Notices

Sluggish Acceleration & Bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sluggish Acceleration & Bad MPG

main relays usually go out and most of the time the car won't start. not while its running... ^^^^
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1991civiczc
main relays usually go out and most of the time the car won't start. not while its running... ^^^^
Well just saying, because thats what happened to my friends car. It would start most of the time, and if it did it would run shitty...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KARSON
what does your car idle at when you first start it up? cause it could just be your thermostat, or cheak for a vaccum leak and your mass air sensor because this usally causes bad idleing. and your sensor will have your ecu running more or less fuel/air ratio hense bad gas mileage
The car idles about 1.5k RPMs and then drops after a few minutes. I dont feel anything abnormal about it. It settles at about 500-750 RPMs, right under the 1k mark, after about 5 mins or so.

A few people have mentioned something about a vacuum leak and mass air flow sensor. How would I test for a vacuum leak though?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you haven't already run a bottle of fuel system cleaner threw the car I would suggest doing so. Go to PepBoys and get either the Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner ($7.99) or the Gumout formula with Regane ($6.99). Those are currently the two best available on the market according to analysis and research done over at BITOG.

Personally I would avoid the Seafoam recommendation. It's unproven despite how quickly the rumor that it is supposedly amazing stuff spread like wildfire throughout automotive forums over the past few years. Analysis has shown it simply to be Isopropyl Alcohol and various other components as opposed to it being a 100% petroleum product that has been claimed by many. I wouldn't consider putting it in any motor of mine. I'd just choose a really solid conventional oil, like Pennzoil or Valvoline, and let it do its job cleaning the motor. A synthetic would do an even better job with cleansing but of course you'll spend more money. That's all up to you.

First thing I would do, especially considering the tune up you've done recently, is a leakdown test. See if all your cylinders are healthy and then go from there.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by saltypants
If you haven't already run a bottle of fuel system cleaner threw the car I would suggest doing so. Go to PepBoys and get either the Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner ($7.99) or the Gumout formula with Regane ($6.99). Those are currently the two best available on the market according to analysis and research done over at BITOG.

Personally I would avoid the Seafoam recommendation. It's unproven despite how quickly the rumor that it is supposedly amazing stuff spread like wildfire throughout automotive forums over the past few years. Analysis has shown it simply to be Isopropyl Alcohol and various other components as opposed to it being a 100% petroleum product that has been claimed by many. I wouldn't consider putting it in any motor of mine. I'd just choose a really solid conventional oil, like Pennzoil or Valvoline, and let it do its job cleaning the motor. A synthetic would do an even better job with cleansing but of course you'll spend more money. That's all up to you.

First thing I would do, especially considering the tune up you've done recently, is a leakdown test. See if all your cylinders are healthy and then go from there.
The feeling is mutual about the Seafoam. Ive still havent fully bought into the idea.

I did clean the intake throttle body and sprayed some throttle cleaner into the TB when I replaced the TPS. I have used Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner in the past two or three tanks. I didnt notice much of a difference though.

My buddy does recommend doing a compression test, if that is the same as a leak down test. I need to find time in my sechdule and his to get around to it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the first thing you should have checked? Timing? or are you dicking around and just taking guesses at what it could be?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NGUSPEED
The car idles about 1.5k RPMs and then drops after a few minutes. I dont feel anything abnormal about it. It settles at about 500-750 RPMs, right under the 1k mark, after about 5 mins or so.

A few people have mentioned something about a vacuum leak and mass air flow sensor. How would I test for a vacuum leak though?
yeah the usual idle. but what you want to do for a vaccum leak test, and theres someother ways to do it, but connect a regulater to a air pump roughly at 3 pounds deppending on how bad it is, then take the air pump hose put it at a part of a vacuum fitting, so it sends air thru the intake mani, then turn it on, then mix up some soapy water and put it on vacuum area's and watch for bubbles forming and youve found your leak.. probably going to be a few. you can replace a part of the hose or get a new one with new fittings depending on how bad it is. have funn
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to a mechanic because when i changed my main wire harness on my civic the car didnt start.. so i told the mechanic dont tell me its this and that because i just changed the dizzy plugs and everything for a tune up a few days later he calls me and tells me that my car starts when i went to pick it up it WASN'T RUNNING RIGHT AT ALLL i got extremely mad at him and told him im not giving you 150 heres 100 because you messed up my car he tells me no no just leave it here for a few more days and ill find out what the problem is and i said i know the problem YOUR A RECKLESS LOUSY MECHANIC being so mad at my project car i just let it sit for a few weeks... my father came into town and we tried to find the problem which WE COULDN'T so when i got paid i went on different websites looking up problems for certain things because i knew that it only came down to certain parts going bad... i came across a description of a vacuum leak and i thought to myself hey its worth a try to change the hoses since the engine is 15 years old. i hopped on ebay and ordered a vacuum hose kit for 30 bucks a few days later it came i installed it and VOOOOM my engine started up like the LS monster that it is LOL a mechanic would of charged me at least 100 to do this and it would of taken me days to get the car back.... SO GO ON EBAY BUY SOME HOSES AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF ITS NOT HARD alll you need is the hoses,a knife to cut the hoses length, and needle nose plier to take off the hoses.... if it doesnt work then hey at least you know its not the hoses and you can move on to another location of the car but im sure it is the problem and by the way when i took off my hoses i noticed a nice size cut on the main hose on the under back part that the mechanic did so he can charge me more money for nothing since mechanics love to rip people off i would suggest for you to change your hoses and if you still have the same problem then take your car to get it diagnosed by a computer at a mechanic shop and make sure you look at the computer and write down w'e code it has
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your hoses might look fine from eye view but remember just a small cut can make that issue and from the sounds of it your car is more than 10 years old so changing the vacuum hoses is like a tune up that you should do every few years
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnykawizzle
your hoses might look fine from eye view but remember just a small cut can make that issue and from the sounds of it your car is more than 10 years old so changing the vacuum hoses is like a tune up that you should do every few years
I am going to Advance Auto Parts tomorrow to pick up some vaccum hoses and start replacing mine. Hopefully that is the issue. Any suggestion as to what sizes I need?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Touching My Member

