Notices

tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing

quick question, my tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps popping, they will stay on if i dont start my car, minute i start my car they dim out then the fuse pops and they turn off, any idea wat this may be? i dont have all my fuses in my box that ar supposed to be there but theres only like 2 or maybe 3 missing, could that be causing it to pop? please help me out its killing me i cant drive my car in the dark lol
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing (9c1r1x.5)

do you have the right fuse in the spot. ? 5, 7.5, 10, 15 ect
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing (be8teensee1)

if you do you might want to start tracing wires and look for the short, also if you dont start the car will it still pop?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing (be8teensee1)

no it only pops wen i start the car, and yes it takes a 15 and i tried a 15 and it still pops
Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM

is your climate control broken? because mine was and it was just sitting in the dash moving around and eventually the insulation on one of the wires to light up the climate control rubbed off and that what was causing mine to blow
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a aftermarket radio, if so I would start looking at the connections there
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: tail light and instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this exact same thing is happening to me. I replaced my cd player and made SURE all wires were wrapped well or used wire nuts to ensure no shorts.

It only blows when I go to start my car. Please help, I can't drive without tailights!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I like the tuna here

No one knows what this could be? I just need to be pointed in the right direction...preferably something slightly more specific than "UTFSE" (because I did, thats where this thread came from lol) or "Check your wiring". Anything better than that, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I like the tuna here

Ok, update... I did some more research online and found what appeared to be the problem: I wired up my newly installed head unit with the ground wire spliced to the negative wire from my car...changed that, grounded it on the chassis and had ABSOLUTELY NO problems for a day and a half. Normally it would pop the fuse just as soon as I turned the key to start it, but after I changed that it worked perfectly.

I was happy.

But then...the goddammed thing blew twice tonight! Once after 30 mins of driving around, then when I replaced it, it blew again in only 2 minutes! WTGF?!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you wired or "spliced" anything aftermarket or hooked anything up off of a "splice"?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I like the tuna here

Ah, thanks for the response...I forgot to update this with how I fixed it. Once my windshield fluid squirters started squirting in synch with my left turn signal, I knew it had to be exposed wires somewhere. So I opened the hood and searched EVERYWHERE for exposed copper...and found that my dumb a$$ had taken the engine bay wiring looms loose from their mounting points in preperation for a wire tuck. And then got distracted and never wire tucked it OR put them back, lol.

So after looking around for a while I saw one loom literally sitting on my cam gear...flipped it over and found a bunch of exposed wires where my cam gear had rubbed the looming and the insulation off. Tore that apart, spliced them all back together and wrapped them, reloomed them, and no problems since.

Moral of the story? Finish the project at hand or don't start the motherfuker. ADD FTL lol.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:02 AM
Trial User

Ok guys I am having the same problem tail light fuse keeps blowing. We unplugged everything and thought we had it narrowed down to the tag light so we changed it. It worked for 30 minutes then blew. I changed the combo switch and it ran for a day like a champ and then boom here we go again. All wires look good so I am just dumb founded at what it could be and I am sure I am like others a garage is gonna charge you tons to try and find the problem. Can a cruise control switch blow ? Or my dash lights the issue? I took out the factory radio and all the wires look good.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jenn W.
Ok guys I am having the same problem tail light fuse keeps blowing. We unplugged everything and thought we had it narrowed down to the tag light so we changed it. It worked for 30 minutes then blew. I changed the combo switch and it ran for a day like a champ and then boom here we go again. All wires look good so I am just dumb founded at what it could be and I am sure I am like others a garage is gonna charge you tons to try and find the problem. Can a cruise control switch blow ? Or my dash lights the issue? I took out the factory radio and all the wires look good.
Interesting about this I had the EXACT same problem in October a few years ago after turning on the heat and pulling away from work, went over a bump and my dash cluster and tail lights blew a fuse. Absolutely could not find the problem for almost a year so in the meantime I bought some pull behind trailer tail lights and double stick taped them to the civic tail lights and ran the wires through the hatch to a switch and then I bought a cigarette lighter 12v led light and taped that to my gauge cluster.

Then low and behold I replaced my stereo about a year later and noticed the electrical tape holding my wires together behind my radio had melted off from the heat and had exposed wiring. Wired up the new stereo with WIRE CAPS, then electrical tape (don't forget to replace the fuse again) and BOOM everything worked perfectly, and had my car back to looking like a normal stock Honda.

Theres definitely exposed wiring somewhere. If this is a factory radio then thats probably not your problem, but the fuses will only blow if theres an extra load somewhere which is a good indication wires are touching that shouldn't be.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tail light fuse keeps blowing-2000 Honda CRV

My Honda CRV tail light fuse pops once engineer is started. I've followed wires from the battery to check for any exposed out ground wires, none! I've followed the wires from behind the fuse and didn't see any wires touching or exposed!
Can't drive once the sun sets, any advice?

Thanks!
Wrong fuse, all is well!

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this exact same thing is happening to me. I replaced my cd player and made SURE all wires were wrapped well or used wire nuts to ensure no shorts.

It only blows when I go to start my car. Please help, I can't drive without tailights!

Last edited by Starlene6977; 02-18-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=be8teensee1;27674996]do you have the right fuse in the spot. ? 5, 7.5, 10, 15 ect [/QUOTE

NO, the wrong fuse was the problem.

Last edited by Starlene6977; 02-18-2023 at 11:09 AM.