Notices

weird steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird steering issues

alright my steering on my 91 dx hatch is acting really weird. here are some weird things that are going on

-when turned to the right, the wheel is tight, when turned to the left, its loose and has some play. meaning when i turn it, i have to turn it more than normal to get the wheels to turn

-when i hit certain bumps, my wheel jerks to the right and left

-when i turn to the left, and im going slow, i can let go of the wheel and it will turn completely by itself, quick, all the way.

-my car veers to the left when my hands arent on the wheel

-when i turn to the left at higher speeds, i get a vibration sound coming from that side (i think its from that side, but i get a vibrating noise, sounds like its from the wheels)

any ideas?
Old 01-13-2004, 12:24 AM
ninjaMONKEY

Default Re: weird steering issues (menappi)

how low is your car?

search to check on how to fix the following:
-check ur shocks, are they out? (replace if so)

-if you have been driving on shocks that are out ur rear crossmember (where the steering arms are attached to) might have a crack in it. (replace it if so)

-check your steering column check to see there is nothing under that dash obstructing it. then check where the steering column connects to the steering arms.

you might want to get a helms manual if you want to tackle the problem yourself. its mostly a process of elimination.

good luck
Old 01-13-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got the same problem. check your tires/wheels for proper psi and balance.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:35 AM
ninjaMONKEY

Default Re: (RockTheMullet)

after reading it again it really sounds like ur springs and shocks are completely out meaning ur driving on ur chassis essentially. i had this problem on a junker i bought from a guy that cut his springs and let his car go from bad to worse i replaced the struts (new shocks and springs) and everything was fine. i later found out that the rear crossmember was cracked causing the right side to be very loose. check for a crack if ur suspension is still good

i got rid of the car btw