Notices

start up problem, any idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start up problem, any idea?

Hello

my car recently developed some start up problems hopefully you guys can give me some insights.

Symptoms:
when i start the car as usual the car will turn over but then splutters, and eventually it dies.
then i try to start again it just wont turn over. I try to press the gas pedal to give gas but it seems no fuel is being sent (the needle on the tachometer wont move up at all and drops to zero).
After a several attempts (just turning the key as usual without pressing the gas pedal) ,it fires up and idle perfectly.
It occasionally happens in both cold start (after sitting for a night) or warm start (after having driven for like 10miles or more) .

Car is a 90 si complete stock.

Appreciate any inputs
Old 09-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: start up problem, any idea?

Is your fuel pump priming? Do you have fuel pressure and what is it? When was the fuel filter last replaced? What mileage on the car? Has the main relay ever been replaced?

That's just the first couple questions that come to mind - gotta have more info to narrow it down.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus
Is your fuel pump priming? Do you have fuel pressure and what is it? When was the fuel filter last replaced? What mileage on the car? Has the main relay ever been replaced?

That's just the first couple questions that come to mind - gotta have more info to narrow it down.
thanks for the pointers, will look into those area
Old 03-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus

Hello
My mechanic had done a tune up, which includes new plugs and wires, oil change, timing belt, water pump and etc) on my car and the start up problem seemed to go away until yesterday.

Symptoms:
when i start the car as usual the car will turn over but then splutters, and eventually it dies.
then i try to start again it just wont turn over. I try to press the gas pedal to give gas but it seems no fuel is being sent (the needle on the tachometer wont move up at all and drops to zero).
After a several attempts (just turning the key as usual without pressing the gas pedal) ,it fires up and idle perfectly.
It occasionally happens in both cold start (after sitting for a night) or warm start (after having driven for like 10miles or more) .

Car is a 90 si complete stock with 100k on the clock.

Any input is appreciated
Old 03-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuel pump. see if it is priming when you turn on the ignition.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evo9GSR
check your fuel pump. see if it is priming when you turn on the ignition.
thanks will check
Old 04-23-2020, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so finally got around to check on the problem.
I checked the main relay module and it appears to be good after following the diagnosis on factory manual.

the fuel pump, as far as I can tell the priming sound is intermittent. if there's priming (I believe it last for around 1 to 2 secs), then the car starts up.
if there isn't, it wont start.

Sometimes if it starts up it might stalls then die right away no matter how hard I step on the gas, it just wont rev up...…..

so all said, is my fuel pump going out?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is Honda fuel pumps are very reliable. I would look at your engine coolant temperature sensor. Jump the plug with a paper clip. See if it starts. If the sensor fails it will flood your engine with too much fuel. Since you think it may be a fuel problem. Take off the fuel line that goes to the fuel injector rail. Put the fuel line in a bucket. When you turn on the key it should put a bunch a fuel in the bucket. If it does not. Check the ignition switch for a bad contacts. It comes apart and you can scrape the metal with a screw driver. I've had both off these issues with me 93 accord. The most recent was the ect sensor. It would start intermittently. Once it started it ran fine.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not going to claim the ECT can't be involved, but my (admittedly very limited) understanding of OBD0 indicates the ECT should not be critical to startup. And while I'd agree with the previous statement that Honda fuel pumps are reliable, keep in mind that an original pump is thirty years old. Failure is going to occur eventually - it could be now.
If priming is intermittent as your ear indicates but the relay tests good, then first check wiring to (hopefully) see if that is good. Next will be dropping the whole tank to get to the pump, and enjoy one of the worst parts of having an ED/EE/EF... try to remember that the most of the car was designed better than this.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel pump. It’s easy unplug it and it’s two bolts to drop the tank. Make sure you get the right strainer too. You’ll have to find that YouTube vid but it’s out there it’s $25 too but it’s the right one even for my 90 sedan and don’t pinch the fuel line when you put the tank back up. if your problem doesn’t go away and just changes a little return the pump and try another one.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys for all the inputs

so does the below symptom sound like ignition switch related or fuel pump related or both?

Sometimes if it starts up it might stalls then die right away no matter how hard I step on the gas, it just wont rev up...…..
Old 05-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i replaced the ignition switch and doesn't seem to solve the problem.

i ran the fuel pump test by shorting the 2 pins on the main relay harness as below and there's continuous priming sound.
9. Connect a jumper wire between the BLACK/YELLOW wire (pin 5) and the YELLOW/BLACK wire (pin 7).
10. Turn the ignition switch ON.

however, when i reinstalled the main relay, turn the ignition to ON position and i don't hear any fuel priming, do i have a bad relay? I also ran a relay test following Factory service manual instruction and everything checks...…..

Any idea?
Old 05-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure why you needed to replace the ignition switch. Have you checked the wiring to the pump? Did you figure out when the fuel filter was last replaced?