Notices

Squealing drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squealing drum brakes

I changed my rear wheel hubs in my 1990 STD hatch about 5 months ago, the wheel bearings in my driver side were going bad and I was getting a loud hum as I drove. After I changed them, the sound went away. About 3 months ago, I started to small get a squealing from my passenger rear drum brake at various times when I brake. I took off the drum cover saw that the rear pads still had a lot of meat left in them and cleaned all the brake dust with brake cleaner and did that on both sides. Both were pretty dirty since I had not done a thorough cleaning in years. The squeal went away. Recently, about a week ago, the squealing is back (but in my passenger side) when I brake and it is getting louder and louder. Is there something else that I can do to prevent the squealing? I am surprised it is squealing already since the last cleaning since it was years before that cleaning and there was no squealing during that time. As I stated earlier, the brake shoes still had a lot left in them, and this squealing only happens as I brake to a complete stop. One thing that I did notice is that on my stock hubs, there was a screw on each side that I could screw the drum cover onto the hub. Since these are aftermarket replacement hubs from Autozone, the screws do not fit into the hub, so I left them off. I don't think that that would affect anything, right? I can check to see if the brakes need cleaning again, but I would rather do a long term fix, then have to do this every 3 months.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Squealing drum brakes

<p>I have only seen those screw holes&nbsp;used to put a bolt through to press the drum off the hub if it is really stuck on there.</p><p>As far as the squealing, I would try removing the drum and having it machined a little to clean it up on the braking surface. &nbsp;Also clean the shoes off with a scotchbrite pad and some brake cleaner. &nbsp;make sure to clean the drum out with brake cleaner before installing.<br />Sometimes the pad/drum/shoe/disc on brake systems get&nbsp;&quot;polished&quot; spots from contaminants or from the driver dragging the brakes. &nbsp;This spot doesn't provide friction as well as the rest of the brake and you get a squeal.</p>