB warning and Hazard warning which I just used for the Door open light and Seatbelt light. There is one aspect of the gauge cluter which I want to still get to work. In connector "D" the small blue one on the EDM cluster there is an input for a low-fuel light. It requires an input from the fuel tank sending unit, specifically one equipped with a thermistor that will output power to the light when the gas no longer cools the thermistor in the tank. Unfortunately sourcing an EDM sending unit is a no go as I have personal contacts in the UK and they were not able to source them. So I have contemplated modifying a USDM civic sending unit to accept the 90-93 Integra thermistor as that car had a similarly designed low-fuel light. Not sure what I'll do yet but the essential workings of the cluster are there and I verifyed the mph is correct with a local speed trap display..

Rolling the milage back in one of these clusters is super easy to do if you're careful. I had to on mine because I wanted it to reflect the low miles it has, approx. 50k.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Both the jdm and edm clusters have their advantages, here's shot of each so people can see the physical differences

Quick Reply: Who wants proper installation information for the JDM Civic SiR Cluster…