Notices

storing CRX gas tank for a few months

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storing CRX gas tank for a few months

I'm sorta breaking down my CRX in preparation for engine bay and underside painting so I took out the gas tank. My question is, "What's the best way to store it since the tank probably won't go back in for another 2-3 months?"

I'm worried about this because the first time I had my car painted (took about 1 year before I actually got it back) the gas tank was rusting out inside. I think it was due to not filling up before having it painted and the fact it sat for so long. Regardless, I'm guessing any coating that might be on the inner tank walls isn't very durable?

Also, my current gas tank is practically brand new. After my old one rusted out, I bought a new one from Honda and it probably has less than 10K miles on it.

As of now, the tank is out and I've covered all the open ports. It was a little under half full when I removed it and I left the gas in it since I figured that would help displace moisture. Should I add some kind of additive to the gas in there?

I know this is a kind of general tech question, but since I only have experience dismantling/installing a CRX gas tank, I put this thread here.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: storing CRX gas tank for a few months

it should be fine stored the way you have it but if you're really worried you could always use sta-bil
Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TearSDMF89dx
it should be fine stored the way you have it but if you're really worried you could always use sta-bil
Thanks for the advice TearSDMF89dx.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:00 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are multiple problems with these theories...

1.) Half a tank of gas is just that - half of your tank is exposed.
2.) Vapors are vented off due to the nature of a fuel tank - don't store it near open flame with gas in it.
3.) The fuel can break down and turn to "varnish" if an stabilizer isn't used.
4.) If there is ANY ethonal in your tank (most places are "E10" now), it WILL absorb water.
To name a few...

My advice would be to fill up the tank with premium fuel and add "STA-BIL" to the fuel before you add it. As you stated before - be sure to cap all the lines/orfrices with something that will seal it off. This is really the only way to be sure your tank will not rust on the inside. This should keep for 12-15 months before the fuel starts to turn for the worse.

There are other ways, but this will probably be the easiest and most obtainable solution. Plus, when you put it back in you will have a full tank of gas to suit your needs be it turbo, high compression, or just a stock engine.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
There are multiple problems with these theories...

1.) Half a tank of gas is just that - half of your tank is exposed.
2.) Vapors are vented off due to the nature of a fuel tank - don't store it near open flame with gas in it.
3.) The fuel can break down and turn to "varnish" if an stabilizer isn't used.
4.) If there is ANY ethonal in your tank (most places are "E10" now), it WILL absorb water.
To name a few...

My advice would be to fill up the tank with premium fuel and add "STA-BIL" to the fuel before you add it. As you stated before - be sure to cap all the lines/orfrices with something that will seal it off. This is really the only way to be sure your tank will not rust on the inside. This should keep for 12-15 months before the fuel starts to turn for the worse.

There are other ways, but this will probably be the easiest and most obtainable solution. Plus, when you put it back in you will have a full tank of gas to suit your needs be it turbo, high compression, or just a stock engine.

Duly noted N3va3vaSatisfi3d. That makes a lot of sense so I'm going to go with what you suggest. I guess it's a good thing that I was using 93 octane already.