Notices

Speratic spark, ignition going nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speratic spark, ignition going nuts

1989 Civic Hatchback DX B16A
So friday night we changed out my HG and we put the head back on, we went to prime the fuel and saw that we where leaking gas threw the #3 injector. After replacing the o ring, the #4 injector started to act up.

So Saturday I go buy all new o-rings and replaced all 4. Now back to starting the car. As we turned the key I heard a POP come from the Dizzy. Looks like we fried the dizzy so I gut a old dizzy and replace the ignitor & coil. Try to start it and No spark. Try another coil/ignitor , still No spark.

So I go get a dizzy of my CRX and use it. We got spark but its speratic. 1-2-3------4----5-6

We check timing. Its dead on. We take of the cap, and see that the screw that should be holding the rotor is missing. We get a screw and think thats the problem. Back to starting up the car.
STILL NOTHING, got spark Got fuel, Got timing.
The car back fires and sounds like the timing is off 180. But we've checked everything a million times. Only code I'm getting is a 6 . Befor the HG swap there was noo caode. Now My car won't start and I got a code 6.

Looking at the first Dizzy, the shaft is cracked. That might be the POP i heard. but i'm not shre.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speratic spark, ignition going nuts (91' LS-VTEC)

Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speratic spark, ignition going nuts (91' LS-VTEC)

You got tech?

NOt dist.

Timing belt is off You need to make sure all is correct again.
Start with pulling No.1 sparkplug and make sure it is at tdc and align up the crank pulley with the white line. Then see if the dist rotor is aligned to #1 sparkplug wire terminal. If not remove the T-belt and turn the camshaft(s) and align up the marks with the valve gasket surface.
Tighten the tensioner after you turn the crank 1 - 2 degrees counterclockwise.

Then turn the crank clockwise a full two rotations and check to see if all in aligned again. Take your time and make sure this time.

It sounds like you can get a timing light on it. But you need the rpm's to be at 750 to get an acurate reading. And another thing did you find that rotor screw that came out?

Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speratic spark, ignition going nuts (thesmogman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Start with pulling No.1 sparkplug and make sure it is at tdc and align up the crank pulley with the white line. </TD></TR></TABLE> We did this a couple times. So I know thats rite.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then see if the dist rotor is aligned to #1 sparkplug wire terminal. If not remove the T-belt and turn the camshaft(s) and align up the marks with the valve gasket surface. </TD></TR></TABLE> This makes sence thow. Would explain why it seems like timing is off 180

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And another thing did you find that rotor screw that came out?
</TD></TR></TABLE> Yes, got that screw in there.

Once I get off work I'm going to try this. Thanks for the info