Almost a month after you originally posted and you still haven't checked timing?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CHECK TIMING LIKE EVERYONE SAID!

[/capslock]

that fixed my problem. see my last post. until then, you are forbidden to post any more
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im married with two kids and two jobs. Forgive me for trying to maximize what little time I have to enjoy my hobby.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im married with two kids and two jobs. Forgive me for trying to maximize what little time I have to enjoy my hobby.
bump after 1 month? you asked for help, and selectively pick and choose what to check for = those that have minimal connection to the sysmptoms you describe. so whats the update on the car?

In regards to my problem that is similar to yours: The timing belt was two teeth off. I reset the mechanical timing to factory specs and the motor (D16A6) idles really smooth. I had to adjust timing after at the dizzy with a light because I adjusted it so I can get the car on a dolly previously.

CHECK the mechanical timing
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Laserjock
bump after 1 month? you asked for help, and selectively pick and choose what to check for = those that have minimal connection to the sysmptoms you describe. so whats the update on the car?

In regards to my problem that is similar to yours: The timing belt was two teeth off. I reset the mechanical timing to factory specs and the motor (D16A6) idles really smooth. I had to adjust timing after at the dizzy with a light because I adjusted it so I can get the car on a dolly previously.

CHECK the mechanical timing
The car has been sitting for almost a month now. Ive been trying to locate a timing gun, and figure out how to use it. I just spent a load of money buying a laptop for the wife for school. I hope to have this done tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car has been sitting for almost a month now. Ive been trying to locate a timing gun, and figure out how to use it. I just spent a load of money buying a laptop for the wife for school. I hope to have this done tomorrow.
NO, NO, NO!

CHECK MECHANICAL TIMING 1ST!

That means line up the timing mark on the crank pulley with the timing marks on the cam pulley. You can rent/borrow a timing gun from some parts store after you CHECK MECHANICAL TIMING 1ST.

And stop selectively reading

Step 1

Step 2

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO, NO, NO!

CHECK MECHANICAL TIMING 1ST!

That means line up the timing mark on the crank pulley with the timing marks on the cam pulley. You can rent/borrow a timing gun from some parts store after you CHECK MECHANICAL TIMING 1ST.

And stop selectively reading

Step 1

Step 2

Thanks for this information. I'm going out right now to get the dead bird off my car, and then taking a look.

If the mechanical timing is off, how would I reset it?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for this information. I'm going out right now to get the dead bird off my car, and then taking a look.

If the mechanical timing is off, how would I reset it?

Please dont quote pictures

The bird comment is weird lol therefore YOU are weird

Set No1 piston to TDC and/or refer to crank TDC pic

Loosen belt tensioner

Slip Timing belt off cam sprocket. Rotate "UP" mark is up and 2 lines line up with cylinder base

Replace belt etc
Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Loosen belt tensioner

Slip Timing belt off cam sprocket. Rotate "UP" mark is up and 2 lines line up with cylinder base

Replace belt etc
Nice. Thanks for all the information.

As for the bird comment, one fell out of the tree I parked under and is lying there. LOL! Weird in deed.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check ur o2 sensor that might be it
Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Loosen belt tensioner

Replace belt etc
The timing was off by two teeth. I've adjusted everything and taken it for a short spin around the block, and it seems to run alot better. However, I need to take it for a longer drive to really know if it resolved the issue. Im thinking it did. Thank you to everyone for your help.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You set mechanical timing, but did you use a timing light to time the distributor?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gringo7718
You set mechanical timing, but did you use a timing light to time the distributor?
No I did not. However, I checked the distributer and when its at TDC, the rotor is on cylinder.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So how did the long drive go? Did that hesitation go away when you are trying to hold a steady cruise? I get my hesitation at around 3200 rpm.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Acceleration & Bad MPG