Notices

Timing belt came loose, couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt came loose, couple questions.

So my timing belt came loose while my car was @ a stand still. I was just giving it some gas when it happened. So I've got a couple questions =P

First, how do I go about manually cranking to hear for bent valves etc. Is it the crank pully? (and/or the one with the alternator belt also on it)
Second, I have no timing belt cover so I'm not sure what TDC for the crank pully is. I've seen people just stick a wire hanger down valve #1 and eyeball it until it's as far as it will go up without it starting to go back down.. is that correct? if so, is there any specific stage it needs to be in when doing this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Timing belt came loose, couple questions. (Hi. I'm new.)

bump
Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing belt came loose, couple questions. (Hi. I'm new.)

Bumping after only 25 min?

anyhow, you're not going to crank over an listen for bent valves. YOu can do a compression test, but first, set TDC on #1 and proper cam position and install timing belt. Turn the bottom end at the crank pulley. I locate TDC with a dowel, it's fine.

Why don't you have a timing belt cover? If you've got your belt just chillin out in the open, you're asking for trouble, and looks like you found it.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:42 PM

There was no cover when I bought the car.. but doesnt the cover just protect from rock kickup etc... it wont stop the belt from slipping or coming loose, will it?

Alrighty.
What do you mean by "turn the buttom end at the crank pully"?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't had a cover on any of my cars and it was never a problem, but better safe then sorry.
He means you put a 17mm on the crank pulley (center) and turn it counter clockwise until the dowel is at the peak of it's travel.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 PM

Why must it be turned counter clockwise?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what the manual says, I've turned it clockwise sometimes but I wouldn't risk it, since the manual states specifically counter cw.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menappi)

Your engine spins ccw, that's why you turn it that way.

Sounds to me like you should take your car to a shop before you go screwing it up even more.

The cover protects your timing belt. You get something thrown up in there, and boom goes your motor (which I bet is what happened)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is an easy fix, you don’t need to take it to the shop, first off you need to take the motor mount out and support the engine. Then take off your a/c and alternator belts. Once they are removed take off the a/c pulley so you can get to the crank pulley. Put the bolt that held on the a/c pulley back into the crank and then you will be able to turn it. Make sure that the notch on the pulley is straight up. Then make sure the cam gear is in the correct position. Take out spark plug # 1 and stick a screw driver down inside of it, if it hits then you are at TDC.

NOTE: nothing should be wrong with the internals due to the fact that SOHC's are non-interference motor. Witch means that there is enough room so the wont collide.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (danmdevries)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danmdevries &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your engine spins ccw, that's why you turn it that way.

Sounds to me like you should take your car to a shop before you go screwing it up even more.

The cover protects your timing belt. You get something thrown up in there, and boom goes your motor (which I bet is what happened)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, my car was @ a stand still when I was giving it gas and the tensor came loose, which caused the timing belt to slip.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vietballer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is an easy fix, you don’t need to take it to the shop, first off you need to take the motor mount out and support the engine. Then take off your a/c and alternator belts. Once they are removed take off the a/c pulley so you can get to the crank pulley. Put the bolt that held on the a/c pulley back into the crank and then you will be able to turn it. Make sure that the notch on the pulley is straight up. Then make sure the cam gear is in the correct position. Take out spark plug # 1 and stick a screw driver down inside of it, if it hits then you are at TDC.

NOTE: nothing should be wrong with the internals due to the fact that SOHC's are non-interference motor. Witch means that there is enough room so the wont collide.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah yes, thank you.
Hmm. I hear that they are interference.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ampm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vietballer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NOTE: nothing should be wrong with the internals due to the fact that SOHC's are non-interference motor. Witch means that there is enough room so the wont collide.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said he was sitting still giving it gas. they may be non-interference at idle but im sure no motor at 7500rpm is non-interference especially with stock valve springs.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BILLETGRIP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BILLETGRIP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he said he was sitting still giving it gas. they may be non-interference at idle but im sure no motor at 7500rpm is non-interference especially with stock valve springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not how it works... On a non interferance engine it dosen't matter what you do the piston can be all the way up and the valves can be all the way down and nothing will hit. Allthough I thought pretty much all Honda motors were interferance.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bob_760)

yes true as far as the cam will push it down but not as far as the cam will throw it down at that high of a rpm with stock springs.(valve float)