Notices

transmission questions (differential/oil/bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission questions (differential/oil/bearing)

i just replaced the input shaft bearing in my y1 tranny and filled the case with non synthetic mobil1 10w-30. when the mainshaft is rotating, i still hear a bearing making noise at idle or with a load. The clutch and pilot bearings are new. The existing angular ball and needle bearings on the mainshaft seemed to be ok.

when the case was open excessive side to side play was found on both diff bearings and one of them is spun. i had a jdm s1 tranny laying around so i swapped ring gears and dropped in my spare diff.

i'd like to know if
1. honda mtf will silence the bearing noise?
2. the y1 diff is garbage?

thanks

Modified by eda6 at 7:10 PM 1/17/2008
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: transmission questions (eda6)

did u replace the throw out bearing common problem
Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission questions (1kleenef)

yes, the throwout bearing was replaced.
when i press the clutch pedal to the floor the noise stops.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

I would really recommend switching to Honda MTF ASAP.

Have you tried driving it yet? Usually I'd say that's a bad ISB, but if you just replaced it, maybe it need sto be broken in?

I remember when I rebuilt my L3 trans last year there was some noise from the ISB for a little while then it was fine.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

Maybe the bearin on the other end of the input shaft bearing? Opposite side of forks.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sirtef9)

wiZCo: i've driven 175 miles. how many miles did it take to "break in" your isb?
sirtef9: you're probably right.

i'll try some honda mtf and see what happens. new bearings are on their way just in case. they'll be used in the s1 tranny if the y1 doesn't need them.
thanks guys

what about the differential? the inner race turns when i spin the outer race. do i need new bearings
or another diff and new bearings?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wiZCo: i've driven 175 miles. how many miles did it take to "break in" your isb?
sirtef9: you're probably right.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it took much less than that. More like one good trip on the freeway.

I would probably inspect the mainshaft end bearing as well like sirtef suggested. You may just consider replacing them all while you're in there.

There may be some problem with the differential's spacing as well. Every diff is spaced differently, you may need to shim it out to match the specs of your old one. I would not know where to start with that. You can try to PM "Mista b0ne" on here, he's the resident transmission guru.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

a fluid swap made the noise louder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There may be some problem with the differential's spacing as well. Every diff is spaced differently, you may need to shim it out to match the specs of your old one. I would not know where to start with that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i properly preloaded the diff. what you do is put the diff in the clutch housing and make sure it's bottomed out. then you put the case on and use feeler gages to chgeck clearance between the thrust shim and the outer race of the diff bearing. spec is 0-.004" and i had 0.

i ordered new axles seals, interlock, mainshaft needle bearings for 3rd 4th and 5th, and outboard mainshaft ball bearing from the dealer.

once the tranny was apart i noticed the inner race of the new isb was overheated and the outboard bearing was garbage as expected. while waiting for parts i blueprinted the tranny.
the next day i figured i'd call the dealer to see if they had another isb. i was shocked one was available and didn't have to be special ordered.

last night i cleaned the magnet and the metal silt on the outboard mainshaft oil plate. found the
oil plate was warped. also found the spring washer installed dish side down . the spring washer is supposed to be installed dish side up. i installed it backwards.

the car is now back together and i've driven it.
noises are gone, no more oil leaks, new needle bearing eliminated most of the side to side play on 3rd, 4th and 5th. the new interlock took away the sloppy shifter feeling.

Modified by eda6 at 2:52 PM 1/26/2008
Old 01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Good to know you figured it out.

I'll bet you were getting a lot of noise from the upside-down spring washer